Think i can reach my goal?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I hated that article/series , Holdener is a NPI basher and always has been. I wanted them to do a fully prepped set of NPI heads and then add some high lift cams and put that big intake they made on it but they got impatient and wanted to skip straight to the PI stuff and blower etc...

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea thats true but its all money ya know. Most people arn't going to have the fully prepped npi heads and they will drop those in favor of the slightly ported pi heads ya know.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't they use a stage 2 or 3 set of PI heads from TEA or someone in the test that they hit 400rwhp N/A? Why not do it with some Stage 2 or 3 NPI's from Steen or Renegade to make it a fair comparrison...They are a magazine and have access to alot of free and heavily discounted parts so i doubt cost was an issue. Just mentioning the companies name will more then pay for the free stuff they get.

Grnstang

Reaction score
Yeah, one of the other things I think they went wrong with was the computer tune. The SCT reps say you should have all your mods on before you go with the tune in order to max the HP#'s. If I remember correctly, I think the computer chip was added right after the air intake, plenum and underdrives and then they went onto the bigger mods, x-pipe, cams and so on. They probably could have had better numbers.

voidfinger

Reaction score
but didn't they use a f.a.s.t system anyway?? if they did then they completely built the program in it.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
there are a lot more diffrences than just the tune in the 96 to 98 comparison....
just a little opinion...get the 3.90's or 3.73's for a stick..
just follow the RHSC from MM&FF, the numbers will be close for the mods you do, if not higher

voidfinger

Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
there are a lot more diffrences than just the tune in the 96 to 98 comparison....

ok then, whats different that lends to the extra power? You don't have to mention the fuel rail or the bastard pump in the tank. They don't help out at all. So what else is different then?

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
the computer tune, the radiator/fan, and i may be wrong but some parts of the engine were worked over...i.e. the heads & intake :-\

voidfinger

Reaction score
intake...no

Heads....heard rumors that the exaust flows more on the head but not to the tune of 10hp.

It's mostly in the computer tune dude.

I know drop said one time that the heads were different with the exaust and that i think renegade would only work on 98 heads. its possible but i dont think its that big of a difference. It doesn't really mater anyway lol :)

OP
OP

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
IIRC, RHSC only did cams, they never changed the intake manifold...i bet with all the other mods and a PI intake, they could have gotten into the 250 RWHP range....

Whitepony

Reaction score
I read that the difference in power between the 97 and 98 is because of a change with the exhaust.

possibly the fuel mapping also.

OP
OP

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
im still using the 98 ECU with my 96 motor, so will that kinda make a difference? lol

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Whitepony said:
I read that the difference in power between the 97 and 98 is because of a change with the exhaust.

possibly the fuel mapping also.
its not because of the exhaust, it is because of the tuning...

voidfinger

Reaction score
first off, let me say i'm sorry for getting huffy back there with you guys. After i said that about the only thing being the tune... i looked at it again and every site i went to said that the exaust side of the heads were "ported" which is probably only opened up a little. But that only changes a little, so i would say its in the tune and exaust port of the head. I still could be wrong but i don't want to say incorrect info on here. That would be wrong of me... again i'm sorry. As far as the rest of the exaust i think it stayed the same. Maybe the # of converters went up or something but thats all i can think lol.

Mitchell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online