Temp gauge reading high.

samsonhusky

Reaction score
I have a 96 gt 2v. My fan isn’t kicking on until the L in normal. I just did a complete pi engine swap before the swap it was already going up to the A before it kicked on.

I have a laser thermostat that I’ve gotten the temps off the upper radiator hose near temp stat housing at 193 when fan kicks on. And temp of temp housing it’s self at about 200. Not sure how accurate the laser thermostats are though.

has anyone used the laser thermostat on their car if so where is the right place to use it and what should it read to be safe when fan kicks on.

if it’s in the gauge it’s self I may just get a mechanical gauge to put in car. Any suggestion on what I need to look at to why the fan is kicking on late would be much appreciate it thanks.

OP
OP
samsonhusky

samsonhusky

Reaction score
I would back probe the ect to see what temp the ecu is seeing or use a scanner if you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may just pick up a scanner if I can read the temp haven’t messed around with one before but looks like I need to invest in one.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I highly recommend buying an elm327 dongle and using Forscan lite. You can do a lot with them and the dongle is pretty cheap.

OP
OP
samsonhusky

samsonhusky

Reaction score
Got the scanner and it’s saying the fan is kicking in at 207 and runs until it gets to about 198. Should that be about right for it to come on. The gauge is on the L on normal when it kicks on at 207 and goes back to the A when it kicks off.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Sounds about right to me if not a little low. Is your car tuned?

OP
OP
samsonhusky

samsonhusky

Reaction score
Haven’t gotten it tuned yet plan to at some point. Probably doing 4.10 gears next then tune. Thanks for the feed back

Pallgor

Reaction score
I’m going through the same thing recently. I was thinking about changing the thermostat to a 180. Everything is in order as fan working and no fluid loss.