Thermostate Question???

95GTSNJ

Reaction score
Hello....

I have been having alot of issues with my 95 overheating......Fan comes on and cools it down till i jump on it then it seems to overheat without fan comming on again....I order a fluidyne radiator since i was told it could be that. There are no leaks and tp radiator hose gets hot and hard so that should be telling me water pump is ok and thermostate is open....BUT

If the thermostate was stuck open would i be having this issue?....PLan on taking it out tonight to see just thought id ask...THANKS :hitit: :rockyou:

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
If it were stuck OPEN then I would think it would run cooler...the coolant is cycling through the rad the whole time and cooling it off. Did you already install the fluidyne?

OP
OP

95GTSNJ

Reaction score
NO....havent yet hoping it will be here tommorrow or the next day so......everyone i ask keeps telling me that is what it is the radiator.....but id figure id ask...Could it also be the fan too...??? The fan does come on though.....so??? THANKS

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
Ford has the stock fan come on way too late. The new Rad should make a noticable difference. Mine runs hot too, like 205ish in stop and go driving with a 180 stat. 

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
you should look into a manual fan switch mod it works great and keeps your car cool everytime you switch it on.... i would also change the thermostat for shits and giggles since its inexpensive

DamieN

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
The fan is prob fine then, I would just put in a slightly lower? temp thermostat. Hopefully your thermostat is just faulty.

Yeah i have seen tons of faulty thermostats... id find one of the best 180 ones and see how that works if not take the thing out completley until the rad gets there... it should flow much cooler.

fordtech

Reaction score
Buy a mr gasket thermostat those are the best !!The thermostat opens up at the temperature it says its going to open and it doesn't rely on pressure to open which most of the ones out there do and they dont open at the temp it says its going to open normally they open within ten degrees of what they say it opens.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
i did a 180 with the fan mod, and mine runs nice and cold.

high_racer

Reaction score
Well I had the same problem
I replaced a 160 thermostat.
My car is running cool now , I dont need any Fluidyne or fast fan anymore.
I suggest you to go with 170 or 180 thermostat.

ryclef331

Reaction score
331 stroker, heads, cam, intake, etc.

ALL STOCK COOLING SYSTEM DOWN TO THE PUMP and a 180 'Stat. Something isn't "right" if you're running that hot. Throwing a 180 degree thermostat isn't going to to help that much. The fans still won't come on until later (its something like 220 I believe for the highspeed fan). You can do the fan switch (manual or thermo switch) to make them come on early or if you get a tune (like I did) you can have it done like that. Regardless, something isn't right. Try a thermostat first....they're easy to replace and cheap. Look at your radiator overflow after you get on it. Is coolant getting push into it? If so, you might need a radiator cap...again cheap. Take the belt off and check the water pump. Spin the pulley and see if it spin smoothly. Other than seals going bad, I don't see the pump NO pumping water unless there is an ungodly amount of built up gunk in it. BEFORE YOU SPEND THE MONEY FIND THE PROBLEM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99