the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
With a return system it’s always going to drain back to the tank. I think putting valves in will be a restriction on fuel flow. I think leave the prime time turned up is the answer.

There’s a reason most new vehicles start priming when the key is initially put in the ignition before it’s even turned. Hop in a newer vehicle and put the key in but don’t turn it. Listen and you can hear the pump prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sure every vehicle primes prior to starting but should it really take that long? Just the thicker hose taking longer to fill even with a bigger pump?

01yellercobra

Reaction score
FWIW, my return system primes pretty fast, but will start bleeding pressure as soon as the pumps stop. I can't adjust the prime timer in my tune, but the normal 3 seconds or so is fine. I turn the key, let them prime, then start the car. But then I have twin 450 pumps feeding the -8 lines.

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if either your return line is too large or if the pressure regulator is allowing too much to flow through. I’ll be calling Glens performance next week to order my complete system. I’ll ask them what could cause that and see what they say.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
STANG
25zgNnw.jpg

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I wonder if either your return line is too large or if the pressure regulator is allowing too much to flow through. I’ll be calling Glens performance next week to order my complete system. I’ll ask them what could cause that and see what they say.

I have -8 for feed and return. I'm running a deadhead system as well. As soon as the pumps come on I see 40psi.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Air makes the most sense but where is air getting in to cause so much of an issue?!?

Well, if the fuel drains out of the feed line and then he turns the pump on, there will be an air pocket inside the line that the new fuel will be pressing up against whenever it tries to reprime. I’m not quite sure why the check valve didn’t solve the issue though.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if the fuel drains out of the feed line and then he turns the pump on, there will be an air pocket inside the line that the new fuel will be pressing up against whenever it tries to reprime. I’m not quite sure why the check valve didn’t solve the issue though.

I get that. But it’s almost like the air gets trapped in there and won’t easily budge. Could it be a pump issue?? He did have all that garbage that got sucked up when he first built it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am thinking that once I can get enough gas in the tank to cover the opening for the return that this will not be an issue. I have only been putting 2 gallons in at a time so far.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking that once I can get enough gas in the tank to cover the opening for the return that this will not be an issue. I have only been putting 2 gallons in at a time so far.

Sounds like it’s time to fill’er up and get’er done!!!!

95opal

Reaction score
I highly doubt air is trapped in the lines at this point. Its already been running and driven. No mention of return or feed line size so hard to make a solid assumption. But if your not seeing pressure drop when the key is rotated to the start position your problem is elswhere.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It didn't use to do it and seems like it only started doing it in the last 3-4 months. Me and my tuner have been making changes here/there during this time but even my remote tuner was not sure what to make of it.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Since you have the check valve I would think the problem lies after it. Maybe a leaky injector. Or even the regulator bleeding down.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Since you have the check valve I would think the problem lies after it. Maybe a leaky injector. Or even the regulator bleeding down.
the injectors are new so hopefully that problem is minimized but I am old enough to see new stuff fail. How can I test for either? A leaky injector would leave a wet plug right? How about the regulator bleeding down?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have toyed with the idea of parting it out before but never gone as far as to make a list of prices of parts. Never been closer as I am really starting to hate this f'n piece of shit.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hold on now, are you really this upset because of the starting issue? Who is doing the tuning? Have you considered having someone else look at it and see if they can help?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.