Tell me what i need

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Tell me what i need to swap a midpipe. I mean everything down to tools.

I need everything!

Tools, and jack stands and jacks.
What size sockets. Any special tools? How do you remove the screw in type sensors (i mean what tool unscrews them)

Muffler shops will not install this pipe plus i need to swap it in like 6-7 months for emission so i gotta learn how to do it myself.

thanks

edit: How many jacks would i need to get the car up like this(duh, 4 jack stands):
2gxfnee.jpg
, but what steps do i use to get it up like that. I seen my buddy do it, but he has these big huge floor jacks that he uses to jack the car up from behind from the gear box thing. Than we slaps acouple jack stands under. So im guessing:

My Thoughts: Start jacking from the back than set both stands equal than drop the car slowly down on the stands. Now the hell do you get to the front of the car?? He put my car on rhino ramps when he did my midpipe which i dont have.

Heres my thoughts with the rhino ramp system:

1 Drive front of car up on rhino ramps.

2 Set brakes than get out of car

3. Put bricks behind the wheels on the ramp and most importantly a brick behind the back wheel.

4. Jack up the back of the car than add jack stands.

5. For security add two jack stands to the front portion of the car.

Is this correct????

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
you can never be to safe man... so thats a good thing that your wanting to do it right..

when we jack my car up..

1. we drive it up onto the ramps (if the car is going to be up for awhile)..
2. E-brake it.
3. jack the rearend up (my car is dropped two inches) so i have to use a mini little jack to jack up the rear, then while its in the air, use a big jack to go higher..
4. put two jackstands under the axles
5. if the car is not high enough, i jack the front up, and put two jacks under it. i also leave the ramps under the wheels just in case it falls off the jacks.

hope that helps you.

oh and btw, it is always a good idea to spend the cash for a good set of jackstands. don't just find the best deal possible. me and my dad use 6ton jack stands for my car. they are craftsman so its good quality. don't buy bad quality stuff just for the price.. we are about to buy some 12 ton jack stands just because they are taller at the lower settings.. because the 6 tons that we have are usually up almost the whole way..

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice buddy. I dont want to do the install myself, but after spending $170 for a prochamber its going on and thats final. The only problem is the tools+ jacks i need. That right there is going to cost a paycheck or two. I found a picture of the tools i need and lets just say i only have the WD40 :eek:utofcloset:
4t25nk

and heres the instructions:

Do you know how to loosen 8 bolts? If so, you can do this install in less than 2 hours. My first time took me about an hour and half. BE SURE YOU HAVE A SWIVEL AND A 12" EXTENSION AND SOME PB BLASTER OR LIQUID WRENCH.

Prep parts:
-Get a 12" extension (put 2 together if you have to) ($5)
-a ratchet (unless you have an impact wrench) ($3-$20)
-a swivel ($5-$200)
-a 15mm deepwell socket (<$1)
-PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench (?)
-2 jack stands ($20-$100)
-a passenger side manifold gasket (get from your local Ford parts dealer) (~$10)
-a jack ($20-$200)
-2 ramps ($20-$70). Oh, you might want a flashlight ($0-$200) too to make those manifold bolts easier to see.

Total Parts Cost: $84-$806 (unless you already have some of the parts, which you probably do)

1) Let the car cool down for at least 1 hour (I know some guys on here that have permanent scars from exhaust burns...trust me, let it cool)
2) Since it is a rear wheel drive car (back wheels locked by first gear), back the car onto some stands. Now jack up the front end and place jack stands on the axels.
3) Go change into some old nasty clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.
4) Spray some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and let sit for about 20 minutes. WARNING: THIS STUFF DOES DRIP AND SPLATTER AND WILL STAIN YOUR CLOTHES!
5) Unbolt the 4 bolts where the mid-pipe and cat-back join (if you have an impact wrench this should take LITERALLY less than a minute).
6) Using the extension, unbolt the 2 driver-side bolts where the manifold meets the mid-pipe.
7) Using the extension, unbolt the furthest out bolt on the passenger side (where the manifold meets the mid-pipe).
8) Using the swivel and the extension, unbolt the inner-most bolt on the passenger side (again, where the manifold meets the mid-pipe).
9) Carefully disconnect all of the o2 sensors and drop the mid-pipe.
10) Unscrew the o2 sensors and screw them into the new mid-pipe.
11) Place the new manifold gasket in (on the passenger side) and bolt up the manifold side of the mid-pipe first, in the same order you took them off (driver-side, outter-most passenger, inner-most passgener). IMPORTANT: LEAVE THESE BOLTS A LITTLE LOOSE FOR SLACK!
12) Bolt up the mid-pipe to the catback and tighten thoroughly.
13) Tighten manifold-mid-pipe bolts.
14) Connect the o2 sensors; if they don't reach, buy an extender from your local automotive store.
15) IMPORTANT: CLEAR ALL TOOLS FROM THE AREA UNDERNEATH THE CAR!
16) Jack the car back up off of the jack stands and lower the car.
17) Drive the car off of the ramps and voila! You're done!

