Tail light fail

Boattail

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this has been covered in one of the threads on the 68 pages in this section.

Have an 04 GT convertible and decided to replace the tail lights with led bulbs. Everything tested out fine after replacement so I buttoned everything up and shut the trunk. Now neither tail lights or signal works and it won't go into reverse. WTH? Appreciate any help you can offer. First I thought it might be the flasher relay, but not shifting into reverse stumps me.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
diode lights are polarized where the old halogens are not. That means that there is a + and - end on the lights but because they are retrofit into an older housing with no way to index them you can put them in one of two ways. Correct, or incorrect. So take them back out, pull the light out and flip it 180 degrees and then insert it again. now the reverse thing Idunno....

OP
OP
Boattail

Boattail

Reaction score
Thanks, ttocs, but they were all working fine until I shut the trunk but will have at it again. Could the relay be fried?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there isn't a single relay/flasher that controls all of those functions. If it isn't a blown fuse then maybe the connection on the back trunk wall is a little loose. Start simple and get on your back and pull/inspect all the fuses. I know it sounds like a pia but it honestly takes less time than going through the manual to try and find the one you hope is correct. Don't forget the fusebox under the hood as well those fuses feed power under the dash.

OP
OP
Boattail

Boattail

Reaction score
Thanks, ttocs. All fuses ok, brake lights don't work and won't shift out of park. Research leans toward brake pedal switch. Also found how to get it out of park to drive it. Will not have brake lights though. Will post results of brake pedal switch change. Weird that it malfunctioned after incandescent to led bulb change.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea its great when that stuff happens. The switch should be easy to test if you have a meter. There are two wires and one should be hot all the time and the other hot with the pedal down.

OP
OP
Boattail

Boattail

Reaction score
Update: Brake pedal switch was ok. Turned out to be the multifunction switch? Replaced that and put the incandescent bulbs back in. Everything functioning now. Got a flasher for led bulbs. Will do the change over at some point and will post the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online