Termi swap into a 94-98 mustang

JoshHooten

Reaction score
So i have been kicking around the thought of doing a termi swap, those who have done it..or even seen it done.
what all was involved, cost, headaches etc...was it even worth it? any input would be awesome..
The other thing i have been thinking is just going with a boss302 block and a kenne bell supercharger for the 302... anyone have any experience with them? all info is much appreciated.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I know a guy who swapped an 03/04 cobra motor in his 98. Said it was pretty straight forward, no issues.

twovalveterror

Reaction score
there is one or two guys on here with the 5.0 kennebell.

I think one of them is called kennebellcobra. or maybe it's onyxcobra. whatever, they'll show up.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
There is a guy that documented every little thing over on corral. He did the full 03/04 Cobra swap in his 95 Cobra.

OP
OP
JoshHooten

JoshHooten

Reaction score
There is a guy that documented every little thing over on corral. He did the full 03/04 Cobra swap in his 95 Cobra.
if you happen to stumble across it, id love to see it..ill look for it.

Sinned83

Reaction score
What about mustangchris? I don't know the year of his car tho

410sn95

Reaction score
So i have been kicking around the thought of doing a termi swap, those who have done it..or even seen it done.
what all was involved, cost, headaches etc...was it even worth it? any input would be awesome..
The other thing i have been thinking is just going with a boss302 block and a kenne bell supercharger for the 302... anyone have any experience with them? all info is much appreciated.

Worked on and driven both

I guess the question is why the Boss 302 block with a KB vs. 03-04 swap?

03-04 Cobra motor is nothing like a 302 with a KB, not even in the same ballpark...

OP
OP
JoshHooten

JoshHooten

Reaction score
Worked on and driven both

I guess the question is why the Boss 302 block with a KB vs. 03-04 swap?

03-04 Cobra motor is nothing like a 302 with a KB, not even in the same ballpark...

well i want a roots style supercharger, and kenne bell is the only one i can find for the 302..and of course the cobra motor is what it is.
id love to go with the cobra motor. im just not sure all the pain and effort are worth the swap.

410sn95

Reaction score
well i want a roots style supercharger, and kenne bell is the only one i can find for the 302..and of course the cobra motor is what it is.
id love to go with the cobra motor. im just not sure all the pain and effort are worth the swap.

Remember the KB is not a roots style, its a Lysholm twin screw... I understand what your getting at. I am just splitting hairs there.

I am assuming you want to make more than 500whp because of your choice of a dart block with a KB. If this is the case... The Cobra motor will be less pain and effort in the long run, even with the swap. Just my opinion.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, i'd suggest picking a power level and building to it. Your attention to detail is strong enough that you'll succeed at whichever you choose....

The temrinator swap is not as straight forward as all would think. Is it straight forward? yes. Brain-dead? no.

The computer system is an upgraded unit, so you'll have to choose to either drop in the engine and allow the tuner to program your OEM computer to make the 4v to run stoich. OR swap the computer, too.

I went with the computer route.

You need:
(front to rear)
heat exchanger
radiator
radiator fan
head light harness
engine compartment harness
engine harness
dash harness
body harness
air conditioning system
gauge cluster
steering column
keys
air-bags
air-bag trigger box
PATS
GEM
door harnesses
supercharger coolant tank
radiator hose system/thermostat
headers
hood
clutch

THEN, if you're going from 5.0 pushrod to the 4v:
k member (???)
motor mounts (???)
transmission/bell housing
transmission mount
brake booster (valve covers wont clear the larger booster from 94/95)

my car was 100% stripped at one point. had to drop the brake booster to get the engine to center in the bay... and that was 4.6 to 4.6... a 5.0 to 4.6 will be just as bad.

THEN (yea, there's more)
if you dont have the donor car you need to expect to fabricate every bracket ever made... for the computers, fuse boxes, radiator, etc. etc. etc.

THHEEEEN (YEAAA MORE)
If you want more than 390 HP:

Blower port: $500.00
Headers: $500.00
Intake: $100.00
oil pan
exhaust
fuel system (450+ HP = return style) = $1,200.00
pulleys: $300.00
belts: $100.00

then there's fluids... i have $500.00 in fluids alone:
FoMoCo coolant in radiator AND s/c system.
s/c oil
7 qts of full syntheic
FoMoCo brake fluid
transmission fluid

then there's the "might as well" stuff:
idler pulley bearings
rear diffy fluid
brake pads
gauges
welding axle tubes
ceramic coated headers
heat-extraction coating on radiators

THEN theres emissions if you need it.
canister is located in REAR instead of in fender...

I suggest buying the totalled cobra and swapping as you build. OR buying a terminator entirely. OR doing something else. lol.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Those are some wise words from someone who has swapped their car...I love your car and Im sure you do too but in all it'd end up being easier and probably just as inexpensive to just buy a cobra.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Those are some wise words from someone who has swapped their car...I love your car and Im sure you do too but in all it'd end up being easier and probably just as inexpensive to just buy a cobra.

I 100% agree.

I could have bought the donor car for $9,000.00 i got my engine from. I wish i would have. Would have been an easier and cleaner swap.

BUT. i didnt have 9k. I had 6k. lol. so i got the engine and computer systems (and wiring systems) and rented a truck to pick it up...

Terminators were running in mid-17s at that time. I'm at about that level of $$ right now in my swap (except i dont have IRS, proper emissions, T56.)

TanTop94

Reaction score
I 100% agree.

I could have bought the donor car for $9,000.00 i got my engine from. I wish i would have. Would have been an easier and cleaner swap.

BUT. i didnt have 9k. I had 6k. lol. so i got the engine and computer systems (and wiring systems) and rented a truck to pick it up...

Terminators were running in mid-17s at that time. I'm at about that level of $$ right now in my swap (except i dont have IRS, proper emissions, T56.)

Exactly lol, I mean I love swapped cars but they are "swapped" it takes a lot of time and work and in the end youre just putting a mustang motor in a mustang. If you want to boost it thats fine, itd end up being cheaper and easier. But thats just .02.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online