---teach me about cams---

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I'm looking to be fairly knowledgable about the topic so I can make informed choices in the future. Any information is helpful so don't be shy.

• What do the lift, duration, etc. mean?
  • How are blower cams different than regular cams?
  • Whats a roller cam?
  • What does it mean to degree cams?
  • Why are E303 cams so popular but then get bashed by a lot of forums?
  • etc....

Thanks! O0

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
that last question is a good one......I have OFTEN wondered the same :dunno:

Rantheman

Reaction score
looks like droptop has you covered let me see if i can sum it up for you

valve lift is how much the lift that opens for instance .550 is a 1/2 in plus .050 duration is how long the valve srays open.
I can't explain blower cams at the moment.
A roller cam means the lobes are deisigned to use a lifter that has a roller tip for smother operation which mean more hp.
degreeing cams is to make sure that the cam is supposed to be where it is. if your cam has a centerline of 106 but it supposed to be at 109 then you are 3 degrees advance which on certain setups can cause problems. Now sometimes advance or retarding a cam can provide hp for you.
an E303 cam is for a 5.0 and that family of motors it a ford racing cam which i know matt has and from what i have heard is a great cam!

I hope this helps if not hopfully other people will fill you in~~

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
A very important part of choosing your cam is matching parts. Bigger is not always better. The best way to buy a cam is in a kit. Most kits come with cam, valve springs, valve keepers, and lifters.

The other thing that is very important is watching your RPM operating range. You need to match the cam and intake operating ranges to get peek performance from the engine.

You also need to make sure you don't have to much valve lift. The valves could hit your pistons upon initial start up. Breaking pistons and bending valves. That would lead to a very costly lesson.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online