The 1997 V6 to Terminator swap

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Time for a t56 magnum!!!!!!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was something I was considering but the cost of that got me to considering rebuilding mine myself. If I was going to pay someone to do it then buying the Magnum would make more sense after the labor, parts and shipping costs.

I just briefly did some research today on doing the rebuild myself. I have most of the tools required except for a press. Ill likely get one from HF so under $150 since its something I'll use again. While I'm doing the rebuild the plan is to upgrade the fork pads to the bronze ones and get the billet keys. A few thread I went through said they were well worth it. I'll obviously replace the 1/2 syncro and whatever else in there looks like its in bad shape. Might just go ahead and order a full bearing kit and all the synchros since I'll be in there. Not sure yet. I'm still in the research/planning phase of this unexpected project

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That was something I was considering but the cost of that got me to considering rebuilding mine myself. If I was going to pay someone to do it then buying the Magnum would make more sense after the labor, parts and shipping costs.

I just briefly did some research today on doing the rebuild myself. I have most of the tools required except for a press. Ill likely get one from HF so under $150 since its something I'll use again. While I'm doing the rebuild the plan is to upgrade the fork pads to the bronze ones and get the billet keys. A few thread I went through said they were well worth it. I'll obviously replace the 1/2 syncro and whatever else in there looks like its in bad shape. Might just go ahead and order a full bearing kit and all the synchros since I'll be in there. Not sure yet. I'm still in the research/planning phase of this unexpected project

Also, if you do enough digging around, there is a PDF file floating around that has the Ford tear down and rebuild manual for that transmission. I may have it saved to my computer and if I can find it, Ill email it to you.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1. Change the fluid first, something heaver to make the synchro work, as they wear they need heavier drag to get the speeds correct.
2. Build the T45, they handle 750 pounds of torque and are by far the smoothest trans made once you get rid of a few cheap Ford parts.
3. Come by and drive mine to see if you want to go that route. People say "nice car" but my trans is the "!@#$%^&*()_+ best manual ever".
4. I live off New Hampshire Ave.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ford spec is ATF basically so going thicker is easy but anything too slick will make the shifting worse because synchromesh works off of stick-shun.
I have used Redline MTF, Amsoil SynManSynchroTrans which Tremec recommends. Amsoil Syn DCT fluid looks promising? If you go to slick then the shifting will get worse.
When I built my trans the brass synchro rings were worn but I think the cheap paper friction disks Ford used is the big problem, the new Kevlar/carbon replacements are going to hold up better.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Thanx. when I had my Bullitt, I was looking for something to help the 3650. I tried almost everything..Redline made it much worse; RP made it worse, Valvoline syn was better, mobil 1 syn was even better and I wound up with Amsoil. so when I got the cobra, I put Amsoil in it right away. am about to change it again and thought about trying something else just to see so why I was asking.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your right. Good for trying different types, you know much more than most through hard knocks and can sift through the BS.
My buddy says the new Ford DCT fluid works great but it is 25.00 a quart is the cheapest I have found:shocked:

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
didn't realize amsoil had two...not sure which one I used then. also, when I tried the mobil 1, added lucas tranny fix to the 3650and that seemed to help some too, but still the amsoil was best overall. that 3650 in that car was horrible so it made it kinda easy to ascertain which ones were working.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
one of the ones I have not tried is the gm syncromesh. not sure how that one would be in the 45

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
this may be the same as the gm and I think this is what I used.

s-l1600.jpg

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I do use the Lucas to increase viscosity as high as 130 for the track and some regular stinky sulfur stuff.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
In both my 3550 and the T-56 I have been using Pennzoil GM Syncromesh, and it's been great so far. That is what Tremec was recommending several years ago.

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
I'm currently running 4 quarts of amsoil syncromesh in my T56. I could take a shot at another fluid before a tear down though

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I also know that at least as far as the 3650 is concerned, it is very finicky about the amount of fluid. had to be pretty exact on the amount which as I recal was either 3.2 or 3.3 quarts. don't know if the t45 is as finicky.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, I have learned to run 3 quarts with a shot of something extra for thickening, too much and it would get in the way of the forks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online