Teal sn95 Mustang GT build

wsickness

Reaction score
Hi... first time posting on a forum of any kind. I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right order for everyone who may see this thread to read with ease. So I recently acquired a sn95 GT with a few mods for and and a best friend to build up and finish to take to shows etc. I'll start with what I know is in the car and potentially post pictures later if people can identify things way better then I can lol. 302 bored 30 over, forged pistols, cobra intake upper and lower, 36lb injectors, comp xtreme cam "can provide model #". Ok now for the fun part.. The guy i bought it from was a stand up individual just so happen i think he piggybacked the tune on the car's original tune but let the battery die ? or so thats what he told me. so obviously she stalls every once in a while at a stop. Now I won't mention the shop I took it to in order to get a tune, but lets just say I was told she wasn't worthy of their name on it yet, and they pretty much sent me on my way. I called american muscle to figure out if a bama tune would work etc and they pointed me to VMP ? i think they are called and was told i needed the level 2 tune+ tuner, no biggie i figured it would be roughly that price and I'm ok with that if it actually fixes her stalling. Without a tune she's running lean and I don't drive long periods @ all due to temp readings. I've used a ob1 scanner to obtain the codes, and they are pointing towards things a tune should fix if i understand this correctly. I'm very new to working on my own car... but I'm not new to working on older cars.. haha pardon me if this was posted in the wrong section of the forum, but this is a build so to speak and I will continue here until she is completely done ground up lord willing lol :) Thanks in advance "Beast"

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome
You picked a very good place to get answers
Every one is pretty helpful
So pick some brains , these guys have a lot information to help you , or maybe you might even have good info
It's all about cars nuts and bolts

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome. First things first. Have you pulled the passenger kick panel and verified there is a chip?? If not then you need to start there. Ecm is in that kick panel and you will want to verify that there is a chip plugged in and you’ll wanna pull it and make sure all the terminals are properly cleaned so that it’s communicating as it should. Take pics of the chip and post them so we can figure out what chip it is.

That’s the best place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Thanks so much, I'll get those pictures uploaded today for sure I hope it has a chip... Lol

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Well I was told if a person loaded a tune "on the fly' that it's possible to lose?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and if you or someone else can explain what "on the fly" means to me then maybe I will believe it but making a tuning system that resets when the battery looses power would be the stupidest tuning system ever made.

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Yeah it's just what I've been told. Evidently it's wrong, I'm new to this whole tuning and computer related things.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
Your looking for a slot on the side. That’s where you’ll see if a chip is installed. If it still has the plastic cover then there’s probably never been a chip installed which means no tune

So should I completely disconnect this EEC ? Would the chip be installed toward the firewall side or side panel of the car ? Sorry just don't know where exactly to look lol

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So should I completely disconnect this EEC ? Would the chip be installed toward the firewall side or side panel of the car ? Sorry just don't know where exactly to look lol

I can’t remember which side it’s on to be honest. If my car was at my house I could tell you but I’m not sure when I’ll be back out to where it’s at.

Go ahead and disconnect it. It’s not gonna hurt anything. There is a plastic cover on one side and it’s removed when you add a chip. You can open the cover to the ecm and you’ll see the connection pins where a chip should slide on. I’m betting there’s no chip

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The chip is on one of the ends and yea I can't remember if its harness side or the bottom I thought. I am not sure what disconnecting it will do to help the situation short of taking it out completely to inspect the chip. I wouldn't doubt that he has the 36 lb injectors working off the stock tune made for 19 lb. Realistically you probably need to start looking into local dynos as well as trying to sort out what cam is in it to help in tuning.

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
I can’t remember which side it’s on to be honest. If my car was at my house I could tell you but I’m not sure when I’ll be back out to where it’s at.

Go ahead and disconnect it. It’s not gonna hurt anything. There is a plastic cover on one side and it’s removed when you add a chip. You can open the cover to the ecm and you’ll see the connection pins where a chip should slide on. I’m betting there’s no chip

Better picture ?
823ddf50e861da205cb35e90d485c0e6.jpg

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
And as stated in the beginning bro the reason I'm here is the very well known dyno shop I went to didn't seem to want thier name on the car so to speak due to the overheating says it's not dyno ready. The cam that's installed is a comp xtreme fw-xe270hr-12
e7ae27c58529206b71c6c29f9d6420a2.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The last thing you want to do is pay for time on the dyno and then use it diagnosing other problems. If your running 36 lb injectors you better hope you have a chip/tune in it but I question whey they are so big anyway?

OP
OP
wsickness

wsickness

Reaction score
It's what I bought off the fella. I assume it was because of the forged pistons and 30 bore ? I haven't taken the injectors out myself and verified they are 36. Has aftermarket lifters and springs.

BigBore96

Reaction score
The chip should be on the end opposite of the harness if there is one. Roughly like a 2 inch by .5in slot.

The only chip I know of that risks losing the tune is the one from moates (has it's own watch style battery) as it's designed to tune with om the fly and then flash a seperate chip but many people leave that one installed and dont use another chip for long term.

Regarding the injectors snap a picture if them. Can generally tell depending on brand just by a quick visual

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online