The car is hard to start up. why!!!

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
My car is becoming my bitch to start up and im not sure why. It takes 2 cranks to get her up and purring on cold starts. The 1st crank is the non successful crank sound than the 2nd it fires up just fine. The battey meter inside the car says the battery is good. I was told my fuel filter looks old as hell when my catback was installed, so maybe thats it.

EThorpe

Reaction score
Have the Batt check'd anyways, Voltage and amperage are two different things.

Starter/solenoid may also be on it's way out, just not fully gone yet.

u n v kenny

Reaction score
Try tapping on the starter... well, banging on it lol

Also, roll it and pop the clutch, if it starts up, very well could be the starter and or the solenoid.

281cammer

Reaction score
What does it do first time? Does it spin over, but doesn't start up? Or does it spin over slow? If it spins over but doesn't fire up you need to look at fuel related issues. If thats the case, the 1st thing to check is to see if the fuel pump primes itself, when you first turn key forward. Also go ahead and put a fuel filter on it maintence is never a bad thing.
Steve Ricketts

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
281cammer said:
What does it do first time? Does it spin over, but doesn't start up? Or does it spin over slow? If it spins over but doesn't fire up you need to look at fuel related issues. If thats the case, the 1st thing to check is to see if the fuel pump primes itself, when you first turn key forward. Also go ahead and put a fuel filter on it maintence is never a bad thing.
Steve Ricketts

Hmmm, we all know how a cold mustang v8 sounds when they fire up. They make the simi loud noise than they roar to life. Well, it makes the normal sound but before it gets to the roar to life part it gets stranded there. The strange thing is after the 1st try fails the second crank is fires up with no damn proble @ all. So it spins over normal but doesnt fire up. Fuel?

97vertstang

Reaction score
i say its fuel related. when i have low fuel on my car, it takes a while to start.

ALITL8

Reaction score
mine does that on occasion, hasnt been enough of a problem to bother me though. if it did it everytime or every other time i'd have an issue. check the simple stuff first; fuel filter, K&N could need cleaning, make sure the fuel pump is priming when you turn on the key, etc.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
mine does that on occasion, hasnt been enough of a problem to bother me though. if it did it everytime or every other time i'd have an issue. check the simple stuff first; fuel filter, K&N could need cleaning, make sure the fuel pump is priming when you turn on the key, etc.

The k&n was just put in there acouple weeks ago. We removed the air siliencer also, but i doubt thats the problem. Ill see if my bud can look over the air filter install again.

ALITL8

Reaction score
Twista said:
The k&n was just put in there acouple weeks ago. We removed the air siliencer also, but i doubt thats the problem. Ill see if my bud can look over the air filter install again.

well the filter doesnt need to be cleaned. replace the fuel filter and see if that fixes it. if not, you can go from there :dunno:

97WhitePony

Reaction score
Are you giving the fuel pump time to prime? Mine does that when i dont wait for it... usually i turn the key foward and give it about 7 - 10 seconds or so, then go with the cranking of the motor.... maybe try that :thumb:

Adam

Reaction score
Fuel is in the rails at all times. Go unhook your fuel line from your fuel rail, its will squirt all over the place. No need to "primer" the fuel pump. You are not getting spark or fuel on initial crank. I would bet fuel. You may not have fuel in the rail due to a small fuel leak. If it was ignition it wouldn't start the 2nd or 3rd crank either. Do you have cams or anything like that? There is a parameter in your tune called crank_fuel_pulsewidth, it basically determines how much fuel is used to get the car to fire. Your ignition advances automatically on startup so like I said, I doubt thats the problem. It seems like from your description that fuel is not there upon initial crank but gets in "position" by the time the next crank is tryed. I would clean the MAF, change fuel filter and look for anything out of the ordinary in the fuel system.

Adam

blkstangman88

Reaction score
not sure about ur situation but mine started doing that about a month ago, normaly it would start instantly. then i started to notice is i drive down the road at a steady pace it would "shitter" a tinny bit, not enough for a passanger to notice but enough that i would, then last saturday driving down the road my fuel pump went out. pretty bad but my new pump wont be here till tuesday adn the worst part i just filled up my tank and drove no more then 20 miles down the road.

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
blkstangman88 said:
not sure about ur situation but mine started doing that about a month ago, normaly it would start instantly. then i started to notice is i drive down the road at a steady pace it would "shitter" a tinny bit, not enough for a passanger to notice but enough that i would, then last saturday driving down the road my fuel pump went out. pretty bad but my new pump wont be here till tuesday adn the worst part i just filled up my tank and drove no more then 20 miles down the road.

You know you've got problems when your stang starts to shit all over the road. :hammer:

Mine did the same thing. It would take an extended crank to get it to fire on the first try - like 4 seconds long and when it would catch it would feel weak. I just replaced the fuel filter today and it fires up in like 1/2 second.

g_dogg

Reaction score
i had the same problem u describe. my battery was old and weak. got new optima battery. no problems startin since

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Adam said:
Fuel is in the rails at all times. Go unhook your fuel line from your fuel rail, its will squirt all over the place. No need to "primer" the fuel pump. You are not getting spark or fuel on initial crank. I would bet fuel. You may not have fuel in the rail due to a small fuel leak. If it was ignition it wouldn't start the 2nd or 3rd crank either. Do you have cams or anything like that? There is a parameter in your tune called crank_fuel_pulsewidth, it basically determines how much fuel is used to get the car to fire. Your ignition advances automatically on startup so like I said, I doubt thats the problem. It seems like from your description that fuel is not there upon initial crank but gets in "position" by the time the next crank is tryed. I would clean the MAF, change fuel filter and look for anything out of the ordinary in the fuel system.

Adam

my car is all stock. I just got a stock fuel pump out of 95 GT and ill check when it comes if my problems goes away.

Heres a update:

I have a 97 GT Mustang with pretty much stock everything. It seems after the car sits for along time it has a HARD time cranking back up. The 1st crank never fires up and the 2nd crank the stang fires up. I had a buddy look @ my car and he hooked up some guage thing to this fuel thing ontop of the injector rail. He told me to fire up the car to see what my fuel pressue was. On start up it @ 28 PSI which he said is low. He said my car should atleast be @ 34ish on start up. (or he might said 40ish.. i cant remember)

Now heres another problem. He said when the car is turned off the pressue is suppose to be stable and steady. However, on my car my fuel pressuse droped down from 28 to 15 within 10min. Now we believe when its having a hard time cranking in the morning because by than my fuel pressue has dropped down to 0.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
i psot on 2 many mustang forums :comando: I didnt see i already posted this in another section here. :naughty:

ALITL8

Reaction score
just start throwing money at it till its fixed ;D did you say you already replaced the fuel pump or its on its way? thats probably where youre losing pressure if you cant see any leakage... trace all the fuel lines and look for leaks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online