Tell me about the Navigator 4v's

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
The last time we went to our local U-pull-it, there was a wrecked Navigator with a complete 32 valve 5.4 with I think 14xxxx on it. The owners said they would sell the motor for something like $230, pretty sure that's not including the harness or computer or anything else. If they still have it the next time we go down there, either me or my friend have decided we are coming home with it...if I get it it will be going into my old F-150, he is looking at putting it into a fox. However neither of us know much about the 4 valve motors. Is that a decent price on that engine? Anything to look out for on them? What are some good upgrades such as heads and cams and intake? I've seen some carb'd mod motor setups that looked pretty awesome even though I'm sure they are pretty expensive to build, but it would be sweeeet to see one in an older F-150 in my opinion.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Killer price! Performance Intake availability is the biggest hurdle. Their are none produced today unless you can source an old 4v sulivan 5.4l intake, youre good to go. Plan on shelling out $700 for it though.

If you install into the old F150, you could get away with the stock intake. The stock intake is 2 sections, an upper and a lower together its about a 2foot tall intake. Alot have took the lower and made a box for the top. This works out great but hinders top performance...big deal, right?

The only performance uppgrades really needed is aftermarket pistons. The stock pistons sit dwell .100" down the hole at TDC, killing any squish. A $800 set of pistons correct that. Also the rods are junk for any rpm or horspower.

Sourcing stock 98 cobra intake cams are the cheapest cam upgrade. Normally going for about $200. $1600 for new aftermarket...

Most squeeze out 450rwhp easily

Magic

Reaction score
If you stay EFI, You can use a Coyote 5.0L intake on the 5.4 DOHC with some adapter plates (MMR and someone else sell them).

Or you can source an Australian BOSS 260/290 intake.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks a ton [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] great info! Are the heads on them decent or are there any more desirable heads from other motors?

One of us is definitely gonna pick it up if it's still there, which I really hope it is! At that good of a price we figured if neither of us decided to do anything with it the least we could do is sell it off somewhere else and make out money back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online