The 1997 V6 to Terminator swap

grilla

Reaction score
Oh ur from Maryland also? Nice so am i but im in Baltimore. Hope to see that car when ur done. Its gonna b a bad ass car. If i had the $$$ thats what i would do wit my 95 GT is the Terminator swap. I think thats the best motor they put in a mustang is the Terminator engine. Good luck wit it. Right now im just tryin to figure out WTF is wrong wit my car. It hasn't been on the road for a long time cuz of what ever is wrong wit it

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Progress has been slow lately. Ive been parting out the Cobra to free up space. Got most everything gone now. On the 97' my radiator support came in and I got that welded in. Went to install my radiator and found out the tabs are spaced for a 96 and below radiator so I got new tabs sent to me to weld on so I can continue fabricating the heat exchanger brackets, ac and power steering cooler. I got the subframe connector on the drivers side installed but I have to install the fuel system before I do the other side because the lines run under the connector. Ill be posting some pictures after the weekend if I can get some hours in the car like I'm hoping to.

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Removed the fuel lines and tank today. Looks like the charcoal canister on the 03/04 (maybe other years) is tucked inside the rear bumper behind the drivers side wheel well. I assume there will be space for that on the 97'. If the humidity drops off tomorrow Ill be doing the undercoating of the floor pan so I can install my lines and finish up the subframe connectors.

On a side note, I had some go fast and go slow parts come in on the same day.

A set of Dougs longtubes and x pipe that I traded the differential from the cobra for
8Ge6Q4w.jpg

And a set of 2015 GT brake calipers, lines, pads and rotors. Got these on ebay for 260 shipped from Shelby in las vegas. Theyre taken off new vehicles. IMO you cant beat it. Fully loaded calipers and lines for 260$. I think just the calipers from Ford are like 320$ I cant use the rotors from the 15' because my friend is modifying my spindles and making a bracket but used a 12' GT500 rotor. I should be getting everything from my buddy next week so hopefully I can get these mocked up because Im pretty excited for this set up.

gd8rc3Y.jpg

And the one thing I was worried about was them fitting behind the FR500 wheel but that turned out to be a non issue
7jcXA6z.jpg

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Todays project was making space in the garage. Fitting half the vert in the back of my truck tomorrow along with a bunch of other scrap metal and making a trip to the scrap yard Monday.
PJzyXDV.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Well then, never seen half a cobra before lol. Take some pictures of it in the truck.

Anywho, whats required to mount those '15 brakes under there? Thats a hell of a price for some good calipers. What size rims are you running?

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Heres a picture of the car in the bed of my F150! and a few pictures of the garage afterwards.

ql8S9yR.jpg

LgE5aXk.jpg

giOBOlT.jpg
Those brakes run a 14 inch rotor. You have to get GT500 rotors because they aren't as deep as the 15' rotors. They require an 18 inch wheel. You can buy a kit from fully torqued racing that they make to put GT500 calipers and it works with the 15' calipers with light milling of the caliper. (they have a thread on this forum detailing that part) This option is much easier to get because I think the calipers new from Ford are around 300$ or go eBay and get the loaded calipers and lines for even less!

The route I went went was having my friend back home mill my spindle and make me a bracket to mount the 15' caliper to my spindle. I had an extra set so I told him even if it didn't work out it wasn't a big deal. The FTR kit is a really nice piece. Its requires you to use a 3/4in spacer so you have to have the right offset wheel for that and I already had my wheels which is one of the reasons I didn't go that route.

neverenuff

Reaction score
gd8rc3Y.jpg

And the one thing I was worried about was them fitting behind the FR500 wheel but that turned out to be a non issue
7jcXA6z.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Holly caliper! That thing is masssive, cars coming along great!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Progress is rolling forward.. My in-laws are in town this week and today my father-in-law said "hey lets pull the motor from that car". 100* outside today with the humidity, not much better in the garage, so we set up a gate and a fan to blow the A/C from the house in to the garage. Turned out to be the best idea ever. We lowered the motor down with an atv/motorcycle jack and rolled it out. Not done in the most conventional way but it worked. Got to make do with what I've got to work with. We separated the trans from the engine and got the engine on the stand. Now its ready for a lot of cleaning and some basic maintenance. The car had a puck clutch so that gotta go. I also might upgrade to the 26 spline input shaft because mine has a little side to side play.. Anyhow, here are some pictures from today
jScZ9NP.jpg

MZAJK5I.jpg

m58Jgyg.jpg

9Zk1Nsf.jpg

Reaction score
And a set of 2015 GT brake calipers, lines, pads and rotors. Got these on ebay for 260 shipped from Shelby in las vegas. Theyre taken off new vehicles. IMO you cant beat it. Fully loaded calipers and lines for 260$. I think just the calipers from Ford are like 320$ I cant use the rotors from the 15' because my friend is modifying my spindles and making a bracket but used a 12' GT500 rotor. I should be getting everything from my buddy next week so hopefully I can get these mocked up because Im pretty excited for this set up.

gd8rc3Y.jpg

7jcXA6z.jpg

OMG

TITS LEVEL OVER 9000!!!

lemme know how this works out for you, i know [MENTION=17526]Pete@FTR[/MENTION] is doing this with his new edge this is the next upgrade i want to do to the brakes on my car before i go with wilwoods

1bad95

Reaction score
Looks great man! Awesome project! I am also from MD, up in Cecil county.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrence