Temp gauge gets hot when A/C is on for a while

Ballistic

Reaction score
Its done this ever sense i have owned the car when its hot outside and i turn on the A/C my temp gauge gets pretty high

Heres a pic from today, put about 12 miles on it today in about an hour just doing a few errands
xs4ndg1.png

I think i have read before the stock temp gauge is shit but couldn't remember??

Anyway is this normal? If not whats can i do to help it not get so hot?

EDIT: Radiator is full and looks pretty clean

joser714

Reaction score
That happened to me last year. I had to change all the coolant and clean the radiator/reservoir tank. I haven't had the car over heat since. Also my friend has a 96 GT and his gauge says he's running fine but an aftermarket gauge says he's running hot so I do also believe the SN gauges suck

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the stock gauges are really not that accurate. Mine did that so I put in an aftermarket gauge and found it was still running perfectly normal.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
That happened to me last year. I had to change all the coolant and clean the radiator/reservoir tank. I haven't had the car over heat since. Also my friend has a 96 GT and his gauge says he's running fine but an aftermarket gauge says he's running hot so I do also believe the SN gauges suck

My grandpa bought it new back in 97 i should ask him the last time he did anything like that, a cleaning may be good for it..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its worth checking just because even if it is overheating that might be all the gauge shows. I was having issues on the dyno years ago in phoenix and that was about all my temp gauge showed but his stuff said the computer was pulling timing out to try and cool it.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome to my life. No-one can figure out my problem and its been years i had this issue! I replaced all the stuff most people will suggest but still it gets hot on very hot days. The only thing i havent changed is the condenser up front which is beat up! This sunday im installing a mark vii fan on the mustang which will hopefully cool it down big time when its 100 degrees outside with the A/c On.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Welcome to my life. No-one can figure out my problem and its been years i had this issue! I replaced all the stuff most people will suggest but still it gets hot on very hot days. The only thing i havent changed is the condenser up front which is beat up! This sunday im installing a mark vii fan on the mustang which will hopefully cool it down big time when its 100 degrees outside with the A/c On.

How did that mark vii fan work out for you?

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
How did that mark vii fan work out for you?

My clutch went out on the way home from the mark install, but the car overheated on the way limping it home after installing it with no a/c on . So i ripped it out and i have no idea if it'll work or not in hot weather if installed correctly. Sucks. But it wouldve been a band-aid to a bigger problem. Its doing this for a reason.

How does your a/c condenser look?

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
My clutch went out on the way home from the mark install, but the car overheated on the way limping it home after installing it with no a/c on . So i ripped it out and i have no idea if it'll work or not in hot weather if installed correctly. Sucks. But it wouldve been a band-aid to a bigger problem. Its doing this for a reason.

How does your a/c condenser look?

Sorry for the super late reply lol, just got time to check it out and it looks fine, Was working at a ford dealership the other week and worked in a free oil change into my payment and i know a few service techs there so while they are doing that was gonna ask them about it and ill see what they think/say..

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
The thumb nail for this thread showed your fuel gauge only hahaha seeing the title and the fuel gauge made me Lol.... stupid mobile viewing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online