t56 questions

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I took it out for a short 11 mile drive yesterday for maybe the 3rd time. I noticed the shifting became harder the further I went and had problems getting it into reverse last night that for the first time was not from me trying to put it in 6th. I put the oil in that came with it and I have not had any leaks so I am wondering what the problem could be?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I’m thinking he’s talking about adjustment also. Do you have any slack in the cable?
no I don't have any slack in the cable. After some thought it was a new cable that has been on for a few months now and I just have not been driving it, it probably just stretched a little and needs tightening. I have not been able to check it yet to confirm but that is the first thing I am going after.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Visually. Look where the clutch fork goes through the bell housing and make sure the beating isn’t touching the pressure plate

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
this being my first trans install I am new to the whole clutch adjustment. After tightening it up it is shifting better but I think it might need a little more as there is still some play in the pedal. How tight should I adjust it?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The play in the pedal is slack in the cable. There should always be a little slack. You can tighten more as long as you don’t take all the slack out of the pedal you’re ok

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If the t56 clutch fork is like t45, it can be moved out of position and still function. Double check that the fork is properly positioned. Also the t45 can be finicky with oil type. Not saying they both they same, but Ive found the low grade store brands cause hard shifts. The components dont slide well.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If the t56 clutch fork is like t45, it can be moved out of position and still function. Double check that the fork is properly positioned. Also the t45 can be finicky with oil type. Not saying they both they same, but Ive found the low grade store brands cause hard shifts. The components dont slide well.

Hope this helps
I am at the level of learning on trans/clutch that everything helps. Thanks

Notthenow

Reaction score
The throw out bearing for a T45 style cable is designed to be in contact with the clutch fingers with about 10lbs of pressure. Check out the MM guide to cable adjustment.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The throw out bearing for a T45 style cable is designed to be in contact with the clutch fingers with about 10lbs of pressure. Check out the MM guide to cable adjustment.
That has been up for debate for a long time. Plenty of people say to do that while others say not to. I have had the best results with leaving space between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Well ya gotta do what works. I have heard both as well and contact worked for me whereas no contact gave me the same issues as toccs.
I did think though, that the Mustang T56 was only available as a hydraulic clutch so am glad to hear that.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what to think about the hydraulic set ups as I read about people having issues with them. I thought I would go with this for now and see what happens.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Hydraulic is butter soft, but requires a good system to be able to bleed and flush the hydraulic fluid to keep it crisp. When you said you were having issues after driving a bit, assuming you had hydraulics, I thought it would be air in the lines. I have seen the same issue as you with my cable on my T45. I think the cable does initially stretch a bit. MM thinks the cheaper aftermarket cables do this more. I have an MM to put on mine once I get it assembled again and I will see. I also read a bunch on adjusting. Many say there should be a air gap, others disagree. I did read that the SN95 tob was designed to ride on the fingers with light pressure and mine certainly does shift better adjusted that way. It's easy to know, just add a little more tension and go for a ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online