The dreaded clunk

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
I have read a lot about this and I've replaced parts. So far I've replaced the front shocks rack and pinion ball joints control arm bushings. When I'm backing up turning he wheel to the right it makes a loud clunk. Any help would be great full. This noise is driving me crazy.

kb1982

Reaction score
From the parts you have replaced, I assume you think its definitely coming from the front end? If not, could be the trac lok in the rearend making noise. It can be easily confused with a suspension component making noise since they usually do it while backing at near full lock on the steering wheel. Not saying that this may be the case but something to look into. If it is, usually a change of rear diff fluid and the appropriate amount of friction modifier will cure that. Especially in higher milage cars that have never had the diff fluid changed.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
Thanks I will look into that. It only happens when backing and turning the wheel it seems as it is a popping noise coming from the front drivers side

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Thanks I will look into that. It only happens when backing and turning the wheel it seems as it is a popping noise coming from the front drivers side

did you replace your front struts? maybe the stock camber plate? i am getting the same popping sound when i hit small bumps or hit the brakes so i'm hoping it's my struts.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
I replaced the front struts and bushings. I still have the stock camber plates. I'm waiting to replace those. I'm thinking it may be a wheel bearing. I'm not sure when they were replaced car has over 200000 miles on the body. So it's possible they haven't been yet. Doing the cobra upgrade for the brakes soon.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
ya very well could be. i had wheel bearings gone on my ranger and would make a grindy clunky sound consistent with the speed. it was terrible. but it was like a clunk clunk... not a consistent grind. i'll be gettin some wheel bearings myslef. i am at 206,000 kms. stock struts lol.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
Figured I would give an update. I replaced the end link bushings after that the clunk was gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online