Swords Evolution

hotmustang95

Reaction score
This is the build thread for my 1995 Mustang GTS. Now this thread was started back in 2006 on another site so what I did was copy it and paste it here. I'll be updating it with new stuff from here on out but I needed to show the beginings of the car. There's too much info and pics for me to go over everything and change so ignore some references to people and places that you might see. I'll only copy and past my own post up to today and not everyone else's reply's. When I bought my car it was almost completely stock. All it had was flowmaster mufflers and 3.73 gears. I once named my car SWORD, hence the title.

And so it begins.............

Ive been documenting everything Ive ever done to the car since when i got it. It first was just a street car but soon after joining the PBMC and getting to race it on famous road courses it's slowly been going to the dark side.

HERE WE GO......

This is most of the pics i have of my car since when i got it like 5 years ago. Back before i even had a computer or digital camera, i used disposable cameras. Today i put some of the old pics i have threw the scanner and put them on my files. You'll see what Ive done to the car since.
This is the only pic i have of the car stock with my then girl now wife Damaris= hotfox90
stock95gt.jpg
None of this is in the order of installation.

ENGINE & DRIVE TRAIN:
UPR cold air intake
UPRCOLDAIRINTAKE.jpg
UPR smog pump eliminator bracket
UPRspeliminator.jpg
MAC shorty headers
SHORTYHEADERS.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
FLUIDYN aluminum radiator
RADIATORFAN.jpg

FLUIDYNERADIATOR.jpg

Aluminum underdrive pulleys, crank, water pump, power steering, altinator, and idler.
aluminumunderdrivepulleys.jpg

HPIM1208.jpg

ALUMINUMPULLYS.jpg

Modified mass air housing
HPIM1002.jpg

HPIM1004.jpg

Flowmaster mufflers with offroad H pipe
FLOWMASTERS.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Ford racing Aluminum drivshaft
driveshaft.jpg

ALUMINUMDRIVESHAFT.jpg

Steeda tri-ax with pistol grip shifter
TRIAXPISTOLGRIP.jpg

Brakes:Cobra upgrade
I did some homework and found out that the brakes from 94 to 04 are the same, so this helped me to find what i have today. I almost got them from ford racing but i saved alot of money and got everything through ebay. Calipers, rotors, and stainless steel brake lines all for under $375.
Before:fronts
HPIM0399.jpg

Almost new calipers
HPIM1172.jpg

New brake lines
HPIM1160.jpg

New rotors
cobrarotors.jpg

Installed
COMPLETEDINSTALL.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
The body of the car was something i knew how it was gona look before i even had a stang. About 2 years before i owned it i was in pensicola, Fl on work and one nite while outside the hotel there was a red 94-98 mustang with the baddest body kit ive ever seen on a stang and i remember it said Boss Shinoda on the windshied and i told myself if i ever own a mustang id get that kit. Well, after a year of owning my car i remembered the company and got to work. There not cheap, the chin and the rear spoilers were $400 each. Also the hurricanes of 05 really hurt my car so thats why you see the new paint work below.
Body and rims:

Cobra R hood
COBRARHOOD.jpg

Boss Shinoda chin spoiler and new headlights
bossshinodachinspoiler.jpg

HPIM0287.jpg

HPIM1290.jpg

Boss Shinoda super spoiler
BOSSSHINODASUPERSPOILER.jpg

SHINODAWINGPINTED.jpg

Rims
17x8 + 17x10.5

BULLITRIMSKUMHOTIRE.jpg

FH000008.jpg

Unpainted taillights:
newtaillight.jpg

newtaillights.jpg

Sword emblem
newemblem-1.jpg

Body today
SWORD2.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
The interior of the car was the biggest change i did, it had tan seats, and carpet when i got it. After i was done it had black carpet, black leather seats, new hand made floormates, a newer center consle, new FR500 steering wheel, steeda pedals, cd/dvd jensen in dash unit, mtx subwoofer and amps, and a reverse glow gauges. EVERYTHING WAS FROM EBAY.

