Theft light flashing, no start

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Not sure if this is 2v specific but hey worth a shot. I was pulling into my lady friends apartment complex and as I was turning into her parking lot I obviously drove over the small curb because it sits higher than the street. As I did that the car shut off. I thought maybe I had stalled it (I haven't stalled it since I learned how to drive it 2yrs ago, but you never know). Go to restart it and it just sat there cranking cranking cranking. Looked at the dash and the theft light was flashing and the odometer was just hash marks. So I had my lady friend come out and steer the car into a parking spot while I pushed it with another person who lived there lol. I posted in MMM tech and had a lot of feedback but I'm hoping maybe someone here has had the same issue and can point me in the right direction without me having to tear half the ****ing car apart to trace wires. The 30 amp fuse under the hood (I'm assuming is the pcm fuse? I don't have a diagram in front of me) is blown. We replaced it with my buddy's and blew it the second he cranked it.

Oh, for some fun. Here's the pics. Hey first ride home on a flatbed this year. I think I was at 3 by this time last year so I'm not at all mad lol. Just means no MW for me :dontknow:

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
My 98 something like that. . I unplugged the battery plug the battery back in turn the key to on but didn't not start the car. Waited a min then I started the car. .

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I left out a major detail that I'm going to go back and edit in. But yeah dude it's weird. Like I could get if I was starting the car after it sitting that it didn't start but I literally was driving it when it died. Damn good thing I was on a major street or on a railroad track or something

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Most people that I've been reading up on haven't. Figures something odd happens and I can't find anything on it. Lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said it sounds like you either have a short somewhere or that something is malfunctioning and pulling too much current. No matter what you do if you have that dumbass friend that suggests putting a bigger fuse in it do NOT listen to him.... As rz said you need to start by finding out exactly what is on that circuit and we can see if we can isolate those pieces to figure out which is bad or causing problems. If you have done ANY parts replacement near ANY wires recently start there to look for bare copper.

chris91

Reaction score
With your recent exhaust work I'd be checking tranny harness and o2 harnesses for bad spots.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
An o2 wire harness can cause this? I know my rears are ****ed up. Guess I should check there first...

Scott yeah no I'm definitely not putting a larger fuse in. I might as well just run a jumper wire across the circuit if I wanted to fry the ecu. But honestly other than the catback I made I haven't done shit to the car since last year. Go figure. I'll start looking around tho when I feel like it and see what I can see. I'll keep you posted.

Tracing wires is so much fun it should be illegal! -__-

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What fuse # is it exactly? We can narrow it down by finding out what else is on that fuse and disconnecting it so only the ecu is hooked up. At that point if it still pops the fuse then yes I would start either at the exhaust or any other areas of recent work and start looking for bare copper/burned wires/something obvious. If nothing obvious comes out and hits you in the face then go a little deeper into the wiring and don't be afraid to get a little rough with it and give it a good pull/tug here/there to see if possibly you have a bad pin in a hrns that you can unseat and see. Those can be a pain in the ass and it only takes a single stray wire to get across to do it so give all your hrns's a good look front/back.

Yes tracing wires is way way too much fun huh!

coldweatherstang

Reaction score
This probably too little too late but I had the same problem with my 98 when my battery died and I went to jump it. Oddly enough I was able to get to stop screaming at me by hitting lock/unlock on the key fob. It has done it twice I believe.

stock

Reaction score
Like the last guy, I know this is late. But I had a very similar situation with my 96 years ago. Ended up being a short in my o2 harness where it rubbed against the tranny mount. Unplug the harness that runs along the top of the tranny, put a new fuse in. If it doesn't pop, your short is somewhere on that stretch of harness. Good luck!

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
^^^Thank you for finding this thread I actually tried to a few days ago but couldn't find it.

It ended up being the red wire on my MAF wire harness. With the JLT having relocated the MAF into the fenderwell, it also relocated the wire harness, obviously. But anyways the wire harness was rubbing against the opening on the body and eventually I guess it wore through the insulation, and it started arcing on the body (found a small burn hole at the spot on the body). Sure enough moved the wire harness and taped it up, and fired right up. Unbelievable what one small wire could do... Glad I found it. Got lucky I found it too

chris91

Reaction score
Yeah little shit like that will get ya. Sounds like a similar situation I had happen to me. When I had my Supercharged 94 Integra back in the day I had 550cc injectors from a turbo DSM installed in a shop(I was young and didnt mess with electrical shit at all) I was like 2 hours from home selling a set of wheels and while sitting at a Mcdonalds drive through it died. Kept trying to start it and no luck. Me and my buddy pushed it into the lot and start checking things out. Looking through fuses and sure enough one was blown. Replaced and go to fire it up and pop, another fuse dies. It did this about 4 times trying different things. Finally I trace all the wiring on the injector side and noticed they had to extend my wiring for some reason. Well wouldnt you know it, the spot they soldered was black taped very scarcely and the bare spot was arcing on my blower. I always keep a roll of electric tape in my car, so I tapped the hell outta it. Threw a new fuse in, and she was good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99