The "I don't know what to name this" Build Thread

damon81nola

Reaction score
Pardon if some things are repeated or out of order as I combined multiple threads from other forums. I am I guess a GT lover from New Orleans. I have had a 89 Ford Ranger GT (rebuilt but lost in Hurricane Katrina), a 1988 Honda Hawk GT (rebuilt but my ex…. long story)

The before:
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://s979.photobucket.com/user/darelldlaw/media/the%20hawk/IMG_1088.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae280/darelldlaw/the%20hawk/IMG_1088.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

The After:
Bike002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG], and now a 1996 Ford Mustang GT pretty much stock

00013433-846A-43FB-9CD8-1D8D37EC4D82_zpsh3ccmzqx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FD988C96-B0E8-49DD-96A7-7253CF03F0BF_zpsbzk5qvtg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0FBDBA8E-173A-46E4-A39E-6B639C480CB1_zpspqaovvr0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG].I hate those TAIL LIGHTS and headlights! Sorry for the brief rant!

I am what they call a tinkerer and I love to take apart and rebuild things. That ranges from computers, phones, tv's, motorcycles… eh you get the point. Anyways. I don't think you all will believe me when I say i got a steal for this Mustang GT. But everything comes with a price...

First off, I got it for the price of an iPhone. I was initially supposed to pay $500 but I paid $240 as a downpayment. I was to pay him the remainder the next week but I had to do some research before buying this car. I called a couple police buddies and also the DMV to find out if it was stolen and what was the title status and got the all good. When I called him he said that he had gotten what he wanted and to come get the car. This thing has 97,000 miles on it!

Next thing is... when we got there he told us that we would need to tow it so I called a tow company. It was only about a mile or two from where I lived so no biggie. A $65 haul. He also said that he had removed Cams from the car before we got there and some other parts as well. Problem is, the engine hadn’t been tampered with for a while (not even changing the plugs). I laughed but for this price I wasn't going to say a thing. He'd lost the keys. Ugh! But no biggie. I know a guy

Well there was also some info he gave me. He said that he was driving it (racing actually) when he ran out of oil and it started running badly. That's when he parked it and decided that he was going to rid himself of the car. Well I figured that if that was true i'd be in for an engine replacement or rebuild. first thing I did was pull the plug to see if there were any shavings etc in the oil. I almost cried when I saw practically brand new oil coming from the pan and no shavings. Then I saw the 5 Minute oil change sticker and it said that the oil had been changed 59 miles before the mileage I saw on the car. Of course I called him and asked him if he'd put new oil in after he thought it was out and his answer was no. So... it wasn't the oil. Checked plugs and wires... They haven't been changed in a long time if at all! There was a huge build up of carbon and some plugs were burned out. Also the big indicator that there were some cooling issues is the big water spot at the back of the engine and on the hood so I have to get to the bottom of that. I believe that’s only part of the issue but maybe the reason it was running like crap according to him.

The process began months ago when a buddy of mine was supposed to help me get to the bottom of the engine issue since I was working 6 days a week and would be exhausted by the time I got home. So we took it to a shop he was working at. Well he made things worse at his shop so it’s basically on me to find parts that are missing and replace them while building it and of course he and I are no longer friends. Ironically I was offered a choice of two engines at the beginning of this project. A 95 5.0 HO and a 2005 4.6l 3 valve to choose from and they both about the same price 550 or 600 respectively. The 4.6l 3 valve is under 52,000 miles while the 5.0 HO is about 118,000 miles. I wasn't considering this until the offers came to me. I want to see as both are manuals and I have an automatic. I can drive either but my girlfriend cannot and she may need to so automatic is an option I'm considering there. I missed out on the 3v.

Well that “buddy” seems to have partially used mine as a parts car and I am missing the tubes to cross from the engine to the manifold to the intake, a radiator bracket, He broke the coolant reservoir sensor, the headlight header panel and damaged the front bumper cover (which I was planning on replacing with a sn95 cobra or Cobra R “modified” front anyway) but in hindsight I wish i’d tried to repair that bumper cover….

I have no clue what the heck they have cut here to install a fricking radio!!!

IMG_1517_zpsnu4fhdbu.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1518_zps8udc7y2m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]I've trolled junkyards down here and unfortunately... No v8's to pull from as far as that reservoir. Guess i'll be ordering that.
So now the PATS system?
I’ve gotten a key cut (which doesn't match the doors or trunk now) and it works.

