the slow white guy build.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
That's awesome. I know what you mean about being older, I am 56. Today I dropped the motor and trans out of my GT, bolted the K member back in and started putting the suspension back together.

I am tired.

Lol. I was tired last night. today I woke up sore all over. I am not used to that kind of manual work lol. but I did get to take the stang out for a shakedown cruise tonight. it felt pretty good. I will have to drive it for a bit then get it aligned. I want to replace the tie rod ends right before I get it aligned. no point in aligning it twice lol. I don't think I will need the castor camber plates with no more than I dropped it, but I guess I will see.

tazmndthomas

Reaction score
Don't know how much you dropped it but I dropped mine about 1.5 inches and didn't need them

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
Don't know how much you dropped it but I dropped mine about 1.5 inches and didn't need them

it said they should drop it about an inch and a half, and it feels good when I drove it today. so I will wait and see when I do the alignment.

tazmndthomas

Reaction score
I drove mine all this year and had no problems

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
today Dad I brought Dad over for homemade enchilada's something he has been craving for a while. while I had him here we swapped the door hinges on the drivers door. the bushings were pretty bad. then after supper I took him and my oldest daughter back to there homes. between the 3 of us we had a LOT of weight in that car lol. no rubbing or problems at all. I am very pleased. I will probably get it aligned soon, but I want to drive it a bit to let the springs settle. anyway. this car is coming along nicely. maybe this winter I will tear into that teal car.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
yeah we love enchiladas the way we make them. My dad doesn't like vegetables much so he won't eat most mexican food. my aunts used to make their enchiladas pretty simply just ground beef with no real seasoning. all the toppings were separate, homemade tortillas, and their homemade enchilada sauce. very easy to make but very delicious.

today was so nice my oldest daughter wanted to take a drive in the mustang and it was so nice we put the top down. crazy weather. November 6th and driving with the top down. oh well I am not complaining it is going to get cold soon enough.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
next up for how to spend money and time on the mustang.

I chose the powerstop z26 option with powder coated calipers for many reasons. I researched several options. first the ever popular cobra brake option. going with that option from late model restoration would be around 1400.00 for front and rear. Or if I could find them on ebay I could possibly have gotten used brakes for a bit cheaper. The Baer and wilwood options were very similar in cost. I also considered just getting new pads and rotors and buying those caliper covers. I decided that option was just too rice for me. I considered painting the calipers and that was actually the way I planned to go until I found this kit on auto anything. It has new powdercoated calipers and nice zinc coated rotors and pads. I have the same pads and rotors on my 89 convertible and they have worked well there so I am sure these will be more than adequate for my purposes. This car is primarily a driver so buying the big brake kits would be solely an ego thing. totally for appearance and I decided that thousand extra dollars it would cost me was not worth it to me. so here it is.

now I need to bleed the brakes and bed the pads.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Oh man why? I think you made a mistake on the brakes. $1400 for Cobra brakes WTF. The only difference between GT and Cobra brakes are the front calipers and rear brackets. Once you find a set of front Cobra calipers for $200 (going rate) you spend another $80 for cobra spec rotors. The rear calipers are the same. What changes is the bracket that holds the calipers. The cobra brackets relocates the caliper a little further out to make up for the slightly larger rotors. The rear cobra spec rotors go from being a solid disk to vented which causes them to be thinker. Since the caliper is the same, what changes is the thickness of the pads now. You get thinner pads for use with cobra spec rear rotors to allow for the now thicker rotors.

The problem is the rear brakes really make little difference going from GT to Cobra specs. Add the cost of having to take the rear apart too to do the cobra rears. Anyways the point is for under $400 you could've had a really nice brake upgrade and not some repainted stock calipers. :sad5:

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
Oh man why? I think you made a mistake on the brakes. $1400 for Cobra brakes WTF. The only difference between GT and Cobra brakes are the front calipers and rear brackets. Once you find a set of front Cobra calipers for $200 (going rate) you spend another $80 for cobra spec rotors. The rear calipers are the same. What changes is the bracket that holds the calipers. The cobra brackets relocates the caliper a little further out to make up for the slightly larger rotors. The rear cobra spec rotors go from being a solid disk to vented which causes them to be thinker. Since the caliper is the same, what changes is the thickness of the pads now. You get thinner pads for use with cobra spec rear rotors to allow for the now thicker rotors.

The problem is the rear brakes really make little difference going from GT to Cobra specs. Add the cost of having to take the rear apart too to do the cobra rears. Anyways the point is for under $400 you could've had a really nice brake upgrade and not some repainted stock calipers. :sad5:

You may have been able to find them at that price. but I couldn't late model resto puts the front and rear kits at 750.00 each. I looked on ebay for them and could not find any at all. I am I apparently didn't know where to look to find it, so I went this option. it does give me a bit more than repainted calipers although I admit I had been envying the cobra brakes. but regardless I have these now and they will do for the time being. again. if I ever decide to do more than use this as a nice summer driver I may have to rethink this decision. anyway it is what it is.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
You may have been able to find them at that price. but I couldn't late model resto puts the front and rear kits at 750.00 each. I looked on ebay for them and could not find any at all.

