Think i can reach my goal?

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
Well, this summer, i have a small slew of mods i want to complete before the summer is over:

PI Cams and intake
5 speed swap
Gears ( debating between 4.10's and 3.90's)
Subframe connectors
Throttle body

In terms of power mods, this is what i have now:

K&N FIPK
Screamin Demon coils
Mac o/r H pipe
Flowmaster 40's

Im gonna dyno after i do my cams, intake and throttle body. with the 5 speed swap, my goal is to reach at least 220 RWHP and maybe 260 RWTQ with those power mods.....is it attainable? Thanks!

Trickflow plenum

ripper

Reaction score
If i remember right the stock motor is 230hp so your there allready.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Stevo said:

stock 5 sp puts down about 190rwhp...

with the PI intake/Cams and a tune you should easily hit 220+rwhp and more with TB/Plenum etc etc

S

scarface

YOU CAN DO IT!
Waterboy_2.jpg

THose PI parts should get you there.

Dusstbuster

Reaction score
Here is what I dyno'd out at w/ the mods you see in my sig, this is through an auto and not a 5spd obviously.
Dyno.jpg

ripper

Reaction score
Yikes i musta been thinkin flywheel sorry :comando:

Dusstbuster

Reaction score
Well he has a 98 gt with a 96 gt engine in it, so it's rated at 215hp stock which puts him ~182RWHP stock. The 98 engines were rated at 225 which would put him ~192RWHP stock.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Stevo said:

stock 5 sp puts down about 190rwhp...

with the PI intake/Cams and a tune you should easily hit 220+rwhp and more with TB/Plenum etc etc

yeah DTP is right. my 01 motor (stock) puts down around 230rwhp.

voidfinger

Reaction score
Dusstbuster said:
Well he has a 98 gt with a 96 gt engine in it, so it's rated at 215hp stock which puts him ~182RWHP stock. The 98 engines were rated at 225 which would put him ~192RWHP stock.

If he had a 96 motor and put it in a 98 he would still have the same power. The only difference is the tune on the computer. Exactly the same motor, even though some would say that the heads are better on the 98 but not really.

Grnstang

Reaction score
As far as stock numbers, go to musclemustangfastfords.com and look up project red headed stepchild. They have a 96 Mustang GT, 5 speed though, and completely stock it put down 195 to the wheels before they started modding the shit out of it. And as far as the cams are concerned, with a few other bolt ons to include, intake plenum, 75mm throttle body, underdrive pulleys, catted X, magnaflow catback, diablo chip and competition cams the 96 GT put down 230rwhp and 292lb-ft of torque. This article is awesome. You should definately read it. Oh, and not to mention, their project car had over 200,000 on the meter.

OP
OP

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
I actually read that article! Only thing was that because the motor had a ton of miles, the horsepower was down. If the motor had less miles, the numbers wouldve been more. If you n otice, everytime after the mods they would dyno it. They ended up at 241 RWHP before they pulled the motor. When they dynoed it before the yanked it out, it was at 236 RWHP. My motor has little over 70k on the clock ;D

Grnstang

Reaction score
Awesome article huh? I loved it and yeah, because yours has relatively low miles you probably will see a little better numbers. Probably not much though. But as for your goal, I'd say it's very realistic and not too tough either. Especially if you're going to swap from auto to manual. In fact, with the mods you have now, I'd say you're about halfway there. Cams are friggin expensive though :-\ I'm actually going to put some in myself if I ever get the money. Good Luck man.

LI98GT

Reaction score
We need to come up with a name for us NPI headed stangs with PI cams and PI intake to make it easy to reference.....But to answer your question, you should be able to get to your goal no problem with the 5 speed swap. With additional mods listed in my sig, minus the plenum I just installed, I dyno'd at just over 229 rwhp and 276 rwtq on a dynojet.

I loved the idea of that article, but I thought they went about it the wrong way - the order of the mods that is. And it would have been great to see the PI heads added at the end to see what the difference is between doing a full headswap and installing PI cams and PI intake only.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea in the article they said they went about it the wrong way. They said if you wanted to make the power you needed to go on and put the pi heads on. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.