Interior:

Old carpet
oldcapet.jpg

oldcarpetout.jpg

New carpet
newcarpet.jpg

blackcarpet.jpg

New handmade floormates
custumfloormates.jpg

custumfloormate.jpg

New radio and system
JENSONDVDPLAYER.jpg

SYSTEM1.jpg

Picture045.jpg

New FR500 steering wheel
FR2000WHEEL.jpg

Reverse glow gauges
REVERSEGLOWGAGES.jpg

Steeda pedals
STEEDAPEDALSHANDMADEMATES.jpg

New Evo seats from ebay:
HPIM1336.jpg

HPIM1341.jpg

Used rear seats from ebay:
Leatherseatsrear.jpg

These are the things ive done to the car to date. There are some things i didnt post up like the KING COBRA CLUTCH and little things but you get the picture. Some people wonderwhy the hell dont you do something with the engine, truth is it runs even beter today then ever, and ive never had to worry about it, but im in the works of changing that. My goal is to get like 350 to 400 horses from a 331 stroker. Ill be usingmy forged pistons and a stock block. I also have iron gt40 heads with 1.7 rockers. I think ill get gt40 intake allready ported and honed with a different cam.

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Bear Eradaspeed 13" rear kit:

new001-2.jpg

Before:
new002-1.jpg

After:
new003-2.jpg

New gauge pod with autometer cobalt temp+air/fuel
new-3.jpg

HPIM0387.jpg

Engine work:
All done by George=geo302/ TMS

Heres the pics of the engine work that went on about a month ago. Its the iron gt40 heads with 1.7 crane rockers and the new BBK SSI intake plus all the other things i bought for the swap.

Goodies
new001-3.jpg

Work starts
new001-4.jpg

new002-4.jpg

Before
ENGINEBAY.jpg

After
new001-7.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Upgraded the rims with ones with rivets in them:
91MUSTANG003-3.jpg

new002-5.jpg

I had these rims for about 2 years. When i really got into road racing i decided to purchase a set of black cobra r's cause they have a racy look to them. I also bought some nitto's nt-01's and Had them mounted so i could show them off at the PBMC car show at WAF. Well i liked the look so much that i sold the old rime and got another set of the same rims for the street.

New rims- cobra-Rs in black:
oe-m-bcr-5-1x.jpg

HPIM0855.jpg

New Mac diff cover
HPIM0850.jpg

Steeda tubular front sway bar with end links:
HPIM0851.jpg

HPIM0852.jpg

UPR off road x pipe:
painted with high heat
uprxpipe.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Steeda 4 bolt caster/camber plates

Added these not to long ago. Got them installed by Ernie Bello.
new001-1.jpg

Steedaccplates.jpg

Custom made tower brace:
TOWER.jpg

New Centerforce clutch and flywheel:
all work by Jake@ power by the hour

Picture026.jpg

Picture025.jpg

With the flywheel the aluminum flywheel the engine revs much easier and takes longer to unrev so it helps when your performing heal/toe at the track.

BBK 70mm TB
Got this to compliment the intake

Picture031-1.jpg

Picture036.jpg

MAGNAFLOW 4'' RACE MUFFLERS
with new flow tubes:

I decided to finish my upr x pipe with new 2.5'' flow tubes to replace the factory ones and new 4'' round race mufflers from Magnaflow along with eliminating the tail pipes and using dumps. No other mod Ive done to the car has put a bigger smile on my face then this one. What a difference

74aa_1.jpg

Ninaspics.jpg

Ninaspics005-1.jpg

ENERGY SUSPENSION motor mounts

My engine would actually make a loud clunk noise when i would lift off of the throttle after a hard acceleration. It sounded just like as if it where just loose in there. Well thats what it turned out to be. I'm not gonna bother showing pics of the old ones but trust me when i say the driver side mount was no longer there. I had George @ TMS do the install of the new mounts for me.

Ninaspics002.jpg

Bilstein sport struts and steeda lowering springs

Today i replaced the front suspension with parts that i got from a pbmc member (thanks WATERBOY=Doug ). My front struts have been bottoming out at Moroso and Homestead and today when i pulled them one was very soft and the other was just dead, it had no compression. I also replaced the BBK springs i had with the ones from steeda. The difference i see between the two are that the steeda springs have less coil and i think cause of their rating are stiffer the then bbks causing the nose of the car to sit higher then before. I might be wrong but to me it looks like the front of the car is now higher. I'm gonna run it like this at Sebring and see what happens. I might end up changing out the steeda's back to the BBKs cause it allows the nose to sit down more.
Picture052.jpg

Picture053.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Enery Suspention tranny mount

I finally installed the tranny mount that i had sitting in my garage for a month. The old one was crap and destroyed.
Picture041-1.jpg