Note: if you have an impact wrench it will cut the install in half...those things work wonders!

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Damn walmart is expensive with there stuff and i thought rhino ramps was like $18 dollars there. Seems like its $35.00 around here for the set b/c i checked both walmart and autozone :/ This is going to be a expensive lol :(

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
ramps arent a necessity. first i drive the front of my car on to two blocks of wood to raise the front just high enough to get the jack under. then jack the front up and throw a pair of stands under it. then just jack the back and throw another set of stands under it. id save the money on the ramps and get some sockets or some wrenches.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
yeah screw stands unless you already have them get a jack and jack stands (4) so you can leave the rear axel up on two and be able to move your jack around to the front

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
tRaV_19 said:
yeah screw stands unless you already have them get a jack and jack stands (4) so you can leave the rear axel up on two and be able to move your jack around to the front
Correct if im wrong. My buddy used one of those low profile jacks on my car.

His looks like this(way longer and bigger than mine):
floor%20jack%20525.JPG

my jack looks like this:
floorjack.jpg

Is my jack the right job for this? Its alot smaller than his so i was thinking i would need a new low profile jack. Anyways i can get some 3 ton jack stands from the store today. Than ill need the tools. Im going to check with my bud to see if he has anything so i dont have to buy it all tonight.

and heres my car when he was putting on the middy.
pic0405063jpg-7.jpg

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
your jack will suffice so there is no need to get a different one. as long as its atleast a 2 ton jack its perfect. and being low profile, you prolly wont have to drive up on blocks.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
just took alook under the car. It looks pretty easy. The bolt and nuts are still silver since they are pretty new, but i sprayed them anyway. Should be easy to get off and back on. I tried my jack and it doesnt lift shit at all from the pumkin lol. Guess ill need the ramps than ill have to jack up the sides and add some stands.

What size swivel do i need? 15mm??

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
Twista said:
just took alook under the car. It looks pretty easy. The bolt and nuts are still silver since they are pretty new, but i sprayed them anyway. Should be easy to get off and back on. I tried my jack and it doesnt lift shit at all from the pumkin lol. Guess ill need the ramps than ill have to jack up the sides and add some stands.

not quite sure what you said there but im guessing your jack wont fit under your rear end. if not then you must have a crazy drop. if you have blocks or wood or anything hard laying around you can drive up on that just so you can get your jack under it.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
oh now i understand i think i read it wrong the first time. what is that jack rated at? use sure you got the valve on the jack tight?

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
Twista said:

not quite sure what you said there but im guessing your jack wont fit under your rear end. if not then you must have a crazy drop. if you have blocks or wood or anything hard laying around you can drive up on that just so you can get your jack under it.

i mean i put under the rear, but the jack runs of air when i try to jack the car up.
Do you know what size swivel i need? Is it a 15mm swivel?

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
is the valve screwed in tight?

Yep its tight. It works good when jacking from the sides though. So im thinking of backing up the car up on ramps, than jacking from the sides and adding jack stands to eliminate me having to jack it from the back.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
thats weird...jacking up under the pig is usually the easiest part

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
spent $70 @ walmart with rhino ramps and stands and googles and tools

spent 24 @ pep boys for tools.

im going to let it cool than im going to tackle this beeyotach :noes: :google2: :pimp:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
dude, you really are a super noob... :hammer:

good luck with everything, you should go to sears and invest in some bolt-outs...you never know when you need them and they are always good to have around.

plus with an older car, bolts can be a biatch. O0

94Vert

Reaction score
man my stock pipe was a beeeeeeooootch to get off, the bolts to the headers were frickn glued on. i even had an elec. impact gun. it was the worst thing i've done so far.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
FUCK man. I got the car up around now and everything is cooled off. I drove onto the ramps than i used the jack on the pumpkin and pumped it up. I than lowered the car onto the jack stands than locked the jack in place. Than i break out my 15mm DEEp socket only to find out the bolts MAC sent with there hpipe are not 15mm. The 15mm fits on some, but than it doesnt fit on all. DAMN IT!! and yes im a super noob with cars. I didn't grow up around cars at all so its all new to me. My buddy did all my exhaust installs and i watched, but its still different. So, basically its my 1st car and that happens to be a mustang :noes: but im really a computer geek and know them inside and out. When it comes to cars its confusing :drunk:

also, how the hell do i get the sensor (o2 sensors)things that screwed in by the headers????
Does anyone know what size the nuts are that mac sends with the hpipes???

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Its 18mm.... lol thats some big nuts compared to the 15mm in the guides. Time to go fuck with it now. Also brought another extension so now i have 20 inches of thrusting man power to the nuts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online