T5 rattle in 3rd and 4th under load.

302hobronco

Reaction score
Hello. Not a new member but usually find what I need by the search tab.
Current issue, 94 gt t5. Just did a 331 build. (Very mild). But while I was doing the engine I did some tasteful upgrades to the Trans. Brass shifter cup, brass shift fork pads, the steel throw out bearing retainer and a Hurst shifter (shifter carry over from prior build)
I'm now getting a rattle noise in 3rd and 4th, under load and in the upper rpms/ speed. I can put my hand on it and I can feel through the shifter the rattle. Just driving normal zero issues and Trans shifts smooth.
Any one had this issue or similar? I know I need to pull the Trans to inspect but this is my daily and if this isn't running I'm stuck on a motorcycle in the morning cold lol . A little direction or what to look for would be much appreciated. Oh and my fluid level is correct.

Wmac

Reaction score
Did you use the original retainer shim, or shim the input shaft tight?

Maybe try the "stock" shifter cup in lieu of the brass cup?

OP
OP

302hobronco

Reaction score
I used the stock retainer shim. That's a good idea, swapping the brass cup for the stock plastic one. Maby I'm just hearing normal noise but it is louder due to the solid metal set up. Thank you

OP
OP

302hobronco

Reaction score
OK so pulled the shifter out and put the plastic shift retaining cup in. Rattle in 3rd and 4th under load still there. It isn't as loud but it is still there. The Trans has 144k on it if it is the stock unit. When I had it apart it was very clean inside. Guess I need to quit looking for the quick fix and just pull it. Figures I get the engine rebuilt and running good and now the Trans acts up lol. I'm going to limp it along until the 18th. Ill be putting it on the dyno to see what it puts down to the tires. Fingers crossed it holds out haha.

Wmac

Reaction score
When you pull the trans, check for end play in the input shaft. With any difference in tolerances between your old bearing retainer and the new one, there may be more "slop" and causing the vibration. You could possibly buy a little time by shimming it tight.

But with 144k on it, normal bearing wear, a refresh is probably not too far off. The full rebuild kits are not cheap any longer, but it's not a difficult diy job. Consider 3/4 billet keys and a steel cluster support plate.

There are a couple of very good instructional videos on the tube. Halon has a very good one on dvd from what I have heard.

Good luck and keep us posted on your dyno results.

OP
OP

302hobronco

Reaction score
I would like to put this thread to rest. I found my issue with the rattle noise in 3rd and 4th. As i was about to pull the trans because the rattle was getting worse..... i found the bolts to the differential pinion flange loose. I over looked them before just checking the u joints. I want to thank everyone who gave suggestions to the issue.

joemomma

Reaction score
Driving the car today I noticed mine is pretty noisy in 3rd/4th. Guess I know what to check.

OP
OP

302hobronco

Reaction score
Make sure to lock tight them. Mine backed out again. I used the blue stuff this time, so far so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online