Thinking about downgrading to stock-ish brakes

familytruckster

Reaction score
I bought my car with Baer 13" Track kit installed on both axles. I've fixed the issues with the Baer brakes (poor install job), but stock wheels won't fit over the front calipers. They seem to be an overkill and I'm thinking about going stock on the rear (have a set from the replacement axle I had to install) and either going cobra or stock 99-04 PBR on the front. The car is my daily and gets about 1600 miles a week and I'd like to run stock wheels because tires are significantly less expensive. Not to mention the cost of parts for the Baer brakes.

Your thoughts?

OP
OP
F

familytruckster

Reaction score
I'd consider a local trade plus cash, can't have the car down for long. I might just buy new and sell the Baer off later.

OP
OP
F

familytruckster

Reaction score
I'm in Maryland or Ohio depending on the day.

I have a faster car that handles better. My Country Squire.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What calipers? IIRC some of those track kits had the same PBR 2 piston calipers as the Cobra's.

Does your kit have the 4 piston?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh thats a nice kit. If I didn't have a 6 piston kit waiting to go on I would have swapped my Bullitt brakes and some cash for yours.

RichV

Reaction score
Honestly, I ran the 99-04 PBR 11" setup on my road race car for years. But if you've already got the brake bling, just keep it. I can't imagine it is that much cheaper for pads and tires considering how long they last.

Downside is if you have a brake failure, probably can't just go to the nearest part barn and get stuff.

I'm sure you can sell them and have some money in your pocket when done, but the trouble of redoing all 4 corners to have $200 in your pocket in the end does not make it worth the trouble IMO.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
what are you asking for them cash? any pics?

OP
OP
F

familytruckster

Reaction score
Well, I hate chrome wheels too. :)(The car has nasty chrome 03 cobra reps) I go through a lot of tires driving 1600 miles a week. $25-$40 bucks saved per tire is pretty significant every few months. It's not much work, few hours to swap all 4 corners. The ability to go anywhere and get calipers and rotors is a big plus, since it's my only car. Getting stranded 150 miles from home or work sucks when Baer is unresponsive to contact about parts. Also, the type of tire available for the price is quite an issue. Nobody makes a 275/40/17 winter tire.

As for pads...20,000 miles and I had to replace the rears-which was less than 4 months. Worn out and one of the springs had broken and the pad was making a ton of noise. $80 for replacements, not including the hardware I had to replace. I think the brake bias needs adjustment, along with a different master cylinder.

Not sure what I'd ask for them. No pics yet.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
oh, my bad i thought this was in classifieds and you were selling the brakes lol. my opinion would be to keep the brakes, get better wheels :) you said your were shity anyway

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
oh, my bad i thought this was in classifieds and you were selling the brakes lol. my opinion would be to keep the brakes, get better wheels :) you said your were shity anyway
He said he wanted factory. He is in Ohio. Figure maybe you guys could work out a trade. .

RichV

Reaction score
What do you do to drive 1600 miles PER WEEK??

I'd be more apt to find a commuter to put the miles on. My buddy just bought a 40mpg Saturn for $600 because he drives about 600 miles per week.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd keep them tires ain't that much more money plus you got some serious stopping power if ever needed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online