Thinking about selling my Porsche for a Cobra...

bludblu

Reaction score
I sold a classic 69 911E (First year for full injection) after storing it for several years. The car was a gem. The issue was the fuel injection needed some work to run properly. The cost of the repair with the challenge of finding parts was a nightmare. Even had quotes on going to a 3.6 with turbo flares, g50 trans and supporting mods. I just could not justify the cost. So. sold it to someone on the east coast. Several cars later, I have a 97 Cobra in the garage. I really think that for the money. The sn95 Cobras offer some of the best bang for the buck out there.

Mack

Reaction score
Interesting question, and I'm impressed by the quality of the discussion by everybody.

I'm certainly not a Porsche guy but the old ones get my respect, so a choice between a Termi or an old Porsche is a tough one.

I read you are not driving the Porsche because you are afraid somebody might hit it. I assume your first aim of buying a car is driving it. I can relate to that - being in Europe, wanting to import a Mustang from the US I really needed to think about what I wanted. I love 94-98 Saleens, but in the end I got a GT with Saleen wing and rims. Not a Saleen, not even a Cobra but "just" a GT.

Why? With the Saleen bodykit I would go mad driving it - my country is filled with speedbumps and high curbs. I would ruin the bumpers immediately and importing spares from the US would cost a fortune. Same with a Cobra - there's only a handful of Cobra's in the country so spares are hard to come by. GT's on the other hand: these bodyparts are available in the country.

I can tell you, I might not have a true Saleen but my car turns heads anyway. But I can drive around without going mad about damaging the car, and that makes it a lot more fun.

Good luck with your choice. If you have the option, keep them both. If you can only have one and you want to drive without worries: get the Termi.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
I sold a classic 69 911E (First year for full injection) after storing it for several years. The car was a gem. The issue was the fuel injection needed some work to run properly. The cost of the repair with the challenge of finding parts was a nightmare. Even had quotes on going to a 3.6 with turbo flares, g50 trans and supporting mods. I just could not justify the cost. So. sold it to someone on the east coast. Several cars later, I have a 97 Cobra in the garage. I really think that for the money. The sn95 Cobras offer some of the best bang for the buck out there.
I hear you on that, and that was definitely one of my concerns with the Porsche. When the fuel injection starts to go - it's quite a pretty penny to get it going again. Test equipment is a must or you're just needlessly swapping out parts. I thought a lot about that in my decision.

Interesting question, and I'm impressed by the quality of the discussion by everybody.

I'm certainly not a Porsche guy but the old ones get my respect, so a choice between a Termi or an old Porsche is a tough one.

I read you are not driving the Porsche because you are afraid somebody might hit it. I assume your first aim of buying a car is driving it. I can relate to that - being in Europe, wanting to import a Mustang from the US I really needed to think about what I wanted. I love 94-98 Saleens, but in the end I got a GT with Saleen wing and rims. Not a Saleen, not even a Cobra but "just" a GT.

Why? With the Saleen bodykit I would go mad driving it - my country is filled with speedbumps and high curbs. I would ruin the bumpers immediately and importing spares from the US would cost a fortune. Same with a Cobra - there's only a handful of Cobra's in the country so spares are hard to come by. GT's on the other hand: these bodyparts are available in the country.

I can tell you, I might not have a true Saleen but my car turns heads anyway. But I can drive around without going mad about damaging the car, and that makes it a lot more fun.

Good luck with your choice. If you have the option, keep them both. If you can only have one and you want to drive without worries: get the Termi.
It was a little bit more than it just getting hit. I actually drove it quite a bit, but not as much as I would have liked to. I drove it a lot for pleasure, even took it on a trip to Az and back from here in Cali and it drove like a champ. I was just putting small amounts of wear and tear on it here and there, not really good for a Porsche. It needs to be driven and driven daily. The driving I was doing with it was not really letting it get up to operating temps before I was parking it again. It was actually pretty shameful. I kept it good condition though. In the end, I decided to sell it and made a pretty good profit for it. Now I have an 03 Termi sitting in the driveway. I freaking love that thing! lol. It's just as fun to drive as the Porsche and it has the HP in stock form that I was gonna have to spend quite a bit of money to get with the Porsche. This thing turns heads too, not like the 911 did, but it is definitely turning heads and I think I'm pretty happy with my decision as I'm not missing the Porsche half as much as I thought I would be. The advice in this thread was great, too and I thank everyone for it. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online