Tfi adapter

cobra199421

Reaction score
Has anyone adapted a sn95 to use a foxbody distributor? I just dropped a 331 with a v3 into my 94 cobra and have a foxbody terminator x. It's not syncing and I'm not getting spark but motor turns over. Someone mentioned adapting the tfi but how?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you don't change the passenger side accessory bracket the TFI on the dist will hit it, and I thought if you used the fox body accessory bracket that it hit the rad IIRC?

OP
OP
C

cobra199421

Reaction score
if you don't change the passenger side accessory bracket the TFI on the dist will hit it, and I thought if you used the fox body accessory bracket that it hit the rad IIRC?
My new set up came out of a fox. We didn't change anything. Everything fit fine into my 94. The issue is having a sn95 electrical system that was butchered by the previous owners, we took out or bypassed the alarms thinking we got locked out of the starter. We're still not getting spark though. We've trouble shot everything and I think we narrowed it down to the tfi. So if the tfi gets adapted it may fix the problem but I'm not sure. This is my 1st build with my 1st mustang so there's still a lot I don't know

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Has anyone adapted a sn95 to use a foxbody distributor? I just dropped a 331 with a v3 into my 94 cobra and have a foxbody terminator x. It's not syncing and I'm not getting spark but motor turns over. Someone mentioned adapting the tfi but how?
If you’re using terminator x, you would be better off getting a Holley dual sync distributor with a blank cap and using LS coils. The dual sync distributor is ok but requires a msd box.

OP
OP
C

cobra199421

Reaction score
If you’re using terminator x, you would be better off getting a Holley dual sync distributor with a blank cap and using LS coils. The dual sync distributor is ok but requires a msd box.
My buddy just suggested that

OP
OP
C

cobra199421

Reaction score
what kind of alarm was it?
There was the factory ford alarm, a "dealer alarm", a after market alarm and a motion/proximity alarm in my car. Both aftermarket alarms were tied into the ignition wires under the column.

OP
OP
C

cobra199421

Reaction score
I need the colors for a sn95 dizzy and a 93 dizzy. I think I'm not getting power so I have no pip? I'm going to call Holley to try and troubleshoot in the morning

OP
OP
C

cobra199421

Reaction score
The set up I have ran an 11.2 in the qtr last year in the foxbody. This year's shot obviously so I have this winter to get the issues squared away. I just hate feeling like I'm chasing ghosts. Lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There was the factory ford alarm, a "dealer alarm", a after market alarm and a motion/proximity alarm in my car. Both aftermarket alarms were tied into the ignition wires under the column.
I installed audio security for too long is why I ask. Did you remove all the wiring that was under the dash associated with the alarm or just disconnect the alarm module? Was there a relay up in the ignition harness? I am asking all this because depending on what alarm was in there and what you did to remove/bypass/disconnect it may or may not be why the starter is still seeing no power. Most alarms use a negative triggered relay that normally is mounted around the ignition harness to turn off the starter wire when the alarm is active. There are other brands like code alarm that uses a normally open starter kill meaning the starter wire/circuit is open/dead until the alarm connects it when you start the car. So in an alarm like this if you just disconnected the module, you have left the starter circuit open until you find the wires they cut, and reconnect them.

OP
OP
C

cobra199421

Reaction score
I installed audio security for too long is why I ask. Did you remove all the wiring that was under the dash associated with the alarm or just disconnect the alarm module? Was there a relay up in the ignition harness? I am asking all this because depending on what alarm was in there and what you did to remove/bypass/disconnect it may or may not be why the starter is still seeing no power. Most alarms use a negative triggered relay that normally is mounted around the ignition harness to turn off the starter wire when the alarm is active. There are other brands like code alarm that uses a normally open starter kill meaning the starter wire/circuit is open/dead until the alarm connects it when you start the car. So in an alarm like this if you just disconnected the module, you have left the starter circuit open until you find the wires they cut, and reconnect them.
Luckily they didn't cut any factory wires. They removed the insulation and just wrapped the aftermarket alarms to the bare section. It was easy to put the wiring back to "factory" by just unwrapping it and disconnecting. But the car did sit with no motor or battery for over 2 months. The factory ecu is gone (replaced by a holley Terminator x). I think we have a pin wrong in the connector for the tfi possibility. I can't find a color chart for a fox dizzy and a sn95 dizzy so I can see if that connector was made correctly

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am familiar with the wiring connection you mention BUT if there was a starter kill installed they would have HAD to cut the starter wire and insert the starter kill in between them. You might just poke your head back up in there and make sure there isn't a wire that is cut, or a relay or wires still connected to the wires in the ignition column

OP
OP
C

cobra199421

Reaction score
I am familiar with the wiring connection you mention BUT if there was a starter kill installed they would have HAD to cut the starter wire and insert the starter kill in between them. You might just poke your head back up in there and make sure there isn't a wire that is cut, or a relay or wires still connected to the wires in the ignition column
I replaced the ignition cylinder and switch when I was under there and didn't see anything but ill recheck

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok that is a cheaper brand with a regular relay style starter kill IF THEY HOOKED IT UP. One shop I worked at used them for a while, I hated working with them.

Look to see if you see an orange wire going up to a relay under the dash.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I’m running a fox distributor

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I’m running a fox distributor with a fox body terminator x on my 95 . I should take some new pics since the wiring is all cleaned up and old junk removed 61A9FFC6-5A8D-4A49-9911-A8342A2ADA79.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online