T45 to T56 Conversion Question

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 97 Cobra that I am getting ready to pull and rebuild the motor. Transmission was pretty worn out whenever it was running so it would need attention as well. My question is aside from obtaining a T56 to install. What else would be required to convert?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The t45 had 2 different tailshaft housings, a gt and cobra. Transmission mounting point was the only difference. Why the difference, i have no clue, but their might be something needed for the t56 swap.

Someone bound to know something around in here.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You need the bell housing, driveshaft, shifter, wiring harness for the T56, and a swap crossmember from Stiffler’s.

Addicted

Reaction score
I do highly recommend the stifflers cross member though, I run one myself, matter of fact the same exact one you will need if you do it. If you ever want to see there craftsmanship just PM me and I can get some pics for you. Quality is awesome!

Addicted

Reaction score
O yeah man, you will need a new yoke for the driveshaft, spines are different.

UnarmedCrayon

Reaction score
I have done this swap, you will need a 03 cobra splined 10.5” clutch, you will need a different output spline for driveshaft, the mounting is not a big deal, but driveshaft length changes too. I run a HD Ford Racing 03 cobra shaft. My trans is unique, as it came to me second hand from a guy who had it built to bolt into his 99 Cobra. So mine uses factory splined input and output, so I have hybrid U-joints connecting my factory yokes on either side of that 03 cobra driveshaft. Mounting was not a big deal, I believe I just changed to a stock style urethane mount when swapping. The reverse lock out can be an issue too, either remove it, muscle past it, or wire it to a switch / brake pedal ( risky if you downshift under braking).

Now the speedo can be a big deal as in 99 they changed the pickup and signal type. 99+ is a mag pick up, factory is a gear driven Hall effect. I used a DM speedcal for years to great effect to translate and calibrate then new sensor signal to the factory dash. In storage, the DM box fried and the company is now belly up, so I’m currently searching for a solution there.

So, short version - factory 03 Cobra t-56 - input and output splines are different, driveshaft length is different, speedo pick up is entirely different. Bell-housing is unique to the T-56, but the factory one for the 03 cobra works just dandy on our blocks.

There are custom built options if you are ordering a new trans. You can get it with 97 factory splines input and output, as well as with a 99’s style gear driven sensor installed. With that option ( it would come with a bell housing as well) all you would need is to shorten the factory driveshaft and decide what to do with the reverse lockout.

Hope this helps, it’s all based on memory from about 12-13 years ago, but I’m generally pretty good with remembering details like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I have done this swap, you will need a 03 cobra splined 10.5” clutch, you will need a different output spline for driveshaft, the mounting is not a big deal, but driveshaft length changes too. I run a HD Ford Racing 03 cobra shaft. My trans is unique, as it came to me second hand from a guy who had it built to bolt into his 99 Cobra. So mine uses factory splined input and output, so I have hybrid U-joints connecting my factory yokes on either side of that 03 cobra driveshaft. Mounting was not a big deal, I believe I just changed to a stock style urethane mount when swapping. The reverse lock out can be an issue too, either remove it, muscle past it, or wire it to a switch / brake pedal ( risky if you downshift under braking).

Now the speedo can be a big deal as in 99 they changed the pickup and signal type. 99+ is a mag pick up, factory is a gear driven Hall effect. I used a DM speedcal for years to great effect to translate and calibrate then new sensor signal to the factory dash. In storage, the DM box fried and the company is now belly up, so I’m currently searching for a solution there.

So, short version - factory 03 Cobra t-56 - input and output splines are different, driveshaft length is different, speedo pick up is entirely different. Bell-housing is unique to the T-56, but the factory one for the 03 cobra works just dandy on our blocks.

There are custom built options if you are ordering a new trans. You can get it with 97 factory splines input and output, as well as with a 99’s style gear driven sensor installed. With that option ( it would come with a bell housing as well) all you would need is to shorten the factory driveshaft and decide what to do with the reverse lockout.

Hope this helps, it’s all based on memory from about 12-13 years ago, but I’m generally pretty good with remembering details like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you this is exactly the type of information I was searching for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.