Tach is tweaking out

Downshift

Reaction score
Ok my friends 95 GT has a tiny problem. His tach will work sometimes but most of the time it will just sit there dead. Im kinda stumped because it will work every once in a while. Im not sure how these damn things work on our cars so im looking for suggestions on where to start looking for a fix. Thanks guys.

TripleBlack

Reaction score
don't quote me on this but i think thst it id controled by a wire on the coil.....my coil was having problems and when it would stop working my tach would go dead but the engine was still turning....other people will probly correct me if i'm wrong

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
i've had the same problem. ours prolly differ though since i have a 98. right after i bought it the tach would go nutz and spin all the way around and get stuck down there. it was stuck down there for like two weeks cause i didnt know how easy it was to take the faceplate for the guages off. one day i was running it hard and i took it a little farther in first and it spun back around and i havent had a problem since. really wierd im interested to find out what the problem is.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I also had the problem with the tach being dead. When I'd floor it the tach would just fly up to like 5k and hang there, then when i let off it would swing down under the lil pin and get stuck. I took it out several times looking for a bad connection or something of that nature. After taking it out and reinstalling it about 4 times, before installing it the last time i pushed down on the gauges kinda hard to seat them a little more into the white plastic thing with all the metal connectors. It snapped in a touch more and i have not had a problem with the tach since. I cant believe mine was that easy to fix after dealing with it for over a year... hopefully it will be an easy fix for your friend, too.

DakotaKid95gt

Reaction score
check the wires coming from ur coil. i had problems after installing my autometer tach and the wire had just come loose.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Thanks guys Ill have to see what we can find out. Thanks for the tips. Ill let you all know what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online