The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

THREEOTWO04

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Thanks for looking at this thread. Im going to try and keep this as direct as possible but I need you to know the whole story.

Ever work so hard for something that no matter what happens along the way you never want to give up on it?
Some people think Im pretty stupid for putting so much time and money into something that really has no value. Except, the thing about it is, it has value to me. Thats the reason I've come here. Cause all of you obviously put a lot of time and money into these cars, you can understand where Im coming from. Anyway, im not here to put tears in your eyes, im here for some help.

I purchased this car when I was 17 yadda yadda yadda. First car. Loved it. Burned up the tires. Had fun, but wanted more. It was a stock 94 auto=DOG. Keep in mind, I was 17 and by no means rich. Cold air came first. Lowering springs, Auto to T5 from Amp performance. Longtubes, x pipe, flows followed. Liked it even more. Did all of it in my driveway, no garage and mostly on my back. It was great. So one night me and my buddy were coming home from some party in the mustang. Had the stereo on full blast. I was on one of the many major roads around here in jersey, pretty long stretch, no one else around. Then headlights in my rearveiw, all over my ass. Some riced out altima. Next thing you know were flying around pretty quickly. Nothing too daring, but fast. My exit comes up, I turn off and take my buddy home. Now, some people might argue, but flows are loud at 1:00 in the morning. So I slowly drove away after dropping my friend off. The exit was literally two blocks from his house. Dont know if that tells you guys anything but figured I'd include it, you?ll see why.

Turn around the corner and the car falls on its face. I mean, no power, rpm's bout 800 and eventually stuttering to a stop. Five blocks from my house. Guess who had to push the damn thing. This guy. Took me an hour. Yeah, called my buddy. No answer. Whatever. Got it home and started what I thought at the time was some good diagnosis. The car would start eventually, run funny, then die. Cleared codes for the o2 sensor, but never replaced them(longtubes). Tested voltage at the battery. Good. Tested voltage at the Alt. Good. Fuel pressure. Good. Cleaned the usual. MAF, IAC, etc. Got it to the point where it would run good. After I drove it around, parked it, it wouldn?t start again. 3 new batteries, 2 alts, fuel pump, msd coil and dizzy. Set the timing, cleaned everything again. Checked the grounds they were good, but I replaced them. Still gave me issues. And that?s were I was at. Also the voltage never looked the same on the dash. It always hung around the R and M in Normal. It started to sit between the O and R.

I then decided my knowledge from stangnet and corral (don?t think this forum was around yet, but now its my favorite?.bonus points?) wasn?t enough. Took it to Ford around the corner and they laughed at me. I mean they literally chuckled when I told them what was done to the car. They didn?t help. Took it to another one a little while away. Same thing. I had enough. Couldn?t keep dumping the clutch after being pushed to start my car anymore. It was ridiculous. Plus my pride was hurt. All my hard work was embarrassing me. Had to get another ride. Threw the towel in after about two months of trying.

Car sat ever since then. Bout 4 yrs. One day me and my best friend are sitting at the bar, getting shitty and talking about some radom stuff, when he says something about his lease is coming up and he is going to go over his mileage. He says he wants to buy a beater he found. Some crappy old buick or something. Friends don?t let friends drive old buicks, so I told him ?What about the mustang? We can get it running again, then you can drive that?? Good idea. So about a month ago we start working on it. Re-testing. The whole nine. We came to the conclusion that the wire from the alt to the battery was fried and the fusible links were shot. Wow. So simple right?

I had a grin from ear to ear when I drove it again. A smirk that you get when you don?t want to show everyone how happy you are. You know what I mean. I was siked. James just got his mustang back. Put some new headlights in and a nice set of saleens. Good stuff??Not really. Now we have a whole new set of problems. This is were this long ass post needs some answering. First thing. The radiator was leaking. Fixed that. New thermostat, rad, water pump. But?..after letting it run for awhile, something really weird happened. The rpm?s fell, car sputtered, fan kicked on and the check engine light blinked three times. 3 times. That?s it. No other lights, just the check engine light. Almost like it was running a self diag with the car running. Voltage went back down to that middle of the O and R. A couple minutes later the car is running fine.

Today my buddy drove the car to work. On his way he said he heard a ?pop? sound and the car fell flat. Then it ran fine again. Little while down the road did the same thing. ?pop? ran like crap then fine again. Did it three times. Gets to work and tries to lock the car with the remote and the locks didn?t lock. Goes to work, end of the day tries to start it and it wont start. WTF? By fell flat I mean the car sputtered and he said the RPMS went to about 1000 with him crusing at about 45 50. And that where im at now.

