The 1997 V6 to Terminator swap

cheebs127

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im new to this forum but Ive done plenty of lurking and reading before actually signing up. I've always loved the SN95. I had a 96 V6 in high school that I started to Cobra swap but unfortunately I had to part out the project when I enlisted. Fast forward seven years and I'm back at it again chasing an old dream.

This car started out as a 1997 V6. I bought it and a 98 GT for $800 with the original plan being to swap the GT into the 97 and then do a built Mark VIII motor swap with some sort of power adder. Pretty much a swap in a swap. I changed gears a few months in once both cars were torn down and I came across a good deal on a whole 03 Cobra that had been wrecked. So thats where Im at now. I have a complete Cobra in the garage and the 97 is awaiting some torque box reinforcements and subframe connectors before I start swapping over wiring and fuel systems.

My goal for the car was mostly street use. I'll probably take it to the strip a time or two just to see what it does and maybe run it against my dads 65' Fastback just for the hell of it if I ever take the car home. I decided to keep the 8.8 solid axle. I had already picked up everything to build the axle and rear suspension for whatever I was going to throw at it before the termi came along. Below is a list of parts Ive compiled for the build.

Front Suspension/Brakes
-Team Z autocross k-member
-03 Cobra rack w/ offset bushings
-Strange adjustable struts w/ coil over kit
-MM caster/camber plates
-Modified spindles + custom bracket to accept 14 inch rotors and 2015+ 4 piston calipers
-13.8" rear rotors and 2015 calipers with custom brackets (in design phase)
-Maximum Motorsports steering shaft
-Steeda bumpsteer kit
-ABS delete
Chassis
-MM subframe connectors
-Team Z bumper support
-Team Z radiator support
-Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace
-UPR shock tower brace
-Trunk Battery relocation
Rear Suspension/Axle
-03 IRS
-Diff Brace
-FTBR bushing kit
-FTBR toe link
-FTBR sway bar end links
-H&R race springs
Engine/Exhaust/Fuel
-Steig Stage 3 blower
-2.76 Pulley
-LFP single blade TB and elbow
-FRPP 60lb injectors
-KB Boost-a-pump
-SCT 2600 MAF
-JBA Shorties
-Bassani catted x-pipe
-Bora Stinger cat-back
-13' GT500 heat exchanger with twin electric fans
-Canton battery location heat exchanger reservoir.
Transmission
-Spec Aluminum flywheel
-Spec Stg 3+ clutch w/low pedal option
-Tremec 26 spline input shaft
-MGW short throw Shifter
-Stifflers Transmission crossmember
Interior
-Braum Elite Series Seats
-Autometer clock and instrument cluster pods
-Speedhut Oil Press., Coolant Temp, Volt, and WB AFR
-Painted clock pod, radio and shifter bezels to match exterior color

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Heres what she started out as. 97 V6 with 108k and a blown 3.8
sCfMdEv.jpg

JR4EWGU.jpg

When both cars got in the garage. the GT had a bent passenger side front frame
5tw1iBc.jpg

Blown 3.8 coming out!
3pyUiAt.jpg

Didn't get many pictures of the rest of the tear down but it came down to a bare shell. I wire wheeled the underside and used 3M undercoating (really liked this product)
iCpf3WR.jpg

Next I used the same undercoating in the shock towers and primered the front clip. I was still deciding on an exterior color when I did black so I went back and painted it Magnetic (2015 Mustang color) with a custom aerosol and a 2 part clear in an aerosol can. I was very pleased with the finish. I have to do some welding next week. I ordered a Team Z lower radiator support and I have to make some custom brackets for the power steering cooler and the 2014 GT500 heat exchanger I picked up to replace my very broken stock piece.
3a3FdXG.jpg

fVOz1dk.jpg

oy0wdbJ.jpg

K3yL1Ff.jpg

4safm8O.jpg

JmYU8Cs.jpg

pSuheZF.jpg

JSFwPm0.jpg

zbPluu5.jpg

Wb5P8fQ.jpg

And finally for now, the donor car. 80k mile 03 Cobra
Ox0mx52.jpg

q7zoOqF.jpg

Both in the garage now. Got the 97 up on stands and moving dollies to get some welding done
9czMfNw.jpg

WhiteStallion98

Reaction score
Dude....what a swap...you have to be an engineer....how hard was the wiring???

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
I'm far from an engineer haha. I do avionics in the AF so pretty much a box swapper with the occasional spark chasing. The wiring should be easy though. Just swapping every single harness over but removing the Mach audio system and the stuff for the convertible from the harnesses.

alex302

Reaction score
very nice work so far!!! if you need any help let me know i 4v swapped my 95 GT with a full mach 1 swap then add a eaton.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like this is going to be a very well done build. Excited to see it!

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Nice work on the paint. This should be a really fun car.

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive responses everyone! Ill definitely be finishing this project. Ive been buying and selling parts, trying to get as much as I can second hand to save money. I added my goals and parts list to the first post too

neverenuff

Reaction score
Great find! Sucks people keep wrecking those terminators but their loss is you gain! That two-part paint turned out really well. Is it going to be a sleeper or a track car?..........just curious are you getting rid of that irs?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
Yeah it is a shame the car was wrecked. The story I got on FB was a DUI and the guy went off the road. I caught some crap on a FB page because people felt the car should be fixed/restored but it just isn't worth it to sink all that money in and at the end of the day have a salvage title car thats worth less that Id have in to it. It'd need all the 03/04 body panels ($$$) plus the rear quarter, doors and the trunk floor has a slight ripple in it.

Its mostly going to be a sleeper that Ill enjoy on the street but Ill probably go to the track a time or two. I'd really like to get some time on a road course but it would only be recreational.

My plan is to get rid of the IRS. Not sure if Im going to part it out or sell it whole. Depends on if its local or not because I'm sure shipping the whole thing wouldn't be too much fun.

neverenuff

Reaction score
Yeah the purists are out there...do they even have one? Probably not. And hopefully this guy/girl doesn't get another supercharged V-8 if it was a DUI! Anyways cut it up a make the sn95 reborn again!....I'm local if you're in SoCal but if not sell it and buy more car parts haha. Anyway excellent choice for a swapped red SN! Look forward to the progress

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cheebs127

Reaction score
I'm on the opposite coast my friend. That's a bummer. I had to work the weekend but I'll be doing some welding Mon/Tues and Ill post some more pictures up if yall go easy on my second time welding :shocked:

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I'm on the opposite coast my friend. That's a bummer. I had to work the weekend but I'll be doing some welding Mon/Tues and Ill post some more pictures up if yall go easy on my second time welding :shocked:
Where on the east coast? This is awesome had the same plans as soon as i find the right donor and reciever lol. Id like to see this dude keep it up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online