Thinking about buying a 98 GT convertable. Opinions wanted.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a 98 convertible and swapping over all of the mods from my 98 GT coupe. I would like to hear your opinions on the pro's and con's of a vert. My end goal is a fun driver with about 300rwhp and good handling. I would definitely do subframe connectors and probably a MM rollbar. I also plan to stay 2 valve and a 5 speed.

Thanks!

joekd

Reaction score
Plus - open air driving, Negative - have to maintain top and eventually replace

Sorry, that's all I have :)

stingracer

Reaction score
Joekd pretty much nailed it. Your plans are exactly inline with mine.

I mainly like it for nice drives to the beach or Keywest and a little power to have fun with friends. The car rattles a bit and is louder than a coupe would be but I really enjoy drives with the top down. My car is a weekend car, therefore I don't daily it. If I had to daily the car I would have sold it a long time ago.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I like the idea of a convertible but a car that rattles would bug.

I am considering another car because my 98 by has some issues.
My clear coat is so oxidized that the car looks horrible.
My PATS system has me locked out right now...

For what it would cost to fix these 2 issues I can buy another 98 GT with good paint since these cars are not worth much.

My "donor" has a lot of good parts, most of which I can easily move to a good car.
Engine:
PI intake
SR 70MM intake and plenum with a cold air kit
MSD coils and Ford racing wires
Steeda underdrive pulleys
BBK shorty headers
SLP catted X pipe
Magnaflow exhaust
New radiator
New battery
New PS pump
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Energy suspension motor and trans mounts
SVE clutch and New Ford racing flywheel
Stifflers trans crossmember
Ford racing aluminum driveshaft
SCT tuner
I just need some PI heads and good cams

Suspension:
MM subframe connectors
MM strut tower brace
MM steering shaft
MM cc plates
MM solid rack bushings
MM hd rear lower control arms
MM pinion snubber
J&M rear upper control arms
New axle side Ford control arm bushings
Tokico blue shocks and struts
Eibach Pro kit springs
Eibach sway bars
Cobra brakes with stainless hoses and Power slot rotors
New Moog ball joints
Poly front control arm bushings
Steeda bump steer kit
17x9 and 17x10.5 Bullit wheels with 275 and 315 MT Street comps

Exterior:
Cobra front bumper
2" Cobra R hood
Cobra headlights
Shorty antenna

Interior:
New grey carpet
Corbeau CR 1 seats
Triax shifter
Rear seat delete
Pioneer receiver with 4 6x8 speakers. I still need a subwoofer.

So the only question now is which body style... I am not in a big rush to find a car and I don't mind travelling for a good one.

Any more opinions are welcome.
Thanks!

PinkieT

Reaction score
My wife and I both have 98 GT ragtops for weekend fun. Coupes are common, ragtops not. We love them! Nothing like cruising around on nice day with the top down. Absolutetly, do the chassis stiffening mods - subframe, strut brace, rear shock tower brace. Might not be the best choice for a daily driver, but for a toy why the hell not. Add a style bar!

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I am basically at the point you want to be with my 98 vert - 300hp, 5speed, sfc, and 4 point roll bar.

As stated above being able to put the top down is great, but will need maintenance and possible replacement.
Replacement isn't really a concern of mine as the parts are available and can be done by a shop for about $1000.
However, be sure that the header seal (weatherstripping around the windshield for the top) is in good condition, because I have not found a quality replacement. It will leak if damaged.

If the roads where you live are hole filled and bumpy like the ones in Ohio, it will limit your lowering capability, due to the extra bracing beneath the k-member.
First set of springs I bought lowered the car about 2 inches in the front and I hit the skid plate everywhere, but it did protect the oil pan.
The extra bracing also limits long tube options, but haven't seen any fitment issues with shortys.

All in all I much prefer my vert over the coupe for SN95 and love every minute of driving.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
You posted a thread?!?!

lol

Yeah, I know... I'm still figuring out what to do.

Lots of things I didn't know like rattles, the brace scraping, the header seal. I know what to look for in a hardtop but not a vert. I want the best car for the least amount I can spend.

Thanks again guys. Any info is appreciated!

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Yeah for somebody like me the rattles drive me up the wall. And with my H&Rs I scrape damn near everything with the xBrace. My top seal is still holding up for now though.

Tha trap house.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The weight is only on 94/95 verts IIRC.

I prefer a convertible and drove mine daily for @ 5 years or so. I drove it up and down I-95 from NJ to FL a few times also.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That may be right, I have only removed it on 94/95 because I've never played with a 96+ vert. hmmm

joekd

Reaction score
Yeah I actually went looking for that weight when I had my 96, oh well

PinkieT

Reaction score
I swapped the interior on my wife's car and added a strut tower brace. Rattled over bumps, drove us nuts. I stripped the dash to the essentials and still couldn't find it. Took the dash out, checked all parts, padded possible trouble areas, put it back in, still rattled. Turns out a small fitting on a hose on top of the motor was hitting the strut brace. Twisted it 1/4 turn, car no longer rattles. Don't blame the 'vert part for all rattles, they could be someplace else!