The meaning of SN95

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I always wondered why the 94-98 mustangs were called sn95's, so for Christmas, my wife bought me the book MUSTANG: Forty years by Randy Leffingwell. Cost was $50, or $80 can for you northern folk, but she works at a book store and therefore gets a good discount. Any way SN95 stands for, according to this book, "S" for specialty, and "N" for North American Automotive Operations-those responsible for the primary design of our beloved ponies. It was given this title to track it's prototype and pre-production status. Pretty cool...This book focuses more on the pre 94 cars though and does a pretty through job at that, so if any of you are bored one day, I'd say that its a pretty interesting read. It even has a segment on some Saleen cop cars over in Seal Beach CA.

98GTSTANG

Reaction score
94gtstang50 said:
I always wondered why the 94-98 mustangs were called sn95's, so for Christmas, my wife bought me the book MUSTANG: Forty years by Randy Leffingwell. Cost was $50, or $80 can for you northern folk, but she works at a book store and therefore gets a good discount. Any way SN95 stands for, according to this book, "S" for specialty, and "N" for North American Automotive Operations-those responsible for the primary design of our beloved ponies. It was given this title to track it's prototype and pre-production status. Pretty cool...This book focuses more on the pre 94 cars though and does a pretty through job at that, so if any of you are bored one day, I'd say that its a pretty interesting read. It even has a segment on some Saleen cop cars over in Seal Beach CA.

So, if we are SN95's what are the 99-04 models designated as?

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
They don't have a designation for some reason, I guess they probably appeared to the director of the mustang project in a dream or something, all fully designed and ready to go :dunno:.

98GTSTANG

Reaction score
94gtstang50 said:
They don't have a designation for some reason, I guess they probably appeared to the director of the mustang project in a dream or something, all fully designed and ready to go :dunno:.

Except for the whole plastic intake fiasco we all have to live with now. :banana:

Downshift

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something. I understand the SN part but why 95? 94 was the first year with the new body style so....maybe im just :lame: haha.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
It didn't say why they chose 95. Anyone know why they did?

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
its not for the year...i have a fat ass book that I'm not going through to find out for sure but from what i remember the 1994 stang was the 95th style at that time. now i don't remember how far back they went to get 95 but that's what i remember reading

Peter

Reaction score
but we all know the 03/04 cobra got the best nickname in development....

NITROUSINJECTED

Reaction score
terminators are the fastest mustang in production on the market as of now except for the 07 cobra can wait to see one of those in person

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
It didn't say why they chose 95. Anyone know why they did?
The end of the 5.0 gt 302
When I worked the dealer back then
It was referred as
Sn94
Sn95
Sn96
Sn97
Sn98
The edges were
Edge 99
Edge 00
So on