Picture044.jpg

MM Subframe Connectors

About a month ago i had Jake @ Power By The Hour install my Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors for me. These are supposed to be stronger then the originals from them. Waiting to take them to a track event and try them out.
MMFL-3PC-7856rs.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Here's what subframe's will do for your car. When you jack up your car only that side will go up, with these the whole ass comes up.
NEWSTUFF003.jpg

Tinted rear lights:
I had the rear lights painted dark
NEWSTUFF007.jpg

Projector Headlights
Picture026-1.jpg

headlights009.jpg

headlights010.jpg

Steeda rear strut brace

I helped Mitch ( sirl ) not to long ago in welding in his and i found one on ebay so i got it for myself.
NEWSTUFF.jpg

UltraShield Aluminum race seat

My new race seat came in yesterday and i got it installed this afternoon. I bolted it to the power seat track so that way its alot easier to get in and out and allow me to adjust to my liking. Sometime this week the new harness bar will get here to Murry's and when i pick it up ill grab a 5 point harness while im there.

without cover:
NEWSTUFF001.jpg

With:
NEWSTUFF003-1.jpg

installed:
NEWSTUFF004.jpg

NEWSTUFF005.jpg

Corbeau harness bar

Got the day off today and spent it messing with the car alittle. I got the harness bar in and i still need to install the 5 point after i get the front mount from steeda. Looks like im gona need another harness for the passenger while on track with an instructor.
NEWSTUFF002.jpg

NEWSTUFF001-1.jpg

Finished the harness install finally.
harness.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
New suspension

So last week was the night event at PBIR and the car had all types of issues, mainly the front suspension. Also the rear end was leaking fluid from both ends and getting on the rear brakes. Few days later i left the car at TMS to get the rear fixed but then ended up doing allot more. Since they were gonna lower the rear down and check my steering i gave the boys the go ahead to install Steeda full race competition front springs and sport rears, bump steer kit, x2 ball joints and lower control arm bushings. I also needed 3 new studs on my back right side, thanks to me, from taking a hammer to that rotor for an hour cause it wouldn't come off. Guys did a great job in staying late at night installing it all and fixing my steering issue. The next day i got the car over to Wayne Ackers Ford to get an aggressive alignment on it for mainly track use and a little street. I'm very surprised how nice the car feels even though it has 1000# race springs in it.

The goodies:
DCP_1855.jpg

Here's a pic of the old ball joint, pretty bad:
DCP_1852.jpg

Lower control arm with bushings installed waiting for some paint:
DCP_1864.jpg

Finished:
DCP_1869.jpg

Rad fan out of a 02 and new overflow bottle
My old fan took a dump again and i didn't want to spend the money for a new one so a had my stepfather find me one but it was out of a newer stang so i modified it to work for me.
In the pic the stock one is on the right.
HPIM1537.jpg

Cut up the new one to fit
HPIM1538.jpg

New overflow bottle
with the different fan the old bottle did not fit so this one fixed that and it saves allot of room.
HPIM0003.jpg

With this new setup more air is allowed to pass thru cause the fan doesn't have that extra plastic covering the rest of the radiator and the bottle is smaller.
HPIM0004.jpg

Trick power steering cap:
This is for supercharged or turbo ford cars. It's made by Ford and i found it on Ebay. My car's PSP is at an angle so every time i corner real hard it spills out so with this piece it's hard for that to happened.
HPIM1570.jpg

HPIM1569.jpg

OK, so two weekends ago at PBIR for the PBOC event my car had an engine failure. It happened in the first session of the day. Car was handling great after the goodies that where put in and the alignment that Jeff gave it when i felt a bad vibration. I slowed down a little and it got worse so i cruised it into the pits where the vibration got really bad so i turned it off. I thought the engines time had come. Lucky me it turned out to be the famous harmonic balancer separation, the rubber in the center had disintegrated. That was the end of my weekend and had the car towed home where it's been for the last two weeks. Tonight i finally got the new SFI approved damper from Murray's and after i sanded the crank shaft snout and the inside of the damper so there be no problems installing the new one. It worked great, went rite on easy.
HPIM0083.jpg

Oh and yea, since i couldn't get my impact gun between the balancer bolt and the radiator to remove the old one i decided to eliminate my ac once and for all. After both radiators where out of the way it was easy. Now cause the compressor was removed i needed a new belt so i decided to get a new shorter one bypassing the smog pump pulley also. Here's what it looks like now.
HPIM0084.jpg

After everything was back in it started fine and i let it run for 10 minutes so it could heat up and i could keep filling the radiator up. Took it for a spin and checked under for any leaks and nothing. Awesome, she's alive. Here it is finished.
HPIM0085.jpg

As of today the car runs very cool. Last weekend it was warm and i beat on the car a little but the temp stayed at 150, thats crazy for this car thats been running hot all it's life. The hottest it got was 180 when i cruised around downtown Delray stuck in traffic but once i got moving the temp fell again. I didn't get a chance really test it cause of what happened but I'm hopping to run at HMS on April.

