Tell me about my supercharger...

Mack

Reaction score
So guys... This year I'm owning my Mustang 4 years but I'm ashamed to admit there's a lot about it I don't know. This year I've decided to learn more about car tech in general and my Mustang in particular.

My 98 BAB was fitted with a supercharger by the previous owner in Maryland, who was also a member here. I didn't buy it because of the supercharger, but I figured it was rather neat.

In the ad it said:
The supercharger is even more rare than the paint. It is a Ford SVO Production Eaton M-112, the same as the one on the 2003 and up Cobra's, but this one is designed upside-down as shown in the pictures for the SN95 4.6's.

I've searched on the internet, but can't find much information about the Eaton M-112. When was it built? Was it specifically for the 4.6L SN95s? Is it really that special?

So, my question to you: WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT MY SUPERCHARGER?

Here's a pic (yes, I know where to find the supercharger):
252030_158269177571667_6047502_n.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well its not a m112. It may be an Eaton and the internals may be designed similar to an "upside down m112", but it would be much different than an m112 and I would think it would be named differently.

I've seen these before and the name is on the tip of my tongue. If I remember the name or come across the thread I'll send you it. They're an interesting design.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay I found some info too.
They go by a ton of names!
Svo and roush and ffrp and here is where the confusing is. They're not an Eaton m112 like the cobras but they're a Magnuson 112!
Ford was disappointed with the performance and came out with their own 112 for the cobras resulting in the Eaton m112.

They have more in common with the m90s than the m112 Eaton. Its basically a m90 with 112 displacement.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/help-w-supercharger-ford-svt.816979/

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=14887]LilRoush[/MENTION] has one on his 98 I believe.

I'm sure he'll chip in with some info.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Very interesting OP and I have a raging jealousy for your car. I miss my BAB 98. That said, is there any performance numbers on your car? Track? Dyno?

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Ford was disappointed with the performance

Mmm... Sounds promising...

I've read the articles and they have a ton of information. It sounds like it's certainly not the best supercharger, but good for a fun Mustang to drive.

I'll look into getting a good tune, I think that will improve the performance masively. Will be hard to find though, in my country. I will be needing your help :D

fiveohwblow: I don't have any of that. Racing for hobby does almost not exist here. Tuning cars in a garage is rare. So it's hard to find a dyno, and in on of the most densely populated countries in the world you do not have room for a race track or drag strip. It's a very different car culture than in the US.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It has some design flaws yes, but its definitely an upgrade! If you play will pulleys and cooling you can milk a lot out of it.

Also people are comparing it to the Eaton m112 which was to improve on that supercharger. So of course the Eaton m112 is going to look much better and make that blower look lesser.

I think its a cool design and gives the car a "sleeper" look, takes a minute to find it :p

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, the eaton blowers are "off the shelf" units that eaton modifies to me their customers' needs.

The numbers designate the size of the blower. The m112 is larger than the m90, for example.

That being said, that very well could be a m112 blower (I'm not sure, personally) that Ford ordered to match that need... just because it doesn't look like the terminator blower doesn't mean it's not an m112.

Other cars using eaton blowers include the tbirds, cobra mustang, gse buick, grand prix pontiac. All, as far as I know, are m90s or m112s, just in different casings.

Your blower has two problems. First its a top mount, adding heat to the charge. The second is that its not intercooled to cool that air.

:)

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Mmm... Sounds promising...

I've read the articles and they have a ton of information. It sounds like it's certainly not the best supercharger, but good for a fun Mustang to drive.

I'll look into getting a good tune, I think that will improve the performance masively. Will be hard to find though, in my country. I will be needing your help :D

fiveohwblow: I don't have any of that. Racing for hobby does almost not exist here. Tuning cars in a garage is rare. So it's hard to find a dyno, and in on of the most densely populated countries in the world you do not have room for a race track or drag strip. It's a very different car culture than in the US.
Yeah I work for a Dutch based company based in The Hague so I am very familiar with the difference. I currently work side by side with 4 dutch folk and people from about 8 countries. Was just curious if you had taken the time to drive anywhere like Austria or Germany with it to get it on a track or Dyno'ed. Maybe some day right?

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Was just curious if you had taken the time to drive anywhere like Austria or Germany with it to get it on a track or Dyno'ed. Maybe some day right?

To be honest I'm more interested in driving it for fun than in getting more power. But indeed maybe the opportunity arrises. But I need it tuned first.

What company do you work for?

dutch

Reaction score
So, the eaton blowers are "off the shelf" units that eaton modifies to me their customers' needs.

The numbers designate the size of the blower. The m112 is larger than the m90, for example.

That being said, that very well could be a m112 blower (I'm not sure, personally) that Ford ordered to match that need... just because it doesn't look like the terminator blower doesn't mean it's not an m112.

Other cars using eaton blowers include the tbirds, cobra mustang, gse buick, grand prix pontiac. All, as far as I know, are m90s or m112s, just in different casings.

Your blower has two problems. First its a top mount, adding heat to the charge. The second is that its not intercooled to cool that air.

Listen to this man ;)

Eaton is the big man behind many many blowers, and uses off the shelf designs with different displacements. Not only Ford, but also Jaguar (XKR - S-type R M122) and Mercedes use Eatons in different forms.

What the FRPP/Roush/SVO unit really is, I don't know. I always thought it was a M90, maybe magnuson enlarged the displacement while adapting it for use on the 4.6, who knows. But imo it's still an Eaton by default.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
I learned Magnuson is Eaton's prime distributor in the US. They sell products under their own name.

It looks like Eaton, with Ford being disappointed, didn't want to sell it as Eaton, Magnuson saw an opportunity and sold them under their own name.

So it seems it's developed by Eaton, sold by Magnuson.

Eitherway, thinking about removing my "Eaton inside" sticker ;)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
take pride in your blower. It's a hard to find unit and a piece of mustang history, regardless of whether or not its a "perfect" design.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Mack I think it's time to come back to the states brotha! Racing for hobby and tuning is what this country does best! Disregard every other bad thing going on here lol.... But no that is a very very rare blower and truly is unique and special. Definitely enjoy it man

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Hahaha!

I'm definetely going to enjoy that blower. It never crossed my mind to take it out or replace it. I think Dutch's Cobra and my car are the only supercharged SN's in the country.

I would love to return to the States - exactly one year ago I was walking around in NYC. But we're planning on buying a house (with a double garage - which is almost non-existant in this country) so we are cutting back on the fun trips. But for sure I will fly accross the ocean in the future :D

Thanks everybody for the information! I learned a lot!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online