Theft light

Reaction score
I have a 99 cobra convertible and the theft light is staying on. I think it is draining my battery but it could be because the battery is almost 4 years old also. What would cause it to come on and stay on? I had it over at my Grandpas over the winter for about 5 months without a battery charger on it. I have one on there now and am going to leave it on there for about 24 hours. It does start and drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It does have a key fob with it.

lutter94

Reaction score
What amp rate are you going to leave it on for 24 hrs? That sounds like a terrible idea.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
12 amp is what it is at right now and it seems to be starting better since I have had that on. This battery is one that has the lids on it that you can take off and see if it is low I wonder if I should take them off and see if it is low on battery fluid.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it would be easier and a better test to take it out and go to autozone to have them test it. A led on all day/night will kill a battery slowly so I would not be surprised if it is going down. The light should shut off so there is something wrong there. I am only familiar with 94/5 electrical system and they didn't have the security like this. I would start by checking the manual to see what it says more then likely the alarm is trying to tell you something, or its just shorted out.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Chris91 on here has the same problem and he has not found a solution either. It does not blink it just stays on. I have the remotes I guess from when they bought it, the symbols are starting to rub off and could that be the problem that the key fobs, I need new ones?

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
I just got it out ready for some summer use and I don't want to have to worry about having a dead battery every time I take it out.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
When I tried to start it it did the needles all the wrong way like it said in that article. Printing out the article now and going to go try it.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
I just tried that and according to the diag screen I have a bad battery says low on it. So I will be going and getting a new battery. Thanks I will send this to Chris91.

lutter94

Reaction score
I would have the battery tested also. They should be able to do it at the auto parts store.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
also when you get it tested, leave it there for a few hours as they will want to charge it and then test it. if I passes leave it unhooked from the car for a few hours and then test the voltage to be sure it has not slipped while its not even hooked up. I have seen batteries test good but then 2 hrs later they dropped 2 volts.

Worst case scenario you could try and pull the bulb but it would probably end up with a warning chime with a warning light out. IF that is the case just put a piece of tape over the back of the light housing to block it.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Mine quit when I drove it to Harrison OH then I just checked it and it is on with the key out so I am going to get a new battery. The sticker on the battery says 10/11 so the battery is almost 4 years old this year.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Update: Went and had my battery tested it was bad, replaced it and now when I drive it the light stays off but when I put it in park and the key is out of it the light stays on. I am dumbfounded by what is going on. I will try that link again and see what it says after that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do you know for sure that the pats system in your car has not been disabled? Have you ever tried to start it with an unchipped key?

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
No I don't know but the theft light stays off now when driving and just blinks when the key is out of it. And when it blinks it is a quick blink and dim one. I do not have any other keys then the ones with the key fob on it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
next time you are at the hardware store have them cut a key with out the chip in it to test. IT will only cost a couple of bucks and you can always hide it on the car to get in if your locked out. I would not be surprised if there was a problem with the system and it was bypassed but still showing a err code for some reason. Have you tried to pull any err codes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online