Teal 94 GT Makeover

Discussion in 'Build Ups & Projects' started by blacksnake_98, Mar 16, 2015.

1. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

I recently picked up a Teal 94 GT a few months ago. Haven't had a mustang in a few years and found this one an hour away from me and after checking it out, decided to pick it up and bring it home. The car came with some decent engine/drivetrain such as Trick Flow heads, cam, upper/lower intake, roller rockers (Not sure if its the Street Heat or Track heat as I am not the one who built the motor), FRPP 30lb injectors with 255lph fuel pump & Pro-M MAF for 30lb injectors, Poweraid CAI, EGR/Smog Delete, MSD cap/rotor with Street Fire coil, King Cobra clutch with Steeda adjustable quadrant, Hurst STS, MAC shorty headers, catless x-pipe, & 4.10 gears. Has the New Edge interior with seats and center console and some black/chrome lip Bullitt style wheels (9" in front & 10.5 in rear). Could definitely tell the car needed a tune as it was running rich and had a hard time idling on cold startup. Overall, not a bad setup to start with and the car is pretty clean for the most part. I parked in the garage and left it sit for a few weeks until the snow started to clear then decided to bring it in, get it in the air, and check it over. Well, checking it over ended up being quite the "makeover" so I figured I'd post up a thread on what I've been doing and the progress made. Here is a picture of the car before I started on it.
    [​IMG][/URL][/img]

2. DavidBoren

DavidBoren Active Member

Sounds like a hell of a starting point. What are your plans for it?

3. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

After getting the car in the air, I decided to check the transmission fluid (Borg-Warner T5) since it sounded pretty noisy on the way home. Pulled the drain plug and only got a quart that drained out if that. After further inspection, noticed there was fluid leaking from the tailshaft. The seal looked pretty decent and supposedly the transmission had been rebuilt at one time so I did some research and learned there was a bushing in the tailshaft that could go bad as well. So I decided to just pull the transmission to get a better look at things. Transmission removal went smoothly (considering its a T5 and they weigh next to nothing plus had a friend helping). Upon more research on replacing the tail shaft bushing, I decided to just take it to a local shop to have it done since I know very little about transmissions. Got a new seal and bushing and dropped the transmission off to be checked out and repaired and have the driveshaft cleaned up. A week later got a call saying it was done and everything looked good :thumbsup:.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

Just going through the whole thing and replacing stuff as I go. Have a dyno appointment with LSXkilr in Kansas this weekend. Will continue to post my progress.

5. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

After the transmission fluid being low, decided to drop the rest of the fluids for my own security. Moved on to the rear end and drained it. It was full thankfully and all the gears looked good but needed the fluid change. Sealed the cover back up and put in some Royal Purple 75-90 & friction modifier. Good to go there.

6. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

The car road like an old hay wagon, so began inspecting the suspension. Had some knock-off yellow ebay lowering springs on it (later learned they didn't even make those springs for mustangs just hondas, BMWs, etc.), had Tokico Blue struts in the rear (that were blown), and stock front struts and stock rear upper/lower control arms. So after learning all this, figured I might as well replace the majority of the suspension while having it in the air. Ordered some Ford Racing B lowering springs, SVE rear control amrs, and Stagg shocks/struts. While removing the front suspenion, noticed the ball joints were completely shot, so began removing the control arms to press the old ones out and new ones in. Much easier to do it on a bench than still on the car or so I thought. Ended up having to cut one bolt off the driver side control arm since it was seized solid with rust in the bushing. Ended up being that way on the rear lower control arms as well. Eventually got everything removed and new parts on the rear for now.

Old suspension
    [​IMG]

New suspension
    [​IMG]

New ball joints
    [​IMG]

Rear suspension before and after
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. DavidBoren

DavidBoren Active Member

That new suspension is all shiny and matches, should be quite the improvement. Not that the paint matching has any relevance to performance. Anyways, pretty excited about the results of your dyno day, definitely keep us posted.

8. lutter94

lutter94 Well-Known Member

Lookin forward to seein progress on this :thumbsup:

9. lutter94

Found this using the google machine.

10. 98snakehorse

98snakehorse Well-Known Member

Dang, so that means the intake has to come off to check? lol

11. DavidBoren

DavidBoren Active Member

The street heat has a power band of idle-6000rpm, the track heat is 2500-7000rpm... unless you spend a significant amount of time above 6k, are you ever going to notice a difference?

12. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

Highly unlikely. Not that concerned about it. Car seems to run pretty strong already without any tune. Should be able to pull out some hidden power with a tune.

13. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

Here are some pictures of the car during construction
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

Front suspension torn out. Should be getting the new parts in tonight
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Hey I know hat shop! Its [MENTION=16230]98snakehorse[/MENTION] shop, I recognize my envy on the walls lol. Great job on the car by the way!

16. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

Car came with the stock throttle body. After someone putting that much money in the engine mods it has and leaving the stock throttle body is beyond me but after going over the rest of the car nothing is surprising me. So i decided to pick up a used Professional Products 75mm TB.
    [​IMG]

17. lutter94

This feels really familiar to me, lmao.

[​IMG]

18. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

You are right haha. He has been nice enough to let me store my car there and use his other bay to work on my car. Also has helped me out with it alot since he is doing many of the same things to his car. I lended him a hand installing his motor yesterday but we are just helping each other out when needed. Nice to work on similar cars side by side.

19. blacksnake_98

blacksnake_98 New Member

Removed my tailights last night as well. Found a good deal on some black 96-98 vertical taillights and a black S281 wing so they are in route here and will be installed when I receive them. Should boost the cars appearance a little.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. lutter94

[​IMG]