T45 issues

Bass13j

Reaction score
I need help with this t45 guys. I recently put 3.73 gears in and otw home I snatched second gear pretty hard and lost it I made it home with 1st and 3rd, but after parking it…now the car is locked in gear but the stick moves freely through each gear, is it the clutch? The transmission please someone help me

Venompower

Reaction score
I need help with this t45 guys. I recently put 3.73 gears in and otw home I snatched second gear pretty hard and lost it I made it home with 1st and 3rd, but after parking it…now the car is locked in gear but the stick moves freely through each gear, is it the clutch? The transmission please someone help me
Doesn't sound like the transmission, sounds internal... a bent shift fork with keep you in gear, but you wouldn't be able to move the shifter.

OP
OP
B

Bass13j

Reaction score
The shifter moves through every gear but there’s no resistance from the clutch I mean it’s got some pressure but not the normal amount. I mean I can’t even let off the clutch in neutral or I’m stalling out.

Venompower

Reaction score
The shifter moves through every gear but there’s no resistance from the clutch I mean it’s got some pressure but not the normal amount. I mean I can’t even let off the clutch in neutral or I’m stalling out.
I guess I'm confused, you said it's locked in gear but moving freely through the gears.

OP
OP
B

Bass13j

Reaction score
Yea the car has to be locked up either in the rear end or the tranny or clutch idk I just know that I don’t have neutral and the car at a stand still I can’t push it I can’t move it. The stick moves freely through the gears but idk could it maybe be the linkage

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’ve heard of this before and it’s usually a broken shift fork. It’ll get stuck in one gear but the shifter will be able to move freely, yet whatever position it’s in it’s still in that one gear.

My advice, once you get a new transmission get a good short throw shifter and adjust the shift stops so it won’t happen again. Good luck.

joemomma

Reaction score
And get some miles on that rearend before you beat on it too much. At least a few heat cycles.

Venompower

Reaction score
I’ve heard of this before and it’s usually a broken shift fork. It’ll get stuck in one gear but the shifter will be able to move freely, yet whatever position it’s in it’s still in that one gear.

My advice, once you get a new transmission get a good short throw shifter and adjust the shift stops so it won’t happen again. Good luck.
Good call, I've only ever bent one on an LS1 Camaro and you couldn't move the shifter out of third at first. Finally wrenched it out and it drove fine, it would just pop out of third if you didn't hold it in. However, if you completely broke it your description makes sense.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Take the shifter off and make sure the ball end isn’t broken off the shifter, or the roll pins the hold the block in place (little block that holds the shifter cup and moves the shift rail).

Akurma

Reaction score
Take the shifter off and make sure the ball end isn’t broken off the shifter, or the roll pins the hold the block in place (little block that holds the shifter cup and moves the shift rail).

^Was going to suggest this in addition to what others have said. To the OP, when the car is turned off and in what you think is neutral, turn the car back on and let off the clutch. Does the car lurch forward? if so the trans is stuck in a gear. Make sure you test this with nothing in front or behind you!!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their is a bolt on top of the trans a little bit up from the shifter location. Its possible the bolt broke. This bolt holds the shift linkage knuckle in place. Should it break, youll only have a few gears to select.

The t45 are awesome transmissions made with underrated parts. These trans come with parts that have tons of stressed corners that need to be radius reliefing. That bolt on top is one of them parts.

If youve handled any type of car rebuilds, you can definitely handle rebuilding a t45. Eaton style lock ring pliers, basic hand tools, rubber mallet and some riser blocks will get you by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online