Thinking about buying a 98 GT convertable. Opinions wanted.

sn95jones

Reaction score
I'll chime in here since I recently had a New Edge GT Vert.
Based on my short term ownership of it I'll say this... Meh.
When I first bought it I was stoked I had a Sonic Blue Vert. Didn't take long until I realized I was in love with the color, not the color and the fact it was a vert. Be ready for alot more wind noise when driving it. I figured having the New Edge with the PI motor I wouldn't really notice the weight gain having a vert as opposed to a coupe but boy was I wrong. They are dogs in stock form with the added weight.
Safety wise, I'll give it an A+.
This was the result of mine after a distracted driver in a 2014 Honda CRV darted into my lane.
My Fiancee was in the passenger seat, got blunt force trauma to her back, lacerations, and burns from the airbag, but the cabin was literally untouched.

So long story short, it's a safe, heavy, slow, but fun experience car. It's interesting when you drive next to a semi on the highway with the top down.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Holy Crap! I am glad you are ok! Thanks for the input. How much more than a coupe does a vert weigh?

sn95jones

Reaction score
Yeah I think they come weighing in at like 3500 lbs. They are indeed heavy as opposed to the 3200lbs in a coupe.
But keep in mind my new edge had 260hp the 1998 mustang gt makes I think 225hp due to a refined exhaust where as the earlier 4.6 motors made 215hp.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Weight will depend on options etc, but my 96 Vert had all option and weighed 3450lbs. Most coupes with similar options (mach 460/leather etc) weigh in @ 3300 lbs.

You aren't going to really feel a 200b difference on the street.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Weight will depend on options etc, but my 96 Vert had all option and weighed 3450lbs. Most coupes with similar options (mach 460/leather etc) weigh in @ 3300 lbs.

You aren't going to really feel a 200b difference on the street.

Bingo, butt dyno's really aren't that good at picking up what would be 2 tenths in the quarter all else perfect.

AzzLyp

Reaction score
I have a 98 gt vert and I like it a lot. I like it a lot more now with the 32v in it... lol. And yes, it rattles. But it's grown on me quite a bit. Still haven't driven it that much with the top down though. How often do you guys actually drive with the tops down? And to the op - how often do you plan on driving with the top down?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you can hear the rattling then your stereo isn't big enough and your exhaust isn't loud enough.

Carry on ladies!!!! :)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you can hear the rattling then your stereo isn't big enough and your exhaust isn't loud enough.

Carry on ladies!!!! :)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Exactly!

Only rattles I have are from the bass shaking shit loose and when the top is down all I hear is sweet Borla music.

My vert is surprisingly quiet for a car built in the mid 90's when standards for fit and finish on sub 40k cars was nothing to get excited about.

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Exactly!

Only rattles I have are from the bass shaking shit loose and when the top is down all I hear is sweet Borla music.

My vert is surprisingly quiet for a car built in the mid 90's when standards for fit and finish on sub 40k cars was nothing to get excited about.
Lol, yeah I don't have a problem with the rattles either when the exhaust or the system is going...

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
I have a 98 gt vert and I like it a lot. I like it a lot more now with the 32v in it... lol. And yes, it rattles. But it's grown on me quite a bit. Still haven't driven it that much with the top down though. How often do you guys actually drive with the tops down? And to the op - how often do you plan on driving with the top down?

The novelty of putting the top down wore off fairly quickly after i bought it. Unless the drive is worthwhile then it's too much hassle. Messing with the windows and putting the pump/pistons through any unneeded stress.

Aside from the Styling bar install, i've put it down probably around 15-20 times in over a yr of owning it. And i live in florida...

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score

I would think 32v would make it more fun... I would probably only put the top down on weekends. I'm still on the fence, it will probably depend on whether a good convertible or hardtop comes up first.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
See I think most people assume you put the top down in the Summer only. When it is hot out I use the AC so that top stays up. I would drop the top every night on my way home from work and during Spring and Fall when temps are mid 70's are perfect. I never drove my car in the Winter so I don't know anything about that. I did drive it on some really cold days but I have a remote start so heat was ready to go.

AzzLyp

Reaction score
I would think 32v would make it more fun... I would probably only put the top down on weekends. I'm still on the fence, it will probably depend on whether a good convertible or hardtop comes up first.
I'ts like a night and day difference with the 32v. Such a worthwhile swap. Smiles per gallon now. lol

The novelty of putting the top down wore off fairly quickly after i bought it. Unless the drive is worthwhile then it's too much hassle. Messing with the windows and putting the pump/pistons through any unneeded stress.

Aside from the Styling bar install, i've put it down probably around 15-20 times in over a yr of owning it. And i live in florida...
I hear you there. So far my wife has put the top down more than I have. haha
See I think most people assume you put the top down in the Summer only. When it is hot out I use the AC so that top stays up. I would drop the top every night on my way home from work and during Spring and Fall when temps are mid 70's are perfect. I never drove my car in the Winter so I don't know anything about that. I did drive it on some really cold days but I have a remote start so heat was ready to go.
The A/C was one of the reasons I bought this car, even though it's a vert. The Cali sun is great, but it's way too hot to just let it beat down on you, even with just a sunroof. I do like using it at night and in the evening though.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't realize you live in Cali! That's a no brainer. If I was in California I wouldn't own anything but a vert.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I'm on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. If it isn't raining, the top is down!
Anywhere from 40-110 °F, it doesn't matter.
I will never understand why people buy a convertible and then use the A/C.

sn95jones

Reaction score
I'm on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. If it isn't raining, the top is down!
Anywhere from 40-110 °F, it doesn't matter.
I will never understand why people buy a convertible and then use the A/C.
Same reason I did. If I want the top down but it's a blistering 110F out the cool air coming from the vents will help atleast a little.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about your areas but East Coast Summers are extremely Humid so mix that with leather seats and hot sun and the potential for back/ass sweat is high. Maybe you like to show up somewhere with swamp ass but not me. I almost swapped in a cloth seat because they breathe better but the wife wouldn't go for it.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
So after 2 months of searching Craigslist all over the western US I found a car...

4V goodness

I found it in Phoenix, flew in Saturday and drove it home. 128,000 miles, runs great and drives really well. Completely stock except for a few "old man touches" by the previous owner. I drove from phoenix to Flagstaff with the top down and loved it. It has black leather, a style bar and a 2 peice Cervenis roadster top.

I haven't even had time to wash it since I got home. I will start a build thread soon.

Thanks again for all the input guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online