I run the following on my 94.

Front:

* MM K-member

* MM A-arms (non-offset)

* MM aluminum rack bushings

* MM Bump steer kit

* MM Caster/Camber plates

* Tokico D-spec struts

* MM coilover kit: 300lbs/in x 10" x 2.50".

* Eibach 3518.320 sway bar kit 35mm

Rear:

* MM XD adjustable lower control arms with spring perch

* Tokico D-specs shocks

* Steeda adjustable upper control arms

* Eibach rear sway bar 25mm

* MM spring: Road & track spring #21 (240-260lbs)

Chassis stiffening by Stifflers:

* Maximum Motorsports (MM): Full length XL subframes

* FIT system: Subframe Connectors, Stiffening rails and Web brace

* Spider brace

* Transmission crossmember

Brakes:

* Front: 14" Alcon/Roush calipers

* Rear: 13" Alcon/Roush calipers

I've had my new suspension on since April 2014, and I drive the car almost daily, and this is my impression. The car/fenders don't roll over when going east to west (switching lanes), and the body stays flat. The steering seems more precise to me, just steer in any direction and the car goes there. Overall the car feels better, braking is more stable, driving at higher speeds gives you more confidence because the car is very stable, no vibrations or bouncing around. There is a slight increase in NVH, and I don't notice the reduction in weight on the front-end, not sure if I'm suppose to or not but I can't tell. Driving around town it's not a huge difference but any type of aggressive driving the difference is night and day vs. what I had before:

Front Suspension
* Stk. K-member with stk. A-arms
* Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable struts
* H&R Super Sport lowering spring
* Eibach front sway bar w/poly bushings
* Energy Suspension End links
* Hotchkis Caster Camber plates
* Stock rubber isolators
* Stock engine mounts
* Stock rubber bushings for steering rack

Chassis rigidity
Maximum Motorsports (MM): Full length XL subframes
Stifflers transmission cross member
Stifflers web brace
Stifflers spider brace: Spider Brace 79-93 Mustang
Stifflers lower chassis brace: Lower Chassis Brace 79-04 Mustang (For Tubular K-Member)

Rear Suspension
Steeda Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms
Stock Upper control arm bushings
MM XD lower control arms with perch
Eibach: rear sway bar
Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks
Stock rubber isolators

Steering
Flaming River steering shaft
Stock Rack & Pinion

Tires
Front: Nitto NT05 245/40/18 (crap never again)
Rear : Nitto NT05 285/35/18 (crap never again)

Brakes:
Front: Alcon Roush 14"
Rear: Alcon 13"

Based on what I read, the installation of a PHB and TA will transform the way the car's handles, and it will be dramatic. Major issue, I'm not sure it will fit my 3" exhaust tubing and the car is to low.

2014-08-23122401.jpg

2014-08-23122556.jpg

Front suspension and long tube headers
2014-08-23122545.jpg

2014-08-231232084.jpg

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

chris91

Reaction score
Hey Michael, how did you like the Tokico Illuminas? I have a set for my 99 and haven't put them on yet. Been trying to ask around for reviews.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I had the Tokicos on the front of my car. Bought them from a friend who had one replaced under warranty for it blowing out. I raced them for less than a year before I had the original and the replacement blew out. I now run Koni single adjustable. Just my 2¢ experience.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I had the Tokicos on the front of my car. Bought them from a friend who had one replaced under warranty for it blowing out. I raced them for less than a year before I had the original and the replacement blew out. I now run Koni single adjustable. Just my 2¢ experience.

I almost bought the tokico's (non adjustable) but reviews such as yours scared me away. I like the KYB's on my 95 but I also had good luck with koni strt's on a fox.