Check every possible relay/solenoid/wire? ECU? Wire harness? Were can I get every resistance reading for all that to check? Do I give up? Bottom line is, for all of you that have read through this post, I need some help. And it looks like you guys are the only ones that can do that. I need ideas guys. If there is anything you can think of to point me in the right direction, let me know. I?ve searched for issues like this but cant find anything on why the check engine light would blink like that with the car running. Anyway thanks for reading this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
James

jthorn9

Reaction score
Well if you've checked every possible fuse and electrical line that leaves only one thing left that could have failed, the ECU. It's very rare but ECUs can short out or fail over time. Remove the passenger side kick pannel and pull out the ECU. There are 4 screws on the ECU. Undo those, and pop it open, look over the circuit board and see if you can see any damage. Still not a given but is worth looking at. I'd still run to autozone and order the proper ECU for your application, if you swap it out and it still does it, return the ECU you bought and we can go from there. Only other thing I can think of is a head gasket failure, but that wouldn't cause the random problems you're having, especially electrical related. It will cause odd ball problems in it's own right and won't always give the normal symptoms of radiator fluid in the oil or radiator fluid being burnt (as I learned with my 5.0) but will cause the car to become hard to start and fall flat on its face when warm.

beuchaw94gt

Reaction score
I know this may sound very simple but have you check the wire that goes into your high current fuse box from the battery? Some how the ring had broke on mine and i would be driving on the highway and the car would feel like it would lose all power but still run and everything very weird. Hope you get the car running man. Good luck!!!!

ivan12

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards ECU. That MSD Dizzy doesn't give me a give me a good feeling, any chance you can reuse a stock dizzy? Good luck, BTW that was the longest single post I've ever read, I'm surprised it didn't jump over to pg. 2 hahaha just bustin your chops

OP
OP
T

THREEOTWO04

Reaction score
mygreengt said:
i have no idea what is happening to your car. but that is a hell of a story. i cant believe i read it all

Ha thanks for reading it all. I now its long but its a story i needed to tell everyone cause im dumbfounded as to why this is happening.

I appreciate all the responses. Im picking the car up this afternoon. Hopefully I cant get her to run and get her back. Ecu sounds like a good option though. Im also going to go over the whole car and recheck all the major grounds. He told me this morning that when he was driving it the other day the clock started to blink! What the hell? I hate electrical problems.

beuchaw94gt said:
I know this may sound very simple but have you check the wire that goes into your high current fuse box from the battery? Some how the ring had broke on mine and i would be driving on the highway and the car would feel like it would lose all power but still run and everything very weird. Hope you get the car running man. Good luck!!!!

I did check that. It was the wire i replaced when the fsuible links went bad. Thanks!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
First thing is to pull codes for koeo and koer.
Run an ohm check on the grounds and positive cables looking for corrosion inside of the insulation.
MSD stands for May Suddenly Die. Very few people have had good luck with MSD dizzys.
With the car running ck the alt output at the alt and at the batt. Should be @14.5vdc.
get back to us with the results.
make it an abbreviated post though. wow that 1st one was long. lol

slo1

Reaction score
My friends talon was acting crazy kinda like your car and it was the computer

beuchaw94gt

Reaction score
Find a buddy or some who has a stang like yours and see if they will let u hook it up to see if it fixes then you know.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
A couple years ago my car would run like crap (backfire, barely run, misfire), and run ok, back and forth, turned out my drivers side o2 sensor
was going bad. Have you checked for any Diagnostic Trouble codes?

Dysfunction

Reaction score
Before you got the to the "door not locking" part, my first inclination was a bad disty once again. All the symptoms for it were there. My second thought is some sorta weird short in the ECU, or a short going to it. Ya know, the wire that shorted out on the Alt could have shorted the ECU.

I'd also check the relay's under the hood, and perhaps the CCRM.. That thing controls a LOT of stuff, and kooky things can happen when something in that burns up. Hell i'd check the fuses in the interior fuse box as well, why not.

You may be able to source some parts such as the CCRM and ECU from a junk yard, but i'm pretty sure you'd have to find your exact car for the ECU, not sure about the CCRM. Perhaps someone else here can attest to what all it actually does.

Like someone else said, check for codes, but at this point i'd assume you might have.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The ccrm houses the relays for the cooling fans, fuel pump, and a relay to shut off the a/c at wot.

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
"I had a grin from ear to ear when I drove it again. A smirk that you get when you don?t want to show everyone how happy you are. You know what I mean. I was siked. James just got his mustang back. Put some new headlights in and a nice set of saleens. Good stuff??"

At this point I can't believe you still turned it over to your friend.

wannaboost94gt

Reaction score
BOS-94-003 said:
"I had a grin from ear to ear when I drove it again. A smirk that you get when you don?t want to show everyone how happy you are. You know what I mean. I was siked. James just got his mustang back. Put some new headlights in and a nice set of saleens. Good stuff??"

At this point I can't believe you still turned it over to your friend.

I agree... :angry7:

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I have no idea whats wrong w/ your car but your avatar is awesome! good luck finding out what it is.

beuchaw94gt

Reaction score
Venom351R said:
I have no idea whats wrong w/ your car but your avatar is awesome! good luck finding out what it is.
I was wonderring what that was it doesn't play when im on my phone. That is awesome!

OP
OP
T

THREEOTWO04

Reaction score
Well got it started when I got up there. Looked like the battery terminals were both loose (stupid I know) and it was drained. Couldve been the popping he heard. I also ordered a reman computer to fix the check engine/self test issue. Well see how that works out. The dizzy will soon be replaced since you guys said somethin. I took the old comp out and looked to see if anything was burnt up inside, it didnt look like it but its getting replaced anyway. Ill see if that solves anything. And i really apppreciate all the help.

I thought that avatar would get a couple good comments haha Keep everyone posted when I get the new Comp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online