I've gotten new seats from a 95 GT (the interior was immaculate) but they wouldn't part with much in there and apparently I got very lucky that day Here they are next to the old seats along with two rims that I got for dirt cheap since I ended up missing two rims . Installed a new fuel pump. New starter is installed. The locksmith came out and cut me a new key. I have a lot of dress up and cleaning to do but I have a dilemma. There's one heck of an oil leak from the pan and the valve covers that I have to figure out but I have gotten parts and I'm going to do a PI swap on it anyways. They cut the fuel lines under the hood and tried to “repair them with hardware store bought hoses but even with that issue and some light fuel leakage it started then immediately died. Pretty sure that’s because the pressure isn't holding up. I replaced one but not the other yet and maybe should have bought both at the same time.

I’ve got some parts in and what really ticked me off is some “person” kicked the living crap out of my passenger side front fender that was almost perfect! They’re messing with the list i’m trying to meticulously prepare. I need both vacuum lines, the coolant line, apparently I've got to get someone to either pull out or I'll have to replace the radiator shroud (should I or would it be better just to replace), now a friggin fender and still need a front bumper and checking on the rear to make sure it doesn't need replacing. Coolant reservoir needs replacing. Looking for headers, probably redo the exhaust all together, that interior wiring is gonna be a pain, some bolts and nuts are missing and that count seems to be going up every day, hoses, TPS and connector and probably more. Checking this tranny too. There’s a lot on my “I want” List but most of it is sound or look related so i’ll wait until it’s totally running first.

I found a 2002 Mustang GT at the scrap yard yesterday that has accel coil packs and some other parts I need. He wants me to come back later today with a list and COH! I was so excited (these guys never have 8 cylinder mustangs) and forgot to take pictures or look at some of the other parts I may need plus it was raining like crazy and I was already sick. Anyways here's a few more pictures and parts that have come in.

PI intake
s-l1600_zpskrptou0a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

PI Heads (Cams etc included but not shown)
49974583582__2ED0458B-1AC1-4909-8D7F-E41D08CF6BFD_zpsrwsvsu6m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
49977329315__AC9E4EFC-1A5C-4832-900F-DF4AC9F1CB73_zpsa0pjc0zu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Engine bay as of a week ago (Horrible but it can be done)
49911162518__05895479-08FA-40D3-98D0-B9678EEC23EB_zpsao7cjcsl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Passenger side
IMG_1521_zpsdubs3x4c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
IMG_1520_zpstrujn40e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Front (before fender incident)
IMG_1515_zpsv5kmvsdl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There’s a long way to go on this puppy but I’m all the way in so I’ll be posting more as it happens.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Update: I went to the salvage yard and didn't get much aside from the Alternator Bracket and a TPS connector since mine was broken.
I'm trying to figure out what else I need or may want.
I am going for the center console, the radio dash panel and will buy
but my biggest worry is that crossover tube (they didn't have so I'll find it), the heater tube, the coolant reservoir, and maybe a few bolts... Heck might get the intake and heads if not the entire engine as a side project.
I did remember to take some pictures this time though but still forgot the interior
IMG_0574_zpssewigkvc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0573%202_zpsrxacjlqf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Well I'll be moving this coming Sunday so won't be doing much work to it but I'm still grabbing things as they go. The scrap yard that I was talking about does have a T-45 and I am actually considering it. They also have that interior from the 02 GT and I need a center console and the bezel. I've already talked to them and will be picking that up next Monday if we're done moving. My girl says she won't drive it but I know she loves Mustangs so that could change eventually. But I'd love to have another Manual. She'll be fine with driving the Optima we have here. I'm thinking about removing the paint that someone put on these Bullett rims and actually selling them. I only have two so might just do that problem is... same thing with all the other rims I have. Two Cobra replicas, two GT rims. As far as everything else... Still waiting on the gaskets and bolts for the head swap because with this move I wanted to wait. Fortunately, the new place (though I wish it had a garage) has an almost out the elements place to work on itive got to fix the radiator housing as it is pretty bent and I can't believe I didn't notice. Still don't have a name but my idea for paint and probably interior is black and red. Once I move though PI Swap is going to continue and I guess I'll figure out if I want to go manual or keep it auto. Looking for a front bumper cover and though I want the cobra bumper it seems the best place to find one down here is Certifit. I still need to see the size of the fog lights because I do have plans for them if I get it. Not bad though. My cousin found one in Texas for cheap but then comes the problem of getting it here and he's not coming for the holidays like he usually does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Cant wait to see more action on it!!