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
4 point with removable harness bar

Got the car back yesterday afternoon from Anthony @ Race Car Builders. I'm happy with it. Now with the removable bar i can have the little one sit in the back once again instead of taking two cars to a meet or show. I was going to install some type of back brace from the bar to the back of the seat but i decided to let them do it instead and that was a good call cause the mount that they fab'd up is way better then anything i had in mind. The seat is now braced off real good.

Here's the back of the seat
HPIM0203.jpg

Here you can see how the bar is removed
HPIM0204.jpg

HPIM0208.jpg

Here's how it looks in the trunk
HPIM0210.jpg

A closer look at one of the mounting points in the trunk. They atteched the two back points to my rear strut brace to tie it all in.
HPIM0211.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Cobra rear brake upgrade

During the Svtoa/ Camp Steeda dinner this year i won a gift certificate for lowering springs or race springs. Not too long after during the TMS show i won $200 worth of certificates too. So i made a deal with Ted and traded the Steeda gift card for new cobra rear calipers and used the other cards towards the cobra rear kit. Dropped the car off this morning and the guys got to work. What you see in the before pics are the Bear rear upgrade kit that consist of 2 big 14" rotors and 2 relocating brackets that move the stock caliper outward to allow for the fitment of the big rotors. This setup has worked well for me on the street and on track but i always knew if something went wrong with the rotors at a track event there be no place that would carry these rotors so thats why i went with the tried and true cobra kit. This way if ever something went wrong all the parts can be had at a local parts store.

Before:
HPIM0334.jpg

New Parts:
HPIM0327.jpg

HPIM0330.jpg

HPIM0342.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Finally got of my ass tonight and re-customized my already custom made tower brace. This is the once stock brace that was OEM on the 95 that i had previously chopped up and re-welded to give room for the taller wider BBK SSI intake. Worked great for a while until i swapped out the stock TB for a larger BBK unit. Now the throttle linkage would hit the bottom of the brace preventing it from working correctly so i had to remove the brace. Tonight i decided to take a torch to the brace and soften the metal enough at certain points allowing me to hand bend the brace, giving it more of a arch in the center. This gave me more then expected clearance for the linkage to properly work now. Some guys run the tower brace and some don't. I like the idea of the brace and since i had it and made it work again it's back in.

HPIM0457.jpg

HPIM0458.jpg

HPIM0459.jpg

HPIM0460.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
The Newer Motor Build

In case you missed it. Bout 2 weeks ago while leaving the Dolphins parking lot after spending the day watching the Canes the car's engine finally let go. I was driving normal, not gunning it or anything. It was just it's time. Here's what i found.

CIMG0618.jpg

CIMG0620.jpg

Today I started the new motor build. Got the rotating assembly back yesterday and got to town. Today's goal was to finish the bottom end. The block I had on standby I purchased a while ago and it was in great shape. I prepped it myself and painted it with the heads on for the future build.

new005.jpg

That was a year and a half ago. I have since then taken the heads from the block and installed them on my engine with the new BBK-SSI intake.
http://www.stangsofsouthflorida.com/...ead.php?t=2172

Today the block was taken to my stepfather's house for the build along with the car. We had to reprep the engine since it's been sitting for like 2 years in my garage covered up and it had a little surface rust. We rented a hone and cleaned up the boars and I used an air tool with scratch pads to clean up every place there would be gasket.

MOTORBUILD010.jpg

Here's a closer look at the boars.

MOTORBUILD008.jpg

I had the stock crank and forged pistons from another 302 reconditioned at the machine shop who also supplied me with the new correct size bearings.

MOTORBUILD011.jpg

MOTORBUILD014.jpg

MOTORBUILD012.jpg

I used ARP main studs I had previously purchased for this build to hold everything in it's place and used liberal amounts of assembly lube. Bottom end is done and tomorrow we'll pull the blown engine and tear into it to see the real damage. I'm crossing my fingers and hopping there's no bent valve's or pushrods.

