Think my clutch is starting to go (MT)

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
I'm at 114k miles. On the highway in fifth, if I hit the gas the RPM's kind of jump up, but the speed of the car gradually increases then catches up to it. Is there any specific type of clutch I should get? Any mild upgrades? Anything else I should be aware of that may need to be checked out as well? The car has the 3.27 gear option from factory. No mods other than catted x-pipe and catback exhaust. Car's just daily driven locally these days, occasional romp when merging onto the highway.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Parts store replacement clutch works great. The 03/04 cobra replacement clutch is beefier and little more money.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Replace the TOB while you're in there for sure.
I used to recommend Timken, but pretty sure it's made in CHY-NA now.

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
I'd find the least expensive kit with a lifetime warranty. Just replaced the clutch on my '98 GT last weekend with a Duralast kit from autozone. Came with the clutchplate, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing for $110. Very easy to use in daily driving. Any clutch upgrade will be a nightmare to daily drive in.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I'd find the least expensive kit with a lifetime warranty. Just replaced the clutch on my '98 GT last weekend with a Duralast kit from autozone. Came with the clutchplate, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing for $110. Very easy to use in daily driving. Any clutch upgrade will be a nightmare to daily drive in.

Keep your fingers crossed that the t.o.b. doesn't start chirping

badass98svt

Reaction score
Interesting. This is the third Duralast clutch kit I've installed (different vehicles) and never had TOB issues. Is that a Mustang specific case?
Yes, the cheaper t.o.b. don't seem to last very long. I used to recommend Motorcraft or Timken, but I think it's all made in China now anyway.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
What I've found, at least in the case of oil filters and few other things, is the Motorcraft became Chine made some time ago but FoMoCo is still Murica.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
So does FoMoCo still offer clutches for our cars? Are all clutches essentially made in China now?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The valeo clutches ive seen aren't made in the good ol'US. IIRC, they made in Brazil.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
They're also made in Romania or at least they were for a time.

Not sure if FoMoCo does clutches, maybe only for the newer generation stangs. Things get older and less purchased within the dealer networks, parts typically get taken on by people like LMR, AM, CJ, etc, and sometimes the only way for it to stay economical is for them to dig a hole to China.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score

I'm on RockAuto, which clutch would you recommend going with? I see both Veleo and Motorcraft on there. Willing to upgrade if it's worth it, because after this I'm going to start to chase squeaks in the rear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99