Tach issues

CobraClone94

Reaction score
When i figure it out, You'll be the first to know.
So my car has done this since i've owned it. the tach works when i first cold start it, then drops and stays at 0 till it warms up, then it'll start working, there's a sound coming from behind it all the time as well... do these cars have a cable?. Wondering if i'll need a need cluster?. anyone have this issue?.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming you have a 94 from your name - it's all electronic. The tach in the instrument cluster receives it's signal from the ECU. Are you saying you hear a sound coming from behind the tach gauge in the instrument cluster? What kind of sound?

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Assuming you have a 94 from your name - it's all electronic. The tach in the instrument cluster receives it's signal from the ECU. Are you saying you hear a sound coming from behind the tach gauge in the instrument cluster? What kind of sound?

like a ticking it goes up in speed relative to the engine speed, it sounds like it's coming from behind the cluster. it's a bit harder to make out now with my new exhaust being a bit louder.

lutter94

Reaction score
I bought a cluster off ebay, its odo gear was broken, price was right, I needed the speedo motor that turns the needle. Mine got terrets and would do all kinds of crazy things. I'd send ya the motor for the tach for next to nothin, cover the shipping and a couple bucks. Can take some pics when I get home.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yah sounds the like the motor that moves the needle. Have the needles ever been pulled off your gauge?

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
I bought a cluster off ebay, its odo gear was broken, price was right, I needed the speedo motor that turns the needle. Mine got terrets and would do all kinds of crazy things. I'd send ya the motor for the tach for next to nothin, cover the shipping and a couple bucks. Can take some pics when I get home.

if i am gonna have to pull the cluster for something like that, i might as well upgrade to a cobra cluster.. thanks for the offer :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online