the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You should of hit me up. I have a catless x sitting in the garage that won’t be needed anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Double of nothing and the shippings free!!

Pretty sure Dire Straights wrote a song about that.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its bassani day here today.
lRrAWnc.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got the pipe on. It is a little louder but overall not a huge change other then there is not the rattle from the passenger side cat. Nothing exciting to report on the fitment as it was as I hoped or expected(thankfully).
SyLpcq4.jpg

gjgjNgh.jpg

Pc0xqQp.jpg

While it was up in the air I also used the time to adjust/fix one of the rear ride height sensors and a couple of little things. One problem I am fighting now is that it does not like to start after its sat overnight. I can crank and crank and crank and finally at the end of one it will give a few puffs, and then after that it will fire right over. At that point I can shut the car off, and then if I go to restart it, it again turns over in the first 2 seconds. At first I thought it was the air/fuel mix in cranking but I have tried adjusting it and never got any change. I hooked up my timing light to see while it was cranking and it seems like it takes a few seconds before it starts flashing. I think that is just while the holley is syncing to the TFI ignition but after that it fires regularly and doesn't seem to matter. I am going to get a light to see if the injectors are firing right off the hit or if they are waiting as I have fuel pressure. The only straw I can grasp at now is that the coil harness is original and maybe its going out like the TPS harness did for me and making an bad connection so I have on of those on order to replace and I will get the injector test light while I am there. Any other ideas? I really don't think its necessarily the holley hp as the data all looks the same between them...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's way too much for me to scroll through, so I'm asking. You replaced the fuel pump when you made the diffuser right? Almost sounds like a fuel related issue but I would rule that out if your pump is newish and fuel filter and all has been changed.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes I have a filter before and after the pump. I checked them not long ago when I was having problems and replaced the gas tank. They are easy to get to and it is in the air right now so I will take a look just to be sure but looking at the data there doesn't seem to be any problem with fuel flow.

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scott have you verified that the stator is sending signal from the dizzy?? It controls fuel and injectors as well. When they start going bad they do stupid stuff like this.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I replaced the harness going to the coil just because I think its the last original harness that was on the car and maybe it was causing the no start. Didn't help any though.... After a lot of thought I also decided to make a mount for the X-pipe to lock into the factory center position. There were two tabs on the pipes that were in the perfect spot to put it and not having one was my only complaint about the pipe.
SyLpcq4.jpg

I got some 1/8" angle iron and made 4 cuts, drilled 4 holes and rounded off the edges and put a coat of paint to finish it so the stock mount could attach to it.
zhooppV.jpg

I am happy to say it bolted right up and I needed to use the jack to push the pipe up just a tad to get the mounts on but I like it nice and tight...
rl49ckw.jpg

The only thing keeping it off the road now I am afraid to say is my vanity, and sore back. I have been taking the time its up on stands to finish cutting the paint on the bottom 1/2 of the car and its killing me. Even with it up in the air I have 2 compressed discs in my back that can get inflamed really easy from work like that(bent over rubbing). Its sooooo close......

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced the harness going to the coil just because I think its the last original harness that was on the car and maybe it was causing the no start. Didn't help any though.... After a lot of thought I also decided to make a mount for the X-pipe to lock into the factory center position. There were two tabs on the pipes that were in the perfect spot to put it and not having one was my only complaint about the pipe.
SyLpcq4.jpg

I got some 1/8" angle iron and made 4 cuts, drilled 4 holes and rounded off the edges and put a coat of paint to finish it so the stock mount could attach to it.
zhooppV.jpg

I am happy to say it bolted right up and I needed to use the jack to push the pipe up just a tad to get the mounts on but I like it nice and tight...
rl49ckw.jpg

The only thing keeping it off the road now I am afraid to say is my vanity, and sore back. I have been taking the time its up on stands to finish cutting the paint on the bottom 1/2 of the car and its killing me. Even with it up in the air I have 2 compressed discs in my back that can get inflamed really easy from work like that(bent over rubbing). Its sooooo close......

Stop lying. Your boyfriend is why you were bent over.

Now get that thing on the road!!!! [emoji23]

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well good news bad news I guess. I think I THINK I think I found the problem(knock on wood) with the slow cold start that has been a problem. My starting battery is no longer strong enough to crank it over. I had a switch set up to allow me to use both batteries to start it if I needed to but for some reason it has quit working. I made a jumper to allow me to do it and it fired right up. I guess I need to consider a bigger starting battery. I have also been thinking that I can save probably 5-6 foot of wire at least if I ran a more direct power wire from my starting battery directly to the starter and that will not hurt.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well its been a long month as my stomach has pretty much kept me curled up. It climaxed when a week ago after throwing up all day and loosing 20 lbs I was in the ER for the first time since feb. Thankfully it was a quick visit where they threw a few 1000cc's of fluids in me and then sent me home saying come back if I get worse. I was hoping I would have been recovered enough to make it to the nmra party last weekend but still a week later I was just exhausted. I guess loosing 15% of your body weight will do that to ya. It looked like a hell of a party at nmra with bigfoot and the drifters/scca party there, hopefully next year will be bigger.

Finally now this week I have managed to get a little done. I have the new starter power wire 90% completed. I took a little time to finish some loose ends where I have ran wires in/out and never found an aftermarket grommet that fit what I needed. I finally made my own with the cnc, some 1/8" aluminum and 1/8" rubber gasket material and happy with how it came out. I made 3 of these.
Uv02MMp.jpg

I also cut the steel for the battery mount I will weld up later. Naturally it was beautiful outside last week and 95 this week so I am keeping the work I do down a bit so I do not end up in the ER again.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Glad to hear it's getting closer but I'm sorry for all of your setbacks man. Keep fighting through, you're almost done completing an unbelievable build that we all are looking forward to seeing.

I'd love to chip in some cash (and I'm sure many others would too) to have @Tony come out and do a photo shoot of your car when it's finally met your acceptable standards!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Finally got the new battery mount welded into place, got all the wiring ran and hooked up. Now its cranking the motor faster, but it is not firing up any faster. I still need to crank it 3-5 times for 5-6 secs each time to get it to do anything. Once it fires I can turn it off, and then start it right up no problem. I have fuel pressure, verified spark with a timing light and tried all kinds of combinations for more/less air/fuel while cranking or just after but I am just not sure what is going on....

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Finally got the new battery mount welded into place, got all the wiring ran and hooked up. Now its cranking the motor faster, but it is not firing up any faster. I still need to crank it 3-5 times for 5-6 secs each time to get it to do anything. Once it fires I can turn it off, and then start it right up no problem. I have fuel pressure, verified spark with a timing light and tried all kinds of combinations for more/less air/fuel while cranking or just after but I am just not sure what is going on....

You need to put a check valve in your fuel feed line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online