The 300k-mi 2000 GT resurrection thread

sn95jones

Reaction score
Well I finally got back into the Mustang scene, after COVID hit I lost my 2019 GT/CS and I thought why not go back to my roots. So I searched high and low for a project GT and came across one here in Texas which ended up being a 2000 GT 5spd with 300k miles. The owner parked it 3mo ago when he claims he lost oil pressure due to the oil pump locking up. Once I checked out the car I found out he actually ran it bone dry, so I brought the car home and started my tear down process. After getting the engine removed I found the cylinder #1, 3, and 5 had a spun rod bearing and on the top end on both the driver and passenger side heads I found 2 rocker arms laying inside the head. I went ahead and made some calls and ended up dealing with Jasper Engines to come pick up the engine and rebuild the entire entire for $3500. Yes I know I could have bought a used engine but with my plans for this car I didn’t want to throw in another engine with over 100k miles.
At the moment my build list consists of…
Rebuilt engine
BBK long tube headers
Comp Cam stage 3 cams
McLeod street clutch
Saleen body kit
Saleen wheels
Black interior swap
Rear seat delete
Corbeau seats
Paint silver from the original Atlantic Blue
And much much later down the road a supercharger.

The car already has…
3.73 gears
Aluminum driveshaft
X pipe
Short throw shifter
Cobra brakes
Lowering spring
Steeda strut tower brace (not going back on)

The car also was tuned by the infamous Mike Murillo who unfortunately is no longer in business.
So this will be a long term build but it seems I’m off to a decent start. The engine gets picked up on Monday and they will have it for 10 weeks. In the meantime I’ll clean up the engine bay and any parts going back on the engine, and I’ll most likely replace most of the bolts that were removed as a lot of them were rounded off from being removed and over tightened over the years.

Decided to go ahead and make a project post on the 300k mile GT I’ve been working on

E332449C-D310-43BA-82FB-83794D0D6949.jpeg64210E82-2B3C-4B96-8392-50AA916A26B2.jpegEF54EED5-858E-4CA3-97E2-FE3A0E0EBF69.jpeg4B86E16A-7C48-4062-9EE9-BB209D937775.jpeg74928A65-070C-4CAE-9296-193EEF521F70.jpeg5A6EFFFE-BFEF-4564-A615-2A64AE94F2DF.jpeg250113EF-680B-443A-B928-443DBBBA6E4A.jpeg36576963-C775-4213-AEB9-6EF88D4A3544.jpegBFDD3F19-BD99-4F8B-996C-65E457EC37A0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Snorky

Reaction score
Looks like a good project in the making

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I'm sure you probably know but I'm gonna reiterate incase you don't. Careful with "stage 3" cams as any duration over 240 and lift in the typical .550 range is known to cause PTV issues unless you retard the cams a ton and that kills any hp gained by them.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I keep coming back to the new edge myself lol, I’ve owned 4. I’m not getting rid of this one. What interior color is this one? And welcome back.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I'm sure you probably know but I'm gonna reiterate incase you don't. Careful with "stage 3" cams as any duration over 240 and lift in the typical .550 range is known to cause PTV issues unless you retard the cams a ton and that kills any hp gained by them.
A good .070" deep valve relief on the piston top is all thats needed to get you in the clear.

Real simple to do at home if you got an old valve and some sticky sand paper applied to the valve face. Loosely assemble the engine with a bare head, install the sand paper valve to the bore of piston to be modified. Bring the piston to the top. Use a hand drill with light pressure to cut out the relief. Its a timely process and you may have to reapply the paper a few times for each piston, but definitely doable at home. Worst part is the clean up. Sand is involved which means everything will need to be cleaned. Cutting the pistons before rebuilding is ideal, cause its all going to get cleaned anyway.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Send them comp cams back to comp and ask for a 110lsa grind. All them goody parts will compliment a set of nasty cams!!

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
I actually was unaware of this, thank you for letting me know before I bought them

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
I keep coming back to the new edge myself lol, I’ve owned 4. I’m not getting rid of this one. What interior color is this one? And welcome back.
I hear ya man, this one is here to stay. It’s gray/black interior, I don’t care for the gray and just want the solid black

garrittpwl

Reaction score
A good .070" deep valve relief on the piston top is all thats needed to get you in the clear.

Real simple to do at home if you got an old valve and some sticky sand paper applied to the valve face. Loosely assemble the engine with a bare head, install the sand paper valve to the bore of piston to be modified. Bring the piston to the top. Use a hand drill with light pressure to cut out the relief. Its a timely process and you may have to reapply the paper a few times for each piston, but definitely doable at home. Worst part is the clean up. Sand is involved which means everything will need to be cleaned. Cutting the pistons before rebuilding is ideal, cause its all going to get cleaned anyway.
Whilst people like you and I would take the time to do this. Most people wont and then wonder what happened when they have to pay to have someone rebuild the engine again.

I actually was unaware of this, thank you for letting me know before I bought them
Watch this video. I know its an hour long and if you're not doing the cams yourself there is a lot of info you wont need, but Jordan from MHS outlines exactly why so many camshafts have issues in 2v's.

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
mhmm.. If you just swap out the black/grey, LMK, I can use it.

Welcome back, Jones.
The driver door panel isn’t the best, the armrest part has cracked, the dash is perfect, and the driver seat does have a tear but the rest is of the interior is mint. Oh except the headliner that is trashed lol

Good to see some OG’s are still on here

07GtS197

Reaction score
My last 00 gt had that same interior color. I wasn’t a fan of it either. I prefer charcoal myself even though my 02 has parchment interior. Doesn’t look bad with white though.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
The driver door panel isn’t the best, the armrest part has cracked, the dash is perfect, and the driver seat does have a tear but the rest is of the interior is mint. Oh except the headliner that is trashed lol

Good to see some OG’s are still on here

We just keep getting older and older!! I've enjoyed this place for a very long time and I'm happy to "give back" by helping the newer crowd out.

I'm interested in the decent parts when the times comes. I'd even meet you half way to Baton Rouge, just to shake your hand in person after all this time :cool:

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
We just keep getting older and older!! I've enjoyed this place for a very long time and I'm happy to "give back" by helping the newer crowd out.

I'm interested in the decent parts when the times comes. I'd even meet you half way to Baton Rouge, just to shake your hand in person after all this time :cool:
Absolutely! You have first dibs on all the interior you want when it comes out! It’s certainly been a long time but it is truly great to be back, lots of great memories on this forum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online