Test drove a stock 20k mile 98 Cobra today...

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by PinkieT, Sep 18, 2015.

1. PinkieT

PinkieT Well-Known Member

Still looking for an SN95 ragtop of my own - my wife has a 98 GT automatic with no performance mods other than staggered FR500s with summer tires, shock and strut braces and subframe connectors, and cat back exhaust. Local dealer had two - not one, but two - red 98 Cobra ragtops, one with about 20k miles and one with 34k. Both bone stock. Well, after the test drive I was not impressed. I though the extra 80 or so horsies over the GT would be noticeable, but no. Clutch was too light and smooth - couldn't feel it engage. Shifter was like it had rubber between the stick and the trans. I'm new to SN95s and have read up on mods. Am I correct that it would take steeper gears, aftermarket exhaust, after market shifter, a new clutch quadrant, and better tires to make it fun to drive?

Thanks!

2. lutter94

lutter94 Well-Known Member

Pushrods for the win!

3. fran5o

fran5o New Member

Well first of all the 4v engines, esp the early dual runner intake ones like the b head 98s, are gutless down low. They start to sing around 4500-5000 rpm so you really have to rev them out to feel the extra power.
    That's where the rear end gears come in, 4:10s or higher will make it feel much better power band wise.
    The weight from the rag top ain't helping things either.
    The shifter can be fixed for you if you like a notchy gate, just try a good aftermarket one. Clutch can be suited to your taste as well

4. MrE

MrE New Member

I was going to start a new thread but this is kind of similar to what id like to say.Pinky T, like you im looking for a 94-98 cobra mainly because it looks better than the 03-04 in my eyes.
    That said, id like the power levels of the 03-04, and just to make it even harder, I want it to handle as well or better than my 05 Nissan Z.

Anyone got suggestions on mods?

5. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

Mgw short throw shifter, 4.10 or 4.30 gears, some good tires.

6. PinkieT

PinkieT Well-Known Member

The two ragtops I saw today had identical strut tower braces. The one I'm thinking of buying doesn't. Were they standard? Mid-year addition?

7. Cpotts13

Cpotts13 Well-Known Member

Light clutch pedal?! What in the world!!!

Both my 2000 GT and my Current 2003 Mach 1 feel like I am leg pressing 40lbs! No joke...

(mach has new OEM clutch cable etc...)