Synthetic oil good or bad for my cobra

cobra97

Reaction score
I have been hearing good and bad things about putting full synthetic oil in my 97 Cobra. The biggest concern I have is whether there is any truth to synthetic oil making gaskets and seals leak on these cars. Anyone who has used synthetic in their sn-95 cobra please give me some feedback on this.

99PanozAIV

Reaction score
I have a '98 SVT Cobra engine in my Panoz and use only synthetics (Mobil 1). It's not as high mileage as a DD but still there's not a drop of anything on my garage floor. I took it to one of the best mod engine guys around here for some work and he didn't raise any concerns.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldnt recomend synthetic oil on a high mileage car with a motor that hasnt been rebuild

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
ıʌɐɾ said:
I wouldnt recomend synthetic oil on a high mileage car with a motor that hasnt been rebuild

I currently have 56K on mine.

9psi 98

Reaction score
...yeah buddy, green light for the synthetic oil. :thumb:

sk8inrj1

Reaction score
I've got a 94 cobra with a 5.0 and the motor has 145,000 miles. Its ran on conventional oil from day one as far as I know. I switched to the high mileage conventional oil and caused by oil pan and rear main seal to leak. Would it be safe to go to synthetic. I know the benefits. I run amsoil in my v6 f150, my mom's v6 saturn vue and in my dad's 07 powerstroke. And I know it will not stop the leaking. Just wanna know if there will be anything bad?

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
sk8inrj1 said:
I've got a 94 cobra with a 5.0 and the motor has 145,000 miles. Its ran on conventional oil from day one as far as I know. I switched to the high mileage conventional oil and caused by oil pan and rear main seal to leak. Would it be safe to go to synthetic. I know the benefits. I run amsoil in my v6 f150, my mom's v6 saturn vue and in my dad's 07 powerstroke. And I know it will not stop the leaking. Just wanna know if there will be anything bad?

Yeah Just wanted to know if there is any truth to full synthetic causing seals to leak on older cars like my 97. So far everyone has only good things to say. Haven't heard from anyone that says synthetic made there gaskets and seals leak after switching from standard oil.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Mine has 119k, is not DD but is run with full synthetic all around (Mobile 1). It used to burn a little oil, but has now seamed to stop that problem. Probably needs an oil change soon and ill prolly go with royal purple or mobile 1 again.. tranny has royal purple in it as well.

Have had NO problems as far as anything leaking oil whatso ever. So i would say go for it. Just remember, get 7 quarts not 6.

forcefed5pt0

Reaction score
royal purple in mine, just over 70k, good to go still. not a DD though, does a good bit of sitting and waiting :thumb:

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I noticed more leaking around my valve covers when I switches to synthetic...I switched back... :dunno:

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
Shifty Powers said:
Mine has 119k, is not DD but is run with full synthetic all around (Mobile 1). It used to burn a little oil, but has now seamed to stop that problem. Probably needs an oil change soon and ill prolly go with royal purple or mobile 1 again.. tranny has royal purple in it as well.

Have had NO problems as far as anything leaking oil whatso ever. So i would say go for it. Just remember, get 7 quarts not 6.

Why do you say 7 quarts? isnt standard capacity 6. Also I have heard a lot of stang guys are using 10w30 instead of 5w30 I do not mean to sound dumb. but what are the benefits of 10w30?

tazzracing1

Reaction score
I ran mobil 1 and I have ran royal purple when I had my 97 cobra and at 93,000 no leaks. Syn oil does not really cuase leaks it just has a easier time getting by a seal that was already weak. I still run royal purple in the 03 and I have run with royal purple in the trans and the readend.

skmcobra

Reaction score
I've got 56k miles on mine. Been running synthetic in it nearly the whole time since I bought it four years ago with 46k miles. No leaks and I open track the car several times a year.

sk8inrj1

Reaction score
After using conventional high mileage oil and getting leaks, I went and put mobile 1 synthetic high mileage and it no longer leaks! I am running mobile 1 high mileage 5w40

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I run Mobil 1 in my Cobra and I ran it in my GT, no problems with either one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online