Don't Sext and Drive.

chris91

Reaction score

You had the adjustable illuminas? Not too worried about blowing mine out as my car will never see the abuse that a tracked car does.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Hey Michael, how did you like the Tokico Illuminas? I have a set for my 99 and haven't put them on yet. Been trying to ask around for reviews.
Do a google on the tockio's. There were too many blown out for me to take a gamble. If I ever need new shocks/struts (I'll more than likely stick w non adjustable) I'll go back w the KYB's. They're just as good if not better than the koni's and a little cheaper.

Don't Sext and Drive.

chris91

Reaction score
I'd take tokico blues over anything made by kyb. Saying they are better than or even in the same league as Koni is funny as ****.

Again you show your ignorance.

No need to do a google search for reviews. I've owned three sets of Tokico Blues in the past and not ONE blew. This was on two Acura Integras and one 94 Mustang, all of which were dropped LOW. After my experience with those is why I decided to purchase the adjustables. I was just asking for someone who has ran them to give me their opinion. Not someone that's never ran a set to chime in with shit he's gathered from trolling forums. Wmfateam races his car and puts more stress on his suspension than any typical street car so while I listen to his review it doesnt apply here. Just stop, I don't need your input here.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Let me start off with the following: KYB and Tokico HD shocks and strut are generally stock replacement components and will not improve performance over their more expensive counterparts. Not going to get into coil-overs, or other suspension components, I'm going to keep this simple.

1) My Tokico 5-way adjustable were matched to my HR Super Sport lowering springs so I had no issues with them wearing out. The biggest reason why shocks and struts wear out prematurely is because of IMPROPER application and associated parts.....that's it.

2) You need to match your spring rates to your shocks and struts. If you're not sure how to go about doing that Maximum Motorsport should be consulted. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_struts_shocks_matching_spring_rates.aspx

3) For street enthusiast the best non-adjustable shocks and struts are Bilstein HD. They work very well with a lot of aftermarket lowering springs but use the chart link above to be sure.

4) Find a real suspension shop to setup and align your suspension. Your local NTB or Town Fair Tire isn't the best place to go. In my area I use FasTrack: http://www.fastrackservice.com/

5) If your car is bouncing around over bumps and small imperfections in the road then you need to read this article THREE times. One of the best articles online on Mustang suspension: http://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension/553765-the-official-suspension-guide.html

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

wmfateam

Reaction score
I had the adjustable Tokicos Illuminas, the white ones, matched to Eibach Pro springs. Before that they were on a street driven princess car that was on Steeda Sport Springs. I personally do not like twin tube shocks/struts. I am going to MM Bilsteins when I finally go to coil overs. I have re-valved Bilstein HD's in the back with a coil over set up. +1 on the MM spring/shock guide. +1 on getting your vehicle properly aligned as well. +1 on Koni Adjustable, save 2lbs and better grip for the whole shot.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Let me start off with the following: KYB and Tokico HD shocks and strut are generally stock replacement components and will not improve performance over their more expensive counterparts. Not going to get into coil-overs, or other suspension components, I'm going to keep this simple.

1) My Tokico 5-way adjustable were matched to my HR Super Sport lowering springs so I had no issues with them wearing out. The biggest reason why shocks and struts wear out prematurely is because of IMPROPER application and associated parts.....that's it.

2) You need to match your spring rates to your shocks and struts. If you're not sure how to go about doing that Maximum Motorsport should be consulted. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_struts_shocks_matching_spring_rates.aspx

3) For street enthusiast the best non-adjustable shocks and struts are Bilstein HD. They work very well with a lot of aftermarket lowering springs but use the chart link above to be sure.

4) Find a real suspension shop to setup and align your suspension. Your local NTB or Town Fair Tire isn't the best place to go. In my area I use FasTrack: http://www.fastrackservice.com/

5) If your car is bouncing around over bumps and small imperfections in the road then you need to read this article THREE times. One of the best articles online on Mustang suspension: http://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension/553765-the-official-suspension-guide.html

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

Wonder how bad it will be to match up the "bag/spring" rates to my shocks/struts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.