From EBAY:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...obra+ca.TRS0&_nkw=cobra+calipers&_sacat=33559

From The CORRAL:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/search.php?searchid=22567010

Also I do believe you can still buy reman cobra calipers at the autocrats store for $100 each. I bought one once when I didn't want to rethread the bleed screw. Only thing is they come with the cobra logo ground off. Something about autoparts stores not legally allowed to sell them with the logo on.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
From EBAY:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...obra+ca.TRS0&_nkw=cobra+calipers&_sacat=33559

From The CORRAL:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/search.php?searchid=22567010

Also I do believe you can still buy reman cobra calipers at the autocrats store for $100 each. I bought one once when I didn't want to rethread the bleed screw. Only thing is they come with the cobra logo ground off. Something about autoparts stores not legally allowed to sell them with the logo on.

Well thanks, and I appreciate your input. there are now 2 sets of used cobra calipers on there for 300.00 each. I will keep an eye out and if I find some for a reasonable price down the road I may pick them up for a future upgrade. for now the main purpose was to replace the very thin rear brake rotors and pads and improve the appearance. While the kit I bought may not give me as much of an improvement in brake function as the cobra's It did accomplish those two goals. now I will do like I do with everything. I will drive the heck out of it and if I find that the performance is not what I am looking for I will upgrade again. I mean at this point it is not like I can unbuy them lol. So Live and learn. anyway the car looks great now. and everything is working properly. So now I will drive it for a while and see what the next project will be. and again I appreciate the feedback.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
The silver FR500 wheels go really well with a white car.

I agree. I initially was going to go with the cobra wheels. I have them on my 89 and have always liked them, but I saw a set of these on a 95 mustang and really liked the look. It is amazing how much difference the right set of wheels and tires make. I have had a lot of positive comments on this car since I put them on, and I really didn't like the look of the old wheels.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
well, it snowed a bit on friday so I decided it was time to start working on the winter toy a bit. so I swapped the convertible to the house garage and brought this back to the shop to tinker and drive a bit. my daughter is on a trimester schedule at college so she is off for over three months from christmas to late march then starts up again. she is going to leave her jeep over in Idaho, so i told her she can drive my jeep this winter. I need to swap the heater core and I am going to put heated seats in it, I love this thing, but it is pretty primitive. kind of like driving a 65 mustang lol. no cruise, no ac, but still cool.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
SNOW!!?

Keep that crap outta here! Mustangs #1 enemy, besides poor dry traction....lol

For real though, your car looks great and I love how detailed this thread is. Keep it up!

Enjoy your dad all you can while he still sane. I say this cause my dad went left field after his first stroke. Although very normal acting, just not the same like he was. I say enjoy all you can, my dad lived another 10yrs afterwards, but I cant say he was enjoyable to be around and to think a sudden stroke is what did it. Its great seeing you promote a solid relationship with your pops. Keep up on a good thread!

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
SNOW!!?

For real though, your car looks great and I love how detailed this thread is. Keep it up!

Enjoy your dad all you can while he still sane. I say this cause my dad went left field after his first stroke. Although very normal acting, just not the same like he was. I say enjoy all you can, my dad lived another 10yrs afterwards, but I cant say he was enjoyable to be around and to think a sudden stroke is what did it. Its great seeing you promote a solid relationship with your pops. Keep up on a good thread!

SNOW!!?

thanks, I appreciate it. I am having fun with the car. Dad loves riding in it. I have a few more plans for it, but I think I will just drive it as is for a while. I am planning on doing some more work on my 89 fox convertible. I am going to supercharge it this summer. Dad loves superchargers so He will have to come over and supervise me putting that on. I have not decided which one I want to get yet. I really wanted a kenne bell but they don't make that any more. so I will probably go with a paxton. anyway this spring will be fun.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Reaction score
ok. I have been driving the car quite a bit since my last update, and I have found since I lowered the car my k member up front drags on even a slight crown in the road. does anybody make a kmember that does not hang down so low?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
ok. I have been driving the car quite a bit since my last update, and I have found since I lowered the car my k member up front drags on even a slight crown in the road. does anybody make a kmember that does not hang down so low?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but convertibles have an extra x brace up front to reduce the body flex (put there to compensate for the lack of roof structure that the coupe has) that hangs down lower than the k member. I would guess this is what is scraping and not the actual k member. @Tally4.6 might be able to give you a solution, I remember in his build thread he removed a mangled brace at one point but I don't know what he replaced it with.

My coupe is lowered almost as much as your car but I don't have any scraping issues, hopefully a convertible guy can chime in and send you in the right direction!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online