Terminator or Coyote? *Poll Added*

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
As one of the very few coyote owners on the forum, and someone who evaluated the same thing you're considering now...

Coyote. All the way.

Terminators are 1979 Fairmonts with a 4v blower motor that makes less power than the Coyote does naturally aspirated. Plus, the 2011+ cars are WAAAAAY nicer cars than anything fox-based. Period. Full stop.

Paul.

Firefighter181

Reaction score
I'm laughing at my self as I got half way through this thread before I realized you guys were talking about the car and not just a motor swap........duh. That being said I would lean toward a Coyote car. Solid axle, mighty fine looking car, and can be had for a good price. If it were strictly from the collector standpoint, Terminator.

Though, Coyote in my 94 please, keep my collector plates, fast, still cheap insurance, and reliable in stock form. But that is for a different discussion thread :D.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
^I really wish you had a taller tire in the rear, but not my car nor money ha.

Well I hope a motor that is years newer and has more cubic inches is more powerful NA than a 4.6 from 2003; naturally. I love the new coyotes they are awesome cars for the price but the Terminator is just beyond sexy. And from what I've seen, they make the same hp on the dyno stock.

Carnage281

Reaction score
Terminator, no comparison. I love termis too much not to choose it over the 5.0. Terminators are what got me into mustangs.

ElKabong197

Reaction score
Drive both, then pick. A intake/xpipe/tune coyote is not THAT far off of a pullied cobra. They both perform about the same with the straight line speed going to a cobra (bolt on for bolt on). Fit and finish to the 5.0, hands down. Find both, drive both, and Im sure yoy will have your decision by the end of the 2nd test drive. I had the same choice in 2011, and went with the 5.0 just because it felt like a better car to drive.

Sent from my Galaxy S-fizzledizzle

RichV

Reaction score
As one of the very few coyote owners on the forum, and someone who evaluated the same thing you're considering now...

Coyote. All the way.

Terminators are 1979 Fairmonts with a 4v blower motor that makes less power than the Coyote does naturally aspirated. Plus, the 2011+ cars are WAAAAAY nicer cars than anything fox-based. Period. Full stop.

Paul.

'78 Fairmonts, get it straight. :)

Power is power, can be made with any motor.

Both Coyote and Terminators make power. Blower obviously has an advantage when you want more out of it, but there are also bad thins like heat management, dealing with tunes and smog, and general reliability when you start raising boost. But, both make respectable power for the street.

Braking, both are capable of good street and track manners.

Chassis, this is where the Fairmont will lack. Big time. If you throw all the aftermarket you can at the Cobra chassis, it MAY get to the Coyote level. Then add suspension, and also the design being far superior on the Coyote, the Cobra just can't compare. Anything can be made to go fast straight, but shoot some turns in there, and that's not so true.

The Cobra has the cool factor and desirability, will definitely be a classic one day. The Coyote will be more of a revolutionary design phase in the S197 chassis, but will be plentiful. In 5 years a Coyote in a JY may be common.

So my choices:

-To drive/race: the Coyote without even thinking about it

-To keep under a cover and collect: Terminator

the.greg

Reaction score
Coyote is the better car, but a Cobra may have more sex appeal for the name, legacy, and looks, which are both quite subjective.

Both make similar power stock and respond well to mods. However the coyote's chassis is so much improved its really no comparison. I've driven several 2011+ cars and its much more controlled and comfy.

lutter94

Reaction score
Never really liked the terminators. The look isn't that impressive, and I'm really not a fan of the supercharger whine. Not much of a sleeper when its obvious it has a supercharger louder than the exhaust. If it was Mach 1 vs 2013 GT, then I would have to think about it, based almost entirely on aesthetics. But that new 5.0 is pretty impressive, would be tough to turn down.

Nacho98

Reaction score
Modern LX would sell like crazy I bet.

They would need to keep the crash stuff to be able to be sold but a stripped down LX with cloth and no extra gadgets would be sweet and several $$$thousand less.
Only problem is dealers make their profits on options.

They make this, it's the base GT. These can be had - brand new, no bullshit - for $25k-$26k stripped out with no options…they sticker for only $30k-$31k brand new.

Coyote. All the way.

Paul.

Agreed. With 350 miles on my fresh 2014 GT Premium that was just built on St. Patrick's day, I agree. Do you really want to daily a 10 year old car, which will eventually be 15 years old while you're still daily driving it? No thanks. For me, that ship sailed long ago. The terminator is cool for a weekend car, but for a daily? Forget it. Too old, too low tech, too outdated. More complicated engineering (superchargers, IRS) to go slower. The current solid axle runs identical times to an E92 M3 (Motortrend did an awesome back to back comparison with a 5.0 and an E92 M3) so the solid axle on the current car surely out handles the IRS on the Terminator, even if it's a little harsher day to day.

Eventually we all have to move on, I don't miss my '98 for a second when I get into my '14. FWIW I paid $34.5k for a car that stickered close to $41.4k, and that was for a special order, so you could get a base GT for $26k brand new all day, or a barely used on for like $22k-$23k, which is about what you'll pay for a stock, low-mile, non-ragged terminator. Plus you'll have a warranty, more power, and simpler engineering.

The Coyote will be more comfortable and cheaper to own in the long-run, guaranteed. There termi will nickel and dime you, guaranteed just due to age. My '98 was meticulously maintained and gorgeous, and even that car found ways to nickel and dime me so I got rid of it.

13528077185_33cf3dc93c_b.jpg

13572377615_eb07e4386b_b.jpg

13572416873_2ebb0549bf_b.jpg

Nacho98

Reaction score
i should also say while my '98 wasn't a terminator, it was still a nice car…but hardly anyone looked at it going down the road…the 2014, holy hell does it turn heads. the full LED taillights probably have a lot to do with it.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I disagree with you nacho. I think the sn95 platform was way more visually appealing than s197's. Yes the new ponies are monsters in comparison to the 215hp cars most of us once had but I wouldn't own one unless it said cobra,boss or roush on the paper work.

Nacho98

Reaction score
which part of what i said do you disagree with? lol

Nacho98

Reaction score
But that's just a fact from my experience, not opinion. Barely anyone looked at my '98, but nearly everyone rubbernecks at my '14. Has nothing to do with my personal opinion as to which looks better, I think they both look great but the general public seems to stare at the '14.

boss302whr

Reaction score
I've always dreamed of owning an 03-04 cobra. The name of them is so intimidating, Terminator, ya most people might not like a daily driven cobra but you want to get noticed, Terminator all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Termi is my dream car. But in the end, I wouldn't be able to get one. Can't park that in the street, and can't daily it, it would get destroyed.. That being said, it would be nice to daily a newer car, mine is 19 years old. And some things are starting to pop up to repair, but with a car this old its to be expected. I'd take the Termi for weekend warrior, Coyote for DD. Cai, tune, x pipe, catback, 400+ to the wheels easily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online