Me too honestly. Gathering stuff I need is this biggest thing I'm doing right now. Making decisions on what direction to head. I'm really leaning towards the manual transmission though. And so many other things to do that this feels like a total rebuild. I do know I have this in mind. When I'm done it has to be faster than this Optima I have. It's not even a new one and still it's pretty quick. PI swap will bring more HP but of course I still want more. At this time I do not have a number I want in particular. To say 350 or 400 is all I want wouldn't be true. I know I'll want more. I do want more and I'm not even a quarter through the build yet.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Update: Still gathering parts. Almost had a front bumper but must be something telling me to get what I want because some idiot ripped it and a fender to get a door. Started removing parts for the head swap and I guess I'm still on the hunt for headers I want but only time will tell. Still a long list to go but I'm separating the wants from the needs category unless it's a deal I can't pass up.
f46f8ce1ecc004f9b75e5a4a58ac8218.jpg

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Disassembly has begun! My third favorite thing to do ( I love to take things apart) but I'm sure most can agree not as much as putting them together.

66f8bd1c9a7c3a6568ce351d390a94d7.jpg
f1d2e2260f03c65542eb34446c2f6aba.jpg

I didn't get as much time as I wanted today but I wanted to make some headway while on lunch. Took the intake off but I'm going to get to this radiator and other things on tomorrow and really need to go for the H Pipe which I wanted to tackle today but 30 minutes is not enough time to do what I need to do. I'm going to stay on a parts hunt until I get all I want and need. I've got everything to at least do the swap but these almost 21 year old connections are crumbling on me no matter how gentle I am with them so I guess I'll be adding those to the list.

More progress and updates soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Good job so far. Keep up the progress and take lots of pictures.

I will. I still have to get out where you are or get you my way to check out yours. And It looks like I'll have no choice but to either replace or repair the radiator support but I may be in for a challenge with that too.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Well again not as much as I wanted to do for lunch break but something is better than nothing. Tried to remove the H- Pipe but those bolts are pretty stuck. But I did get to Remove the alternator and some other components and started on the water pump. Still not enough for me to feel like I've made good progress
cb14631890cf6fe966d4f35cfa813f82.jpg

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
I couldn't let it best me. I got done with work and I had to take that water pump off.
02392e201ab60803809b52229720b6a3.jpg

While I was at it and in a groove went for the valve covers too.
d5798e4b7d3ae34ab4a9babcb1802eea.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing more tomorrow so more to come

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That water pump can be a real *****. Ive beat them with a 4ft sledge hammer before (not recommended). Glad you got it off though. Youre almost ready to get the heads off.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
That water pump can be a real *****. Ive beat them with a 4ft sledge hammer before (not recommended). Glad you got it off though. Youre almost ready to get the heads off.

And that's what I'm afraid of. Lol. Nah. I'm ready for the challenge. Just have some decisions to make before going back up.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Went to my local Pull A Part and picked up some goodies. Got a Cobra front bumper cover on the way. Now I've got that Harmonic Balancer off and now the timing cover has followed.
706dc96b9f5f7f3cf17efe5050f957f4.jpg
5ea47ea66aea6f51ae0991296a85a376.jpg
4cf50528bc4416837adf4accce6aacc9.jpg
00a064915c4db2c890d38245d0c9c265.jpg

Found a stang new to their yard and in pretty good shape and so I got some things I needed.
Well still a ways to go but progress is one step closer to the goal.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
It's a bit too iffy and cool to continue my work but.... NEW PARTS!!!
ff4cdec86cb5889433fbd097d97875d5.jpg
250d51df5fe17481071c204c3261d7d7.jpg
21df05fc98d200b49ee752b1b0c4566a.jpg

Now to figure out how to mount these fog lights with GT Mounts

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
As it sits right now. I plan on wrenching later
a5ed73a60ca7d83b65f3c657f333aa4a.jpg

Here's the damages I have to knock out.
c4626cb3d617fdf51ca317b4ca17343b.jpg

34c4ed68e59763517afba7e4a18e18ad.jpg
49be9c9a2568cad2ba5ea31ed43de783.jpg

But seriously I need to get rid of these tail lights. Any takers?
4068996b5456e3e36c3fbd8a454f1316.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online