T5 Swap.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Might actually be swapping the aode out for a T5 sometime in the near future. I'd be looking to buy a rebuilt T5 or just a used T5 bellhousing and put all new guts in. Would I be better off buying a whole "conversion" kit online rather than trying to piece everything together? Regardless of what I get, a new clutch would be going in too. Any tips, hints of what to look for?

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Make sure it has an sn95 length input shaft, as opposed to a fox length!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^ I've heard good things about MPS auto salvage. If you're not going to piece it together, that's a good buy.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
^ I've heard good things about MPS auto salvage. If you're not going to piece it together, that's a good buy.

Awesome. I've been looking for months for T5 kits, and they always have a kit ready to go. The clutch fork, and cable they come with are good or nah? I'd be looking to swap in a new stage one clutch, what brand, i haven't the slightest clue.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The clutch cable is from UPR so I doubt it'll last forever. OEM is best. The clutch fork will work fine.
The clutch kit is a heavy duty frpp iirc. Depending on what other mods you have done to the car at the time, that clutch should suffice for a mild N/A car.

RichV

Reaction score
A friend of mine got a kit from MPS, put it in, and the tranny had a bad seal. Had to take it back out. But you take that chance of buying used on anything.

A kit is nice because you should have everything. If I was doing it I'd probably get everything separate just because some things I'd want a specific brand or type.

Don't forget to at least advertise yours before you remove it, may pay for your swap, or at least part of it.

Also, look on the local stang site. You may get lucky for someone wanting to AOD swap and just trade parts.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
I paid 900$ for my t5 from LKQ, as ir had like 60k miles. They are a reputable place like mps. I had it shipped from the states to their locations here. The tranny came with bell and harness and fork. I bought a flywheel for 100$ from summit, Clutch Kit from Summit $160 and clutch cable and pedals local for $150. I still have an after market steeda clutch quadrant, but my mechanic said stock ones work best. Not too sure on that. He installed it for $400 as he was experienced and its not too bad. Oh and also instead of buying a manual computer i bought a sct chip from AM and programmed it to turn off Auto Shifting. In the end it was well worth it. All parts brand new and reliable and puts a smile on my face every time i drive it.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
A friend of mine got a kit from MPS, put it in, and the tranny had a bad seal. Had to take it back out. But you take that chance of buying used on anything.

A kit is nice because you should have everything. If I was doing it I'd probably get everything separate just because some things I'd want a specific brand or type.

Don't forget to at least advertise yours before you remove it, may pay for your swap, or at least part of it.

Also, look on the local stang site. You may get lucky for someone wanting to AOD swap and just trade parts.

Yeah there's always a risk. But the good thing about having it out of the car is the ability to go through everything, but even then you can't check every little nook and cranny. I don't know much about manual transmissions, just a little from what I've learned on here lol. I will definitely list my aode for sale, should make a nice portion off it, only has 56k on it, add the ratchet shifter to the deal too. There's not really any local mustang sites by me, general NYC one yeah. I'll check it out. I passed on a full rebuilt T5 and everything needed except the pedals and shifter for 1k.. lol

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When I pieced together my T-45 I ended up spending a littler under $450.

I sold the 4R70W for $500 the week after and still have my B&M shifter. Take your chances & work your magic and you will come out on top.
Of course if you're buying a kit or looking to rebuild it, you probably won't manage to pull that off. Just some food for thought if you wanna save money.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
When I pieced together my T-45 I ended up spending a littler under $450.

I sold the 4R70W for $500 the week after and still have my B&M shifter. Take your chances & work your magic and you will come out on top.
Of course if you're buying a kit or looking to rebuild it, you probably won't manage to pull that off. Just some food for thought if you wanna save money.

Damn nice. That's even with the other stuff you bought to replace the old parts? I'll definitely keep it in mind, but hopefully I'll have some extra fluffy dough laying around so it won't hurt much.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
Damn. Where I live no one wants an aode lol. All Aod lovers. I was lucky to get 150$ for my aode. Guess 4R70W trannys are worth more.

lutter94

Reaction score
Just about have everything bought for the swap. Will make a post when I get everything. Hope to come in just under 2k. That's pieced out. A lot of new parts rather than take offs. The t5 isn't rebuilt and has about 100k. I'll drive it for that way for the time being.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
For the cost Your going to spend after parts and install bc I don't think your going to tackle it on your own right? Your going to have someone do it?

So 2g plus anywhere from say 300-600 for install. That's $2600 total

you could get springs/shocks/struts/vortech and have it tuned for that. Shoot you could probably even squeeze in a full brake upgrade also.

i would do that or buy a parts car and swap it all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online