Thermostat

cody0170

Reaction score
I have a 1996 gt and i think it is stock with a 192-195 degree. What will i benefit from changing it to a 180

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
To me yes because you want the engine to run as close to 180 as possible. The cooler the engine the more power it has. That why people use ice at the track.

S

scarface

quickstang_1994 said:
To me yes because you want the engine to run as close to 180 as possible. The cooler the engine the more power it has. That why people use ice at the track.
I agree....besides, you probably need new coolant anyway.

96flmustang

Reaction score
When I had my 96 GT I changed mine and it was very easy. Only lost a little coolant in the process. The only question I have about doing it is do you have to adjust the computer settings at all? I never did but if I remember correctly, someone told me I needed to.

97blackgt

Reaction score
oncee you change it you will be fine, The computer will not need to be changed or anything

NYC94GT

Reaction score
cody0170 said:
I have a 1996 gt and i think it is stock with a 192-195 degree. What will i benefit from changing it to a 180
Dude, here is something that I've learned and it makes sense as I remember it from my many torturous Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer classes in Engineering school....

Don't change the T-STAT:
For the Engine to run at optimal temperatures (a balance between not overheating and making the most power) the cylinders need to be around 210-230*. To maintain this, the cooling system needs to operate well under a bevy of conditions such as outside temps and such. etc..
To transfer heat from the engine to the coolant, the coolant must flow "slow" enough to allow the heat to transfer from the metal to the coolant. This is why T-STATS are important because they will open and close at a predetermined temp. For optimal heat transfer, the coolant needs to stay almost stagnant inside the engine passages, allowing the engine to heat it up. Once the coolant reaches the temp of 195* at the T-STAT, it will open, allowing the hot coolant to flow to the radiator. The hot coolant will then be replaced with cold coolant in the radiator. The cycle continues... BUT, If you run too cold a T-STAT, the T-STAT will stay open constantly, AND NEVER CLOSE. Thus, never allowing for proper heat transfer. Remember, Heat Transfer is a Time derivative event. It doesn't happen automatically. EXAMPLE, Touch a hot pan with your finger for 1 second and you don't get burned. Leave it on the pan for 2 seconds and you are in pain! Hence HEAT TRANSFER. :lol: The true problem with our cars is the size of the radiator. The single core flimsy unit is too small for engines with the slightest of mods. It doesn't allow for good heat dissapation of the incomming hot coolant. thus the engine runs hotter. Trust me, I tried the 180* T-STAT and it actually made my car run hotter. I changed the Rad, installed the factory 195* Stat, installed a higher flowing Pump (higher flow pressures) and it never moves above the "O-R" on the gauge.

BTW, someone mentioned the use of Ice... They use ice to cool the intake charge. Colder Air means it is denser. The denser the air the more power it makes. It is not used to cool the engine, per se'.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
96flmustang said:
When I had my 96 GT I changed mine and it was very easy. Only lost a little coolant in the process. The only question I have about doing it is do you have to adjust the computer settings at all? I never did but if I remember correctly, someone told me I needed to.
Don't know about the 96 EEC, but if the engine never heats up it will run in "OPEN LOOP" mode and that is not good for optimal power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.