Thats not an amp

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
THAT'S AN AMP!
42237235794_faf9fcc67b_b.jpg

back in the car audios heyday Phoenix Gold was one of the best names in the biz and every few years they liked to make a limited edition amplifier. For this one they took 2 of what were arguably their most popular amps as well as some of the most powerful they made and put it in one huge nickel plated heat sink that they made 50 of. PG got their name by using gold plated circuit boards and the 2 MS2250 amps that make up this beast came out so good looking that they put plexi on the amps botttom and designed it to be mounted upside down so much to the point that the end caps are even printed upside down.
42956288741_aa6cb16de7_b.jpg

These amps were popular because they were known as cheater amps. In competition you were separated by how much power your amplifier made at 4 ohms stereo. PG and other companies came out with amps that when you cut the ohms in half you doubled the power, and it did it again when you ran it in mono not stereo. So in the end this amp that is rated at 250 watts x 2 could put out well over 1500 watts if set up correctly(big alternator big battery big wires ect) and as long as you could supply it 200+ amps of power(true story). Slapping 2 of these in one sink was nearly insane as it ended up being 34 inches long and weighing over 30 lbs and could suck 400+ amps of current if you could supply it. This project actually started back nearly 3 years ago for me when I came across a deal on the heat sink in an audio forum. It was one of those deals where it was too good to be true and too cheap not to try and gamble and until the nickel plated sink arrived I was not sure it was not a scam, but it wasn't and the project to complete it was on. It took almost a year to find 2 MS2250's just because they are still that popular now 30 yrs after they were made even though they are known to have exploding capacitors on them(true story). So the first thing I did after taking them out of their heat sinks was replace all the caps. I also used better/thicker signal/rca cables as well as thicker speaker wires. I also needed to find the 2 end caps that came off of a different make/model of amp and it took some time but after sourcing those I polished them and sent them off for nickel plating. Because I didn't meet the minimum order for the plater and also because it will look killer to have some other matching gear I go the DD10(big fancy fuse box) and some dist block covers done to match. After plating it also took some time to find someone that could handle the printing but through some good friends I found someone that did an amazing job with a UV printer I am told(all I know sounds expensive). The final piece of the project was the plexi. The gold "phoenix gold" logo was how they came originally and I added the dealer plexi on the other side that explains the different parts and features of the amp. You can see the details of the plexi in this pic as well as the amps serial number #666
42906659632_e18d7f871c_b.jpg

If all goes as planned this will be taking it place where my back seat use to be.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Pretty sweet! Excellent work as always. The amp is definitely wall trophy worthy. Are plans to install in the mustang?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes this amp is worth of being put on a shelf and appreciated and there are plenty of amp collectors(honestly with a room or two filled with amps) that would love to have this amp, but I am not one to keep something around I am not using. This amp will be driving a single 12" subwoofer as well as the 9" woofers in each door. Should be putting out a true 2500 rms between the speakers at full power.

Here is a video of a guy that puts amps on an amp dyno to see how much power they put out just remember the MS1000 is made of up two of these amps.
[video=youtube;RO4naOAlskM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO4naOAlskM[/video]

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I took the boss lady's Trans Am to get the back window tinted the other day. The tint place was advertising Phoenix Gold and it made me think of you!

You should send them your little restoration, I am sure they would like to see someone still using their special edition stuff! I know this has been a process for you.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Pretty cool project. I guess my calibration tech side was kicking in as I was hoping for more of a test set up in the video. Though that dyno was pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online