The new motor running... Finally!

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
No I didn't build it. I don't trust myself enough, so I leave that to someone much more experienced than I. The guy in the video is Kevin Sittner of Precision Machines in Lodi, CA. He has built several engines based on that same Ford Racing Z351 aluminum block. I had Kevin port match the new Trick Flow carb style EFI intake I'll eventually put on it along with a 4-bbl throttle body and Holley HP ECU. I've been running that 4150 HP Race carb and Victor Jr intake for years and it works great at WOT, but low speed driveability is not great.
In the next week or so I'll take the car to Kevin's shop to have him bolt in the engine and transmission. I'll complete the rest of the installation myself because I have a new Ron Davis custom radiator, all new hoses, revamped wiring, etc. that I want to do my way. I don't want to pay someone else to do that.
The NorCal Shelby club is having a weekend event at Laguna at the end of June that I DO NOT want to miss because it's a 105dB max sound event and I haven't driven Laguna in way too long. Most days there are 92dB max which this car won't pass.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
When I first got this car running with the first iteration of this engine I took my son (~12 years old) out in it outside of Modesto into the countryside and really put my foot in it running through the gears. We came up to a stop sign, my son turned to me and said " You know dad, I think every car should sound like this ". I thought to myself (jokingly) maybe he really is my son. ..

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
The new motor is in the car...
While the car was up in the air putting the transmission in I took the opportunity to snap some pictures of some of the underside goodies plus the front brakes.

Attachments

• 20240409_135825.jpg
    20240409_135825.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240409_140138.jpg
    20240409_140138.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240409_140257.jpg
    20240409_140257.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240409_140408.jpg
    20240409_140408.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240409_140548.jpg
    20240409_140548.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240409_140744.jpg
    20240409_140744.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I ended up taking one of the cylinder heads off (why is a long story) and took a couple of pictures while it was off. You can see the custom Wiseco pistons. That right cylinder head should go back on today or tomorrow.
20240615_225217.jpg20240615_225410.jpg
One of the things I noticed during the head removal was that the rocker arms I was using don't have great geometry with these canted valve heads, so I ordered a set of offset Harland Sharp rocker arms designed specifically for these heads.
CobraRGuy

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Oh man, that’s a total bummer about the head having to come off. Especially since this is a new build.

Do you mind sharing why the head had to come off?

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I had a change of mind about how I was going to address my expensive custom long tube equal length stepped headers not bolting up to these Trick Flow heads. They do make heads with the standard exhaust surface angle but that would mean buying another set of heads, losing some performance and ending up with two sets of used heads to sell instead of one set.
I'll eventually take off the left head as well and seal it up better because that's one thing my engine builder didn't do to my liking.
Dart's aluminum 351W race block instructions say to seal the stud threads into the block with a specific Permatex #620 sealant and putting silicone sealant around the studs and around every water passage on both sides of the gasket or coolant leaks will happen.
What I did last time I had these heads off was to seal the stud threads as they suggest, but use Permatex Hylomar HPF (now called "Permashield") liberally, allowing it to absorb into the gasket, then re-applying another layer before installing it. I found that the original set of gaskets when the engine was first assembled were leaking between the layers of the gaskets so I also seal the inside of every hole. I had removed the heads when I realized the gaskets were leaking and sealed them this way when the heads went back on. When the gaskets were removed by my engine builder during the teardown they looked like they could just be reused and there was zero leakage anywhere
If I were to use silicone I'd never be able to remove the heads again because silicone is a strong glue and there's nowhere to pry on these heads on this block. The Permashield allows the gaskets to seal perfectly and the heads pull right off.
I'll be taking the car back to SPD who originally made the entire exhaust system and having them modify the headers to bolt up to these heads.
It's the right fix.
I know, long answer, sorry.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I also didn't like the valve train geometry using the Comp Cams stainless rockers I've been using so I ordered a set of Harland Sharp offset rockers specifically designed for these canted valve heads and have unique intake and exhaust rockers.
The geometry should be much better with these and they weren't that expensive, but nobody stocks them and they'll take 3 weeks to make.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodeblue

Members online