MOTORBUILD016.jpg

MOTORBUILD017.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
So, today we started on the removal of the old engine from the car. Got it all out and on the engine stand for tomorrows teardown. After we lifted it out of the bay we noticed more damage to the front of the block. I'll post those pics tomorrow but from what we saw it's gona be fun when we tear into it to see what the real damage is. More pics from today.

HPIM0537.jpg

HPIM0538.jpg

HPIM0539.jpg

HPIM0540.jpg

HPIM0541.jpg

HPIM0542.jpg

HPIM0543.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Didn't get much done today. Started taking the old engine apart but hit a snag with the balancer. It wont come off. Strange cause it's a new piece installed since Feb of this year and the old one came rite off and I sanded the snout off a little and this new one glided rite in with ease. Gonna bring the big guns tomorrow along with some fire to try and get it off. I did get the heads off thou and found this:

HPIM0546.jpg

I don't see anything wrong do you?????

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
So, the pics of the devastation are here. I've never seen anything like this. I'm sure guys that have been in the engine building for a while have probably seen worse but holy crap did this thing blow up. I needed to reuse the stock cam so we gently removed it from the block and sent it out for a check up and cleaning. It was saved. Also we got the balancer off easy with some heat and using my Dwelt 18v impact, 300 fp baby. As you'll see in the pics, I'm now waiting on a new HV oil pump with new pump shaft and a new Comp Cams double roller timing set. We never found the old chain.
MOTORBUILD030.jpg

MOTORBUILD029.jpg

MOTORBUILD028.jpg

Yes, this is the front half of the crank.
MOTORBUILD027.jpg

MOTORBUILD026.jpg

MOTORBUILD025.jpg

MOTORBUILD024.jpg

Bent oil shaft
MOTORBUILD023.jpg

Oil pump snapped at the base
MOTORBUILD022.jpg

MOTORBUILD021.jpg

MOTORBUILD020.jpg

MOTORBUILD019.jpg

This is what we found when we opened it up. Notice all the pieces of metal everywhere.
MOTORBUILD018.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Well since I'm waiting for some of the last parts to arrive for the buildup, today I got to installing the front tow hook. I couldn't find much info on how or where to attach this thing but with some common sense and a little Cuban ingenuity it's a done deal. After starring at it for a while i figured I wanted it welded to the strongest part of the car, the frame.
Here's the hook. It was to short for where I wanted to weld it so we went to the nearest matel shop and got another 7" of 3" wide by 3/16 thick flat bar and welded it to the end and painted it.
HPIM0551.jpg

HPIM0554.jpg

HPIM0556.jpg

Here it is already welded but I decided to add more strength to it buy bolting it also to the bumper.
HPIM0557.jpg

Here's the driver side view of it. You can see I welded it in line with the frame for more strength. I also added the rod and attached it from the frame at a 45* angle down towards the bottom of the radiator support I guess is what that's called for added strength. Before the bumper was removed I marked the spot the hook would stick out and cut that section out. It still need's a little more trimming to one side but that'll get done later.
HPIM0559.jpg

HPIM0560.jpg

HPIM0561.jpg

HPIM0562.jpg

Tonight we started cleaning some of the engine parts so it all looks nice when it gets put back together and the aluminum valve covers needed attention. Buffing it with Polish didn't do anything so I wet sanded them.
HPIM0564.jpg

The headers looked nasty and old so we sanded and cleaned them up a little and painted them with ceramic silver.
HPIM0563.jpg

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Today was a good day for the engine build. We're almost done. All I need is to order new injectors. We could've put the motor back in the car but I want to tackle the injector swap on the stand. I found one injector all the way in the back has been leaking for some time now so I want to make sure the new one's go in without a snag. Getting real close now to firing it up.

Comp Cams timing set and Melling high volume oil pump.
HPIM0577.jpg

Original cam, cleaned up.
HPIM0579.jpg

HPIM0580.jpg

Needed a new timing cover after the last one was ripped to pieces. Got this one from Ebay, cleaned and painted it up along with the water pump.
HPIM0581.jpg

Cleaned and painted the oil pan and W/P pulley.
HPIM0582.jpg

HPIM0583.jpg

Gt-40 heads after valve job and new seals.
HPIM0584.jpg

HPIM0585.jpg

New stock style pushrods. Also used my old lifters. Gave them one hell of a clean and plenty of assembly lube on everything.
HPIM0587.jpg

99% Complete.
HPIM0588.jpg

HPIM0590.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online