Tell me if this makes sense ...

RichV

Reaction score
Monday night I got my RockAuto stuff for the 05 so I did some work. Changed plugs, all new HT1 Autolites, and put a factory intake/airbox back on from a K&N FIPK. Also a set of low mile OEM COPs I got off craigslist.

So anyways, aside from the mis at high RPM, the clutch would chatter once in a while, and under WOT it was difficult to find the next gear. Figured a replacement clutch of unknown quality was the chatter and the stock shifter accounts for the sloppy gear changes.

Did the plugs, BTW guys/gals use anti-seize on aluminum anything, the old plugs coming out sounded like a haunted house door opening. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up hoping to not kill threads. As suspected the old plug gaps have worn to double the new HT1s. Switched them out, removed the FIPK to sell on ebay, installed the COPs with some dielectric grease.

Drove the car all day yesterday, smooth as silk at any RPM. WOT had no mis, power increased a little, MPG calculator rising. Now the weird part, no more clutch chatter and shifting under load has improved 100%. Much easier shifting.

Although glad of the results, not sure how it makes sense. Maybe the 05 is thanking me for the plugs. :rolleyes:

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal to me!

How sure are you that it was the clutch chattering? Not doubting you, but that's odd lol.:huh:

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
mJFIRxD.gif

lol it would be interesting to know what was causing that.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Definitely weird. I'm no stranger to driving various stick shift cars and trucks. The chatter of grab/no grab I'm not a stranger to. I wonder if possibly misfiring at low rpm worsened the chatter and made it more noticeable. But it seems too smooth now, drives like a new car.

Rallim

Reaction score
Vibrations of the misfire through the engine being felt through the clutch i'd imagine. Not running smooth, no smooth engagement maybe

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Ya, I drove it all day today. Like budddaa. :)

Got some Valvoline Synthetic 5-20 and a K&N oil filter, gonna change this weekend for next weekend's NASA race.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online