Testing the waters on building 4.6 turbo kits.. interest?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Alright guys.. i've had numerous people from other sites ask me about building them a turbo kit or doing a writeup. I've been toying with this idea for about 3 months...

What would all you 96-98 Cobra/GT guys think of a Single Turbo hot section for $1500 w/ tubular headers, and complete kits w/ a T-70 or 60-1 turbo for $3500-4000 minus fuel system?

If the owners of the site have a problem with me asking this question, please feel free to delete this thread and PM me so we can discuss. This isn't a advertisement, just a "testing the waters" type of thing.

What i want to know is.. How many of you would be willing to purchase on within the next 3 months w/ a 1 month turn around time. And how many would be interested in the complete kit, and how many interested in a hot section setup only.

Thx

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
if your in a hurry.. pm magicbus on turbomustangs.com best bang for the buck.
im in no hurry...and i dont wanna drop $550 on them. :eek:

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
if i do headers, and someone wants just them, its gonna be around $500. you wont find them any cheaper than that b/c there a pain to make.

TheBab

Reaction score
I'd almost be tempted to sell off my s-trim and turbo the car.

It has a built block... :dunno:

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
ah come on.. you mean there's only 2 people interested in a turbo setup for the price of a supercharger for their cars?

TheBab

Reaction score
My car can be the test car.... :boink:

:hammer:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tell us more about it.

do you have any results, what are the numbers and options avaliable?

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
im in the process of building a turbo kit for my buddy but we have 5.0's so its alot easier then the 4.6.....500 bucks isnt bad for 4.6 turbo headers considering that its a tight area

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Ok,
the Single kit will be identical to what i've got now, It will just use a different set of custom tubular headers. V-band clamps on everything w/ your option of Mild steel, aluminized steel or stainless steel (stainless will be extra $$). I can offer JUST a hot section of headers and Y pipe to the turbo. Or i can do a full kit minus turbo stuff. or a COMPLETE kit. I can do Single 38mm or 44mm Wastegate flanges.

I'm looking at making approx. 700-800rwhp on my Single T-70 kit. If i dont get close to my goals, it will be removed jigs made and replaced by a Twin 61mm Kit. And then i'll be making jigs of the twin kit to begin selling them.

Here is what my kit looks like:
complete3.jpg

complete2-1.jpg

complete1-1.jpg

complete4.jpg

sideturbo2.jpg

sideturbo.jpg

hotsection6.jpg

frontturbo.jpg

Everything will be Tig Welded, and High Temp Paint Coated. IF i can find a local jet hot coater, i can have everything jet hot coated for extra. There are a few differences between the kit on my car and what i'll be selling.. 1. I will have the airfilter pointing the opposite direction on the turbo for more hot section/cold section clearance. 2. The downpipe will not be a full exhaust. It will only be about 15-30" long and the remainder of the exhaust will have to be done by an exhaust shop for differences in car setup reasons.

The Goal is for me to make a Turbo kit available that is REASONABLE in price.. I'm not in this to make thousands of dollars, but i'm not going to barely break even on materials expenses either.. The turbo's will be from Master Power, and the Wastegates will be either Tial or a Tial knockoff that i am currently using w/ great success. BOV's will be buyers option.

IF yall have anything more specific, post up your questions. The only way i'm going to decide if i'm going to do this or not is if i get a VERY high intrest in the kits.

97blackgt

Reaction score
so would you be interested in selling only certain sections of the turbo kit? for example maybe someone just wants headers? or a downpipe? could u just sell that? that would proably help out a lot more people and make u more money because most people cant afford the COMPLETE kit

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
97blackgt said:
so would you be interested in selling only certain sections of the turbo kit? for example maybe someone just wants headers? or a downpipe? could u just sell that? that would proably help out a lot more people and make u more money because most people cant afford the COMPLETE kit

i would probably be up for that. the only issues with that is. If i sell "just" a downpipe, its going to be specific to my kit and will have to be modified to work for others, unless drawings and measurements are made then i can do custom ones.

Headers like i said earlier will be approx. $500 maybe more, maybe less, depends on how long it takes me to make them and how valuable i think my time is away from work. lol.

But complete "hot sections" (headers, Y pipe, downpipe) will be available. I can even sell systems in "stages" so you buy say.. hot section, then cold section. then everything else...

So far i'm getting good feedback on this site and stangnet, so its a high possibility that this will happen.

97blackgt

Reaction score
ok so what are the different stages for the kit you would be building?

hot section kit
cold section kit
and turbo/wastegate/intercooler kit

"???

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Stages would be:
Hot Section piping
Cold Section piping
Hardware (to include, clamps, T-bolts, couplers, Oil feed and drain lines etc).
Power section. (Turbo, Intercooler, Wastegate, BOV)

Now the only thing i have left to do to get the ball rolling, is take care of a few bills (which i'm waiting on the check to get here to pay those off) then i've got to get my buddy to lemme borrow his car for a weekend to fab up the headers